Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

taking the gto to the track

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default taking the gto to the track

hows it goin guys? i dont post too often here. but i was wondering if any of yall could give me some advice for when i go to the track in a couple weeks, hoping to get some decent times out of this goat. i have only been to the track like 2 times with the car and havent been since i have actually done stuff to it to make it move a little easier, i have ported and polished heads, 232/240 .615.605 lift 114lsa camshaft, hsw plate kit, ls7 clutch, drag bags, and prostars with mickey thompson et streets out back. i was wondering what yall think i should set my tires and my drag bags at, i know your suppose to air the right one up more than the left, but i was wondering what others have done for this. oh and thanks for reading and ill try to get some video.
thanks,
jawsh

Last edited by 1_fast_gto; 03-22-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

-Drop the MT's to about 15-17lbs
-I run 15-18lbs in my bags
(You're going to have to make some adjustments based on your launch, but thats a starting point for ya)
-Do a nice 2nd gear burnout and get some heat in the mickeys

I'm assuming (HOPING!) you have a good tune and have atleast had it on a dyno.

A little more info on the setup would help.
How much dope? Progressive controller or WOT switch?
HP/Tq with the shot?
Tire size? (275/50/15 I'm assuming)

As far as launch RPM goes....I need some more info but I'd say, as long as its hooking, 4-4500 would be ok. And you'll just have to play with it from there.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:28 PM
Launching!

Make sure to tech in first! haha.. sorry couldn't resist being as I made a fool of myself this way.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:23 PM
12 Second Club

What Gconnoyer said. Me personally for launching is around 5k and do a knee jerk on the clutch.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

its 150 shot, tuned by me,(before you flame me for tuning it myself on the street, i have a pretty good understanding on how the ecm works as i am a driveability tech for a GM dealership)i mean the car drives really nice down the street even with the healthy camshaft it has also, i have a wideband controller and gauge that stays in the car. wot afr is 12.8 off the dope and right around 12.5 on dope. its a wot switch. 4k rpm and dump the clutch? that sounds scary, i dont have upgraded axles or anything of that nature. do you think it will be ok? lol not doubting yall, i just want a good starting point.
thanks guys.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

let us know how it goes!! get some video
Old 03-22-2011, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1904gto
let us know how it goes!! get some video
will do sir.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:17 PM
Launching!

I told you, the axles are gonna go with mickeys lol I launched my street tires at 4k and spun just barely last time and didnt break. But my friends first pass on et streets with my cam launching at like 3500 broke his axle the first pass lol
Old 03-22-2011, 11:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

every car is diff, im still on et streets 16" stock axles
and gconnoyer is still stock axles on 15 et drags,
im launchin at 4500 5k and he is prolly high 5ks
Old 03-23-2011, 03:16 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1_fast_gto
its 150 shot, tuned by me,(before you flame me for tuning it myself on the street, i have a pretty good understanding on how the ecm works as i am a driveability tech for a GM dealership)i mean the car drives really nice down the street even with the healthy camshaft it has also, i have a wideband controller and gauge that stays in the car. wot afr is 12.8 off the dope and right around 12.5 on dope. its a wot switch. 4k rpm and dump the clutch? that sounds scary, i dont have upgraded axles or anything of that nature. do you think it will be ok? lol not doubting yall, i just want a good starting point.
thanks guys.
So lets make a conservative guess and say you're at +/-550whp....

You're gonna have to do one of two things to hurt/save parts...if you're spraying a 150 right out of the hole.

Since you have the radials (stiff sidewall) they're not going to absorb any of the drivetrain shock like a bias ply would.
-So the best thing for you to do would be to slip the clutch when you launch (hurt your clutch, save your axles/stubs)
-If you dont feel that you're short timing fast enough, then you can sidestep it and just let er eat....if you're feeling lucky. (hurt your axles, save the clutch)

IF IT WHEEL HOPS GET OUT OF IT!!
This is what will destroy your axles, if the launch doesnt.

I've been lucky enough to put about 120 passes on my car, sidestepping it on sticky tires.
I used to run ET Streets, have ET Drags now.
I do a 6k launch, and there isnt much slipping you can do with a 6puck monster clutch lol.

Do a good long burnout, and sidestep it at about 4k.
If it hooks and bogs, bump up the RPM, if it spins, back it down.

Most of all though, if this is your first time at the track...just get comfortable with everything. You're not going to set any records your first time out so if something doesnt feel right (for any reason) just cruise down the track and check it out in the pits.

Keep us posted!!
Old 03-23-2011, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gconnoyer
So lets make a conservative guess and say you're at +/-550whp....

You're gonna have to do one of two things to hurt/save parts...if you're spraying a 150 right out of the hole.

Since you have the radials (stiff sidewall) they're not going to absorb any of the drivetrain shock like a bias ply would.
-So the best thing for you to do would be to slip the clutch when you launch (hurt your clutch, save your axles/stubs)
-If you dont feel that you're short timing fast enough, then you can sidestep it and just let er eat....if you're feeling lucky. (hurt your axles, save the clutch)

IF IT WHEEL HOPS GET OUT OF IT!!
This is what will destroy your axles, if the launch doesnt.

I've been lucky enough to put about 120 passes on my car, sidestepping it on sticky tires.
I used to run ET Streets, have ET Drags now.
I do a 6k launch, and there isnt much slipping you can do with a 6puck monster clutch lol.

Do a good long burnout, and sidestep it at about 4k.
If it hooks and bogs, bump up the RPM, if it spins, back it down.

Most of all though, if this is your first time at the track...just get comfortable with everything. You're not going to set any records your first time out so if something doesnt feel right (for any reason) just cruise down the track and check it out in the pits.

Keep us posted!!
thanks for all the info, i have learned my lesson about the wheel hop one other time i went to the track on stock tires, i was wheel hoping and it broke my upper radiator hose off and cracked the tank. what do you mean by side step it? and i was planning on reaching for the arming switch once the car got moving a little bit. not necessarily right out of the hole, but if i get froggy i might hit it out of the hole. ill let yall know how it goes on april 2nd lol
Old 03-23-2011, 06:27 PM
11 Second Club

Sidestepping is just dumping the clutch.
-sidestepping off the pedal. No slipping. You might pull a better 60' but your car might like a little slippage.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gconnoyer
Sidestepping is just dumping the clutch.
-sidestepping off the pedal. No slipping. You might pull a better 60' but your car might like a little slippage.
ok gotcha, gotta freshin up on my lingo
Old 03-24-2011, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

good luck!
any pics of your car? i like the rim drag setup
Old 03-25-2011, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

well guys, doesnt look like ill make it to the track next weekend afterall, was out playing around with some mustangs and the clutch/trans ate **** last night...oh well, im gonna pull it out this weekend and look at it. oh well gotta pay to play right?

a4ls2goat: yes i got some pictures ill try to upload them real quick, the last one is just for a laugh...to much paint that night i guess

and heres a video from last sunday against my buddys 470ish rwhp vette.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL_dk7ptkKs
Attached Thumbnails taking the gto to the track-prostars.jpg   taking the gto to the track-img_3971.jpg   taking the gto to the track-img_9959.jpg  
Old 03-25-2011, 08:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

12.5 afr may put 7 in the tailpipe.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

Um ok?
Old 03-30-2011, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

i think #1 was saying 12.5 afr might be alittle lean on the drugs. id shoot for 11.5 and give up a hp or 2 and live to fight another day.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the advice...well i wont be making it to the track, i destroyed my transmission on thursday night with a procharged mustang and a mach 1 swapped gt on the highway in tow lol
so monday i tore the transmission down and found that my first gear drive gear bearing came apart and seixed to the mainshaft and that the gear got so hot it melted the 2nd drive gears bearing cage. im going to be doing a 32 spline mainshaft conversion once i get the parts back from machining i will reassemble them and do a 1 piece drive shaft.... heres some carnage pics.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

thanks for lookin
Old 03-30-2011, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

those parts look fine to me.just pour them back in the case and u are good to go ! LOL.....thats nasty ! i think u found the limits of the factory parts. good luck on the rebuild