Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Any way to tell if they faked the miles on my buddy GTO

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any way to tell if they faked the miles on my buddy GTO

I bought a 06 GTO over a year ago. got maybe 27k miles of hard driving.
My friend went out bought a 05 or 06 not sure but has 30k miles on it. It rides sloppy feels more wore out i guess.

Is there a way to check to see if the miles been messed with ? Or maybe i just got lucky
Old 01-31-2009, 05:29 PM
TECH Resident

I highly doubt your odometer was edited/altered in someway.

It probably has a sloppy ride to it due to the suspension. The suspension on these cars is terrible in stock form on some cars(longevity wise). This was due to how they were shipped from Australia over here to the U.S. I know this was the case for some years, somebody correct me if I'am wrong.

The cars handle very well just that the bushings or struts (or something related) give out at around 30Kmiles. It happens to most cars.

Whatever needs to be replaced is an easy fix. The suspension in the GTO's has a bunch of flaws but once addressed via parts from the aftermarket (i.e. Pedders, Noltec etc..) it's fixed and smooth sailing on-wards.

Alignment is one thing you want to check while your at it.

Hope this helps. Do a search about GTO suspension and I'am sure your problem has been delt with before.

Last edited by AlexLs1; 01-31-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:43 PM
Staging Lane

Does the gauge cluster match whats supposed to be in the car? If it has different color face, or has the shift light turned on, or any type of modifications, the cluster may have been swapped out for a different one. the mileage stays with the cluster when its removed. If everything is matching and stock there is no real way to tell if it was swapped.

Look into the bushings as stated above as well.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

All depends on the driving conditions, if it's an auto or manual (yes, that actually matters) and how much time the car sits.

The springs on these cars are crap. Auto cars are always "loaded" when in gear. So already saggy weak springs in the rear just get worse. Making the car feel even worse.

Bad front struts happened alot on the 2006 cars right off the boat. most were swapped out at the dealerships. And if your car had this happen, then your suspension was better to start off with.

These cars have bad issues with radius rod bushings and strut mounts. Strut mounts can be checked as well as the radius rod bushings. When the radios rod bushings go, the braking power is decreased and the handeling suffers from bad caster. Strut mounts affect camber. And if they are bad enough, you will have a "loose" feeling.

I would suggest contacting a Pedders dealer or stopping by one to have the suspensions checked on both cars. Not saying you have to buy parts from them. Just have them check it fully to see what is bad. they will take care of you.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BAAD LS2
Does the gauge cluster match whats supposed to be in the car? If it has different color face, or has the shift light turned on, or any type of modifications, the cluster may have been swapped out for a different one. the mileage stays with the cluster when its removed. If everything is matching and stock there is no real way to tell if it was swapped.

Look into the bushings as stated above as well.
You're making a wild assumption about a modified cluster meaning the mileage isn't right. Chris White, the only guy I know of that modifies the programming in clusters, matches the VIN and mileage in the new cluster to the old one. There is a chance somebody bought a used one and tried putting it in their car, but if they did it would throw a code in the BCM.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SMOKINV8
You're making a wild assumption about a modified cluster meaning the mileage isn't right. Chris White, the only guy I know of that modifies the programming in clusters, matches the VIN and mileage in the new cluster to the old one. There is a chance somebody bought a used one and tried putting it in their car, but if they did it would throw a code in the BCM.
I'm makin no such wild assumptions. Chris sells brand new 0 mile clusters. Who is to say someone didn't buy one and throw it in? There is no way to tell and its a very feasible option. I didn't say thats what it is for sure, just giving my opinion on what else it could be aside from junk bushings.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SMOKINV8
Chris does not match the mileage in a new cluster to the one in the car, I have a $450 paperweight "0000000" mile cluster for my car, programmed for my vin with the shift light enabled.

He only works on new clusters he sells (not quite sure why, since he won't match the mileage) or the customers cluster, and won't alter mileage (the right thing to do)

I've heard the ECM stores the mileage, but I've never been able to get my tech2 to read it on the bench.

Ryan
Old 02-03-2009, 08:49 AM
Staging Lane

You assume his car was stock as it was that way when you bought it. If you read here all the demod people selling heads/cam/superchargers/nos kits so they can sell there cars....... Hmmm maybe he just got one thats shiny but ragged way worse than yours. You really have to look a car over very hard and drive it before deciding especially a performance car.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:25 PM
11 Second Club

go to the ls1gto.com board and ask this question. You will get more valid answers than you will ever need.

BTW, +1 on the bushings & springs. But you might want to add flaccid motor mount and tranny mount to that list if the car was beat on.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Probably just more "driven" of a vehicle....

Not everyone takes care of their cars like **** retentive enthusiasts do.

Quick Reply: Any way to tell if they faked the miles on my buddy GTO