GTO GO? or GTO NO?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default GTO GO? or GTO NO?

I like the power the GTO has, but I think the car could
of looked more BAD-*** ! far from looking that . what
do you all think ?????????????????????????????????????
Old 03-02-2004, 05:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the interior, but the body design hasn't grown on me yet. GM still has alot of work ahead of them when the new Mustang comes out.
i'm still 50/50 on the GTO.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

It reminds me of a slightly bigger Cavalier. I'll have to see one up close and in person for any further judgment.

Ross
Old 03-02-2004, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's got an LS1, and it's RWD, which is good enough for me.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:13 PM
7 Second Club

I've already seen one, and if I had the $$$ I'd probably trade the formula for it. Better seats front and back, granted the styling is a little conservative but I like it! Hopefully I can take one out for spin soon

Derek
Old 03-03-2004, 02:25 AM
Banned

The styling does seam conservative however the car looks like no other on the road it has a charisma like the GTO with its bright colours (remenicient of old GM australia holden monaros). I like how the front tires kinda stick out from under the fenders slightly give the car a nice stance. As for the exhaust I havn't driven one yet but have heard in person and the exhaust sounded like my truck with the flowmaster. The car is a success weather people on this board approve or disapprove of it, pontiac dealers can't keep em in stock.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's very nice - I FINALLY got to drive one - I figured mine would have been here by now since my order was accepted the first week in august - but anyway...

It's very nice. It was wet, so I couldn't really get on it much, but there's definitely much more punch than you need for daily driving. At the same time, the car drove smooth and easy on takeoff (M6) and felt very comfortable in a parking lot - daily driving situation. It needs a dead pedal - not because it would be bad putting my foot on the floor, but because my foot doesn't fit between the clutch and the wall well.

That being said, I'm not sure how well this car will do. It doesn't fit any existing car type. The exhaust noise and GTO name will probably be too much for the typical bmw-audi driver that Pontiac says they are targetting. The looks are too plain for the typical f-body crowd (although I disagree - the car looks absolutely gorgeous to me). It really is going to have to create it's own niche to do well, and I'm not sure it will. Doesn't matter much to me if it does - I'm going to have mine and that's the cool part.
Dan
Old 03-03-2004, 07:39 AM
TECH Addict

I'm trying to reserve judgement until next year when Pontiac claims to release a stronger car with some styling ques that didn't make '04 production. That said I just don't feel like the car looks like a $30K car. I hope that after the updates the car looks a little more aggresive and upscale, until then I would rather get a G35 in that price range, it may be slower, but handles better, looks more upmarket and you get much better post sale support from Infiniti. Pontiac has done nothing but treat me like dirt at the dealership. If they want to sell a Pontiac for a BMW price they need to think about offering BMW customer service as Infiniti has done.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't plan on having this car at the dealership after it is purchased. I am not extending the warranty for the fact that I plan on modding the car and don't want to worry about voiding it. In that regard - I don't think I'm the typical buyer.
Dan
Old 03-03-2004, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

I had to take my '98 TA in numerous times for recalls and minor warranty repair work. Each time it's been a nightmare. Buddy of mine took his BMW 330Ci in for some work a couple of years ago and they gave him a 530 Loaner. Imagine that, giving you a loaner nicer than your original car? Might encourage a person to upgrade. Me I never got a loaner nicer than a Grand Am....ugh
Old 03-03-2004, 12:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

they look just like a damn grand prix, not a muscle car. i personally hate the way they look. way too conservative.....ugly. but thats just my opinion, i guess im bitter about them replacin the T/A.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:38 PM
Chop-Foo Director

This isn't a replacement for the TA, so don't be bitter about that.

Trust me on this, these cars look much better in person. I was at
the first and so far biggest gathering of privately owned GTO's on
the planet, and let me tell you, i was impressed. Look in here for
my post of pictures at the "goat meet".
Old 03-03-2004, 12:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

i know its not an actual replacement. i have seen them up close, nice interior, bad exterior, but its just my opinion.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:33 PM
Launching!

I'm not a fan of the exterior styling at all, but the interior does seem impressive.

As for a note on the customer service at the Pontiac Dealerships.. The dealership here in San Antonio is a Nightmare. Even if i saw a car i really wanted on thier lot, i'd have second thoughts about it just do to having to deal with so much BS.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

there's about 6 of them at bowser pontiac near my house. i was thinking about stoppin and test drivin one for the hell of it.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Hasn't this been beaten to death already?

For God's sake, the Grand Nationals were plain black Regals, the Impala SS was a Caprice with a Corvette engine, the GMC turbos were regular GMC trucks with a monotone paint scheme, and the original GTOs were Pontiac economy cars with more power. Yet nobody whined about how they looked, it was all about what they were capable of and the fun of driving them and that has made nice examples of each all valuable now.

It's really a shame that GM brings a world class car here that doesn't look like a bloated walleye or humpy thing a child would sketch with a crayon and it seems everyone who appreciated GM performance before can't appreciate it now.

If the F-body was all that and a bag of chips, it would still be in production, and GM would be selling them hand over fist, but that didn't happen.

As it is, I haven't driven a GTO yet, but the features, powertrain, total package and QUALITY are much better than many other new performance cars you can buy for the money, and it totally ***** all over what the WS6 and SS cost when they were new (they were about acceleration, and pretty much nothing else).

I came very close to buying a new BMW 330Ci until this car was announced, now I think I'll buy a GTO instead. So chalk one up to Pontiac for getting one young man away from buying something else with the new GTO's winning combination of American muscle, quality assembled luxurious accomodations, European ride/handling, and mature styling.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks for the history lesson, it was so educational. i bet nobody on here knew that stuff about those cars (cough). they cost 30 some thousand dollars and you think that is cheaper than fbodies? anyway people are stating their opinion, if anyone has beaten this to death it is you and your stupid essay you just posted. congratulations if you buy one.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by warbird27
thanks for the history lesson, it was so educational. i bet nobody on here knew that stuff about those cars (cough). they cost 30 some thousand dollars and you think that is cheaper than fbodies? anyway people are stating their opinion, if anyone has beaten this to death it is you and your stupid essay you just posted. congratulations if you buy one.
Thank you, thank you. I'm so glad you appreciated it.

And yes, the GTO is a better all around value than the T/A was.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by warbird27
He makes a point clear as water. So for all the people who wanna buy BORING 330i (BMWs interpretation of a toyota corolla) Sneezan G35 go theif oxygen in some other part of the internet.

Ok This car has the best interior of a GM car, Handles reasonable well specially for a daily driver, has a 350hp 365ft/lbs, TRUE dual exhaust, 6 SPEED. It dont look like a Ferrari ENZO but it encaptures the original GTOs plain car with HD drivetrain. The GTO name was stollen from ferrari by GM and all the GTO was a tempest with a 389 tri power. If the GTO had have played out without the gas crunch it probley would have evolved into the car we see today.

Unlike the Fbody the GTO is versitile and yes its not $3,600 w/ 455 4 speed its $30k for a car today is reasonable a Grand Prix GTP is probley only a few G less. But yeah the original GTO could be found for $4,000 off the lot but needed ball joints and rear main seal every two years not to mention drum brakes all round. Now we have a car that may never need ball joints has 18" mag wheels an LS1 engine that makes 350hp and still get 28mpg highway.

OK 2004 toyota Solara XLE or 04 GTO both cars 30k, their is no argument that the GTO is the better buy. Maybe if you like toyota reliability their customer service but option for option the GTO is the best car available right now.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You know - for a long time I kept trying to sell this car to people who came onto the GTO boards and didn't like it. I've realized it doesn't matter if nobody else in the world likes the car, it's the car for me and that's that. Other than possibly some different wheel options, I wouldn't change a thing (oh, and a dead pedal, or more room to the left of the clutch). I'm actually hoping for changes in '05 (gaudy hood scoops or something) because that will make my car even more special.

Quick Reply: GTO GO? or GTO NO?