Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Mods already on car

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 06:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mods already on car

Hey guys. I just bought a procharged 2005 GTO. I'm just trying to understand the mods that are on the car and what it is capable of. According to receipts that came with the car it has an intercooled Procharger D1 upgrade with race BOV Direct kit, 60# matched injectors, LPE fuel pump, magnaflow catback and HP tuners. The dyno sheet that came with the car shows 487 rwhp and 432 tq. I'm trying to read and learn as much as I can on all the forums. The previous owner said the car is capable of 600 rwhp with a tune. Do I have enough supporting mods for the 600 hp or did the previous owner mean the D1 is capable of reaching that level? Would the mods that I mentioned alone get to the HP levels on the dyno sheet or are there possibly some mods that i'm missing? No headers or cam. Sorry for the long question. Just trying to learn what I got. Thanks
Old 11-03-2011, 07:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

seems like a nice setup. looks like you have proper fuel upgrades to handle more power.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
seems like a nice setup. looks like you have proper fuel upgrades to handle more power.
Thanks. There's a lot of opinions out there. I've read that 60# inj and the LPE pump are good for 500 hp and the next level pump would take it to 600+.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

i'm a little thrown off by the "car has hp tuners" and "is capable of 600 with a tune." it's either tuned or he knows it's done shitty. from what you're saying it seems that it is just procharged and that's it.
the D1 can get you there but you're going to need some more mods. a good blower cam will really wake it up along with a GOOD tune to keep the bottom end safe. i wouldn't do much more than that until you get a good bottom end.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sergo
i'm a little thrown off by the "car has hp tuners" and "is capable of 600 with a tune." it's either tuned or he knows it's done shitty. from what you're saying it seems that it is just procharged and that's it.
the D1 can get you there but you're going to need some more mods. a good blower cam will really wake it up along with a GOOD tune to keep the bottom end safe. i wouldn't do much more than that until you get a good bottom end.
I should have clarified. I found a $650 receipt for HP Tuners. Previous owner said it has a conservative tune but is capable of 600 hp. Not sure if he meant as it is or after more mods.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CutchZ
I should have clarified. I found a $650 receipt for HP Tuners. Previous owner said it has a conservative tune but is capable of 600 hp. Not sure if he meant as it is or after more mods.
Do you understand what "HP Tuners" is? That receipt means nothing unless he gave you the MPVI cable.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ShoddyHog
Do you understand what "HP Tuners" is? That receipt means nothing unless he gave you the MPVI cable.
Yes, I was just stating that he apparently tuned his car himself after buying the program and it was included in his receipts that came with the car.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, I was just stating that he apparently tuned his car himself after buying the program and it was included in his receipts that came with the car.
Cool. Glad I asked instead of explaining it first. Yeah, I'm that lazy.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:00 AM
TECH Regular

how does the car run? just from what your saying all it has is a D1. As others above stated, throw in a good blower cam, some new heads and a "good" tune and you'll make alot more then you are now!
Old 11-04-2011, 07:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

One thing is for sure...if I thought an owner tuned his own Procharged car, I would be careful until I was sure the tune was safe. Does the dyno shee show AFR?
Old 11-04-2011, 08:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The car may be capable of 600rwhp, but not because of a tune.

More boost and more fueling sure, but just a more aggressive tune won't get you anywhere near 600. Might be able to pick up 10-15 with a great tune over the conservative one you have now.

If you can, throw some long tubes on there also. That alone will bring you in the low 500s.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:25 AM
Teching In

One thing is for sure...if I thought an owner tuned his own Procharged car, I would be careful until I was sure the tune was safe. Does the dyno shee show AFR?
You might have to help me on this one. It does show AFR. The dotted red line is at 12 straight across. I assume that's the safe area??? My reading, a basically straight blue line pretty much mirrors the red dotted line. It dips to about 11.5 at 3500 RPM but stays steady at about 12. Is this good?
Old 11-04-2011, 09:42 AM
Teching In

I have a friend with an '05 that has the base pro charger kit. With long tubes and a comp blower cam he made 55x at the wheels on 5 or 6 psi. Whatever pulley the blower came with. It's a six speed car btw.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by nick.celis
how does the car run? just from what your saying all it has is a D1. As others above stated, throw in a good blower cam, some new heads and a "good" tune and you'll make alot more then you are now!
Originally Posted by redtan
The car may be capable of 600rwhp, but not because of a tune.

More boost and more fueling sure, but just a more aggressive tune won't get you anywhere near 600. Might be able to pick up 10-15 with a great tune over the conservative one you have now.

If you can, throw some long tubes on there also. That alone will bring you in the low 500s.
Thanks for the info. LT's and a cam are next, but its going to be awhile.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:35 AM
TECH Regular

Just as an FYI- The stock fuel system is capable of 500 rear wheel hp. I have pretty close to the same fuel system as you, Walbro intank pump, kenne bell boost a pump, 60 lb/hr injectors, aeromotive fuel rails and my car makes 550+ at the tires thru a 4L80e A4 trans. Your set-up could easily make 600+ with more boost and good tuning.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

You might have to help me on this one. It does show AFR. The dotted red line is at 12 straight across. I assume that's the safe area??? My reading, a basically straight blue line pretty much mirrors the red dotted line. It dips to about 11.5 at 3500 RPM but stays steady at about 12. Is this good?
Wish I could answer that, but it has been so long since I've hung out in a tuner forum or HP Tuner's site I don't remember. I've only done N/A tuning, and just know there's two things you have to do to make them safe...pull timing, and fatten it up in PE (Power Enrichment) mode.

From the sounds of it, it is probably ok. I just can't tell you if 12.0 is good enough. Too many other factors go into it, like how much boost you are running and on what octane gas.

I'm an old guy, so all that boost scares me. :-) I'd for sure have and AFR gage visible and something like a dashhawk or something to monitor for knock. Call me chicken.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:50 PM
Teching In

Wish I could answer that, but it has been so long since I've hung out in a tuner forum or HP Tuner's site I don't remember. I've only done N/A tuning, and just know there's two things you have to do to make them safe...pull timing, and fatten it up in PE (Power Enrichment) mode.

From the sounds of it, it is probably ok. I just can't tell you if 12.0 is good enough. Too many other factors go into it, like how much boost you are running and on what octane gas.

I'm an old guy, so all that boost scares me. :-) I'd for sure have and AFR gage visible and something like a dashhawk or something to monitor for knock. Call me chicken.
I'm an old guy too coming from the turbo buicks where I could just turn up the boost and run some high octane.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

About 11.5 - 11.7 is where I would feel most comfortable with the AFR.

I see that you are on LS1Tech also.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by m_williams
About 11.5 - 11.7 is where I would feel most comfortable with the AFR.

I see that you are on LS1Tech also.
That's good as long as that is a recent dyno that came with the car. I'm Buckeye 6.0 on BuckeyeGoats and LS1GTO. You're about an hour from me.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm an old guy too coming from the turbo buicks where I could just turn up the boost and run some high octane.
The "good old days"? lol

A few months ago, I was cleaning my garage and found my distributor wrench, timing light, and dwell meter. While I did sort of sigh and think to myself that things were more simple back then, I looked over at my laptop with HP Tuners fired up, and thought, "Nah, I sort of like this way of tuning better!"

I should correct myself too...F/I doesn't scare me all that much. Giggle juice though? That scares me.

Quick Reply: Mods already on car