Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Just Another Car on the Road

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 12:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Another Car on the Road

It might be a good performer, but it looks just like every other new car on the road to me. What was GM thinking?
Old 10-07-2003, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Just Another Car on the Road

i agree
it looks just like any other car on the road and thats what i dont like about it. just cant wait for a ram air type hood and see what it does for it.
atleast its got a ls1. thats all its got going for it right now
Old 10-10-2003, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just like the GTO in 64 looked like every other car on the road in 64.

The compulink system at the drag strip doesn't determine the winner on who is more "Stylish" or who has better interior accomodations.

When you're driving it, you can't really see it's styling, but you sure as hell can feel the power, sit in a much higher quality interior and bring along some friends to enjoy the experience.

But then again, most people who complain (besides the old Goaters) are those who's precious but antiquated F-Body is dieing. You know, the car that has a chassis that twists like a pretzel, warping brakes, heavy cumbersome doors, slow and dead power windowed, slow hatch releasing, catalytic converter hump in the middle of the passenger footwell, enormous dash and useless backseats. But hey, they had flaring nostrils, bat mobile like wings body cladding, catfish grills, elongated windshields to be "stylish"!

Don't get me wrong, I love my Camaro, but I now have Camaro like performance in a much more user friendly package.

Like someone else said in their private review of a GTO, if we waited for GM to build this car on their own, allow them to style it the way everyone wants, certify it with the U.S. Government, chances are you wouldn't even be see this car!!

Also, I have a feeling that when people actually start seeing them in person, they'll like them a lot more. Sometimes pictures don't pick up flowing curves, muscle bulges, etc that the human eye does.
Old 10-11-2003, 02:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A buddy of mine drove one of the pre-production cars and described it as a grown-up Trans Am. Meaning it has the ***** of the TA, with the comfort an adult would want (no rattles, nice cockpit, leather, nice sound system, etc.). That's pretty much what I expected when I preordered mine. And if it was all about the racetrack, I'd be buying an '80's mustang LX 5.0 - and if it was all about styling, I'd get an 'american ricer' like a newer saturn and spend the extra 10k I'd have on glasswork to make it unique. I want a daily driver w/ some style, oomph and comfort - and I think that's what I'm getting.
Dan D.
Old 10-11-2003, 03:22 PM
TECH Junkie

To each his own. Hope you enjoy it too the max. Of course you know that most folks who buy brand new cars are those that just want to keep up with the Jones (status symbol). Hand the man your money and instantly remove 5,000.99 from the value. I'll take the old goat.
Old 10-11-2003, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dale MX,

Who's this Jones character? My GTO will kick his butt when it comes in. Tell Jones I'm lookin' for his sorry ^ss. And just for the record. I think a lot of GTO buyers are former F-body owners / enthusiasts that are ready for a solid performance car with a "not so" solid rear axle. Anyone wanting to keep up with this Jones guy can go buy a 350Z or a G35.
Old 10-11-2003, 09:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Have fun with your new goat cvp33. If you dont mind me asking, how much did it cost you? What will the insurance be like? When will you get it? When are you going to show us how it kicks fbody butt?

I dont think so.
Old 10-12-2003, 01:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

DaleMX,

My order # is GMKQ0C and I have a TPW of 11/3 with a projected delivery date of late January. Impulse Blue, Blue interior with 6 speed, very similar, if not the same as electron blue on the Z06. Here's the link:
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/gtolist.php?s=
Mine will be GMS pricing. With MSRP @ $33k to $35k, I should be around $28 - $30k. As far as insurance goes, my 1997 Anniversary Z28 cost me around $500 annually. However, Virginia is known for low insurance rates as long as you don't have too many tickets. As far as kicking F-body butt, that was never the intent. But since you asked, it already does. Premium interior with high grade leather and aluminum accents (no cheap plastic), IRS (vs. solid rear and constant buzz), and 6 speed. I already had the f-body toy, I'm ready for an upgrade.
Old 10-12-2003, 09:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Wow, that is a long wait. I know your excited about getting it. And it looks affordable. Post some pics when you can. Is the exhaust the only difference for the HP boost? IRS is nice. Have fun, I like seeing more american muscle in any form. Enjoy.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

All Pontiac will say at this time is that the GTO's LS1 has been upgraded by a more aggressive cam yielding a fatter and lower rpm torque curve. I'm sure that the true dual exhaust helped with breathing but all they released with regard to that was how hard they worked at making the car sound like a GTO. As far as the pictures go, someone will post them long before me. The first boat leaves Australia on 10/21. Obviously mine won't be on it.
Old 10-12-2003, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

"Of course you know that most folks who buy brand new cars are those that just want to keep up with the Jones (status symbol). Hand the man your money and instantly remove 5,000.99 from the value. I'll take the old goat. "

From what I've seen, the amount I'm going to instantly remove from the value of the GTO is comparable or less than anybody else who buys a new car and drives it off the lot. If it was about economy, I'd keep driving the '95 Saturn year-round instead of as a winter car. I was thinking an Audi, but the one I'd get is about $40k+. Then I was thinking an S2000 - at least it's R(ight)WD. Then came the GTO info. The price is about the same, it's (kind of) an American car, and I get a nice sounding V8 to go with - the GTO is the car for me. And I most definitely will enjoy it - thanks.
Dan D.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Sorry, I just cant see spending that much money on a new car. Modding an old one yes, but new, no way. ****, you could pay off my house with that.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:19 AM
On The Tree

But then again, most people who complain (besides the old Goaters) are those who's precious but antiquated F-Body is dieing. You know, the car that has a chassis that twists like a pretzel, warping brakes, heavy cumbersome doors, slow and dead power windowed, slow hatch releasing, catalytic converter hump in the middle of the passenger footwell, enormous dash and useless backseats. But hey, they had flaring nostrils, bat mobile like wings body cladding, catfish grills, elongated windshields to be "stylish"!
Above quote was written by "CMNTMXR57"...

Guys, as somebody who has owned an F-body before, but lives in Aus and have a had a few years with the Monargto, you will all be plesently surpised with the GTO, if you insist on sales gimicks that sold cars back in the 60's then buy some fiberglass kits that are sure to appear and put them on the damn thing!!
I currently own a 4 door Holden (with an LS1), it's got over 50,000 miles (see converted to Imp for you!), not one interior rattle. My old F-body creaked and groned just sitting still!! The only rattles my Holden has are from the engine bay, and guess where that bit is made!!.
Fact is, around a track, the GTO will leave an Fbody for dead, and it doesn't even need 'RAM Air" to do it!!.
Now onto the interior quality comparison of the C5 and GTO....ahh, maybe not, I'll offend too many.
To those with an open mind who have purchased a GTO, welcome to the year 2004 where a car must do more than a 1/4 mile at a time.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^ so hybrid civic for u huh?

so, ANYWAYS...the car being named the GTO is a gimmick. that it's not even livnig up to.

they might as well have stuck a ls1 in a grand prix, that would also beat a f-bod around a track, but at what cost.

then again, the f-body will beat it in a 1/4 and in the street.

solid axle is good for something afterall, also it looks like it will weigh even morethan the f-bods, not great at all.

your holden is a pig compared to a z06, and all it has is an earlier c5 engine. and the name of a Machine that far outperformed its competition in styling and performance UNLIKE the new holden.

i'm not open minded enough to buy a grand prix with an ls1 in it. hell no.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Excal,

We've already heard your argument for months and the facts just don't warrant your criticism. The more you learn the more valid your points will be. Read up on NewAgeGTO and LS1GTO. We already fought and won your argument long ago.

Old 10-13-2003, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dale, since no "Jones" with muscle cars live in my neighborhood other than the two juveniles who own old Fox body Stangs, I fail to see how I will be "keeping up with them"

It'll be parked proudly in the garage right next to the Z28 and ready when ANYONE wants to deal with them.

As to insurance, that's a lame excuse! Since it will be registered as a "secondary/recreational" vehicle with less than 7,500 miles driven annually, I probably won't pay much more semi-annually for it than I do my Z28 which is set up the same way. I pay just over $300 semi-annually on that. So it won't be breaking my bank account.

Ex, I can only hope someone like myself in their Grand Prix, errr, GTO pulls up next to you, then blows your doors off. Then you can mumble to yourself all your miscellaneous ramblings while he savors another victory.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:58 PM
TECH Junkie

2200 lbs of LS1 baby, you gotta long way to go.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

DaleMX,

That is a very nice power to weight ratio.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Anyway, enjoy your new rides! I'll get off my soapbox about the new car thing (being a huge waste of money). Have fun all! Oh after you guy's get tired of the ride, or go broke trying to pay for it, I'll buy it from you at 1/4 the price.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

$8,000 GTO? Maybe in about 7 years. By then mine will be more than slightly used. All miles driven will be happy ones though.

Quick Reply: Just Another Car on the Road