Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

VERY confused, I'm over thinking it, Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 01:14 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VERY confused, I'm over thinking it, Help Please!

Hi everyone. I've gotta 98z28 m6 and soon I will be buying a new car. This will be a daily driver for the most part Except I'll probably try to buy a beater for the crappy weather months we get in KC but for the most part it'll be a DD.

I need help because I'm over thinking the C5 vs. LS2 GTO, both M6

My thoughts on the Vette:

I'm afraid it'll be TOO similar to my z28, I might not feel like I've upgraded... Both super plasticy inside and both the same engines... BUT that being said: Isn't the vette a completely different frame? I've heard it's structure makes for a 10x better ride quality and it's handling it's also much superior.

Other good things is that I can say I own a Vette and it'll keep it's value better than the GTO. And it's definitely a Eye catcher! I love it!

My thoughts on the GTO:

A much better interior,
A much newer car 04(minimum) vs 98(what I currently have),
Very comfy and seems more practical as a DD? Or that could be just me defending it (disagreement is encouraged in this thread!)

With that being said...
It's a dead brand(pontiac),
It'll lose it's value faster,
The look definitely doesn't live up to the vette, though I still do like it, I don't hate on it's plainness like others.

And with all my GTO and Vette points being said I'd just like to add this: I got my Camaro when I was 17 and am now close to 22(next month) and I've got my teenage ***-hole type of driving for the most part out of the way. I don't take off the line like I used to, I don't down shift from 4 to 2nd ect. ect. I still have fun with it... but I don't beat it to death lol So my next car will be 100x more babied! I'll have a winter beater, which I don't have right now for my camaro, and it'll be driven much more sanely, versus my 17yr old days lol

So with all that said, what do you guys suggest? And elaborating your point would be greatly appreciated

I also posted this on the Vette section just so I can see the bias opinions, which I actually like to see lol
Old 01-10-2012, 01:33 AM
On The Tree

first off, you downgraded a GTO to the fullest when you said it wont keep its value. the vette was made 2-3 times more than a GTO in production numbers. secondly, you have chosen two of the shittiest cars for winter driving. both being ls1 powered rear drive indipendant rear suspension cars. beings I own a 2004 gto yes I am partial over the vette, but seriously get a GTO and daily drive the camaro. the GTO will be worth way more in 5-10 years.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:36 AM
On The Tree

I meant worth more than the vette in 5-10 years. and I was just saying "winter driving" as in the fluke snow storm we all get caught in during early spring driving our hotrods.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

C5 vette non z06 = unimpressive if you already own an ls1 car
Old 01-10-2012, 05:28 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any c5 vette is an upgrade over a f body hands down, honest best buy c5z some great deals on those now adays
Old 01-10-2012, 06:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Very Confused...

I believe this will be relevant...especially since you mentioned the "wow" factor of being able to say you own a Corvette...

A while back I was at a high-end brokerage and I was constantly asked, "Should I buy a Porsche or a Ferrari?"

My response was always the same, "If you're at a party and someone asks you what you drive, if it's a Porsche, you'll need to spend the rest of the night rationalizing it's performance and quality. If it's a Ferrari, you'll spend the rest of the night scheduling rides!!"

Perception is reality...take advantage of it...

The GTO is really cool, but there is an adventure in your first true sports car

Just my opinion
Old 01-10-2012, 08:48 AM
On The Tree

Depends on what you want. The C5 is a sports car. The GTO is a grand touring car. The GTO is super comfortable on a trip and has a high quality interior. The C5 is a raw sports car. Keep in mind that the vette will feel faster with each mod because of the light weight.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:58 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

While I'm not quite sure I understand your two choices for "winter" driving, I had no problems driving my GTO in the winter when I lived in DC. I'm going to presume that KC winters are as mild as DC, so I'm sure you'll do just fine with a set of all-seasons (I ran BFG Super Sport A/S). The GTO is heavy, and considering the gas tank is right over the rear axle, traction really won't be a problem.

Unless you plan on a lot of modifications, I'd not even consider a C5 at this point -- especially for year-round driving.

Oh, and toss resale values out the door. The GTO, while produced in less quantities, is still just a GTO. If you're worried about it's value 15 years from now then you shouldn't be driving it in the first place, let alone in the winter.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

GTO over the vette all day long as a DD. question? What , you only have one friend ?LOL. Its nice to have a back seat!
Old 01-10-2012, 06:10 PM
Teching In

Having test drove both I really liked to own a vette but the GTO is more practial. I have a 06 GTO and could not be happier. It has a great ride and has plenty of room and and the interior is awesome.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:58 PM
12 Second Club

GTO all day if your purchasing the vehicle as a DD. Like others have said the Vette is more of a raw sports car. Both are amazing rides though.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

i love my gto. you cant beat it as a daily driver. very nice interior, good sound system (both speakers and exhaust lol), useable back seat (no problem having 6 foot friends in the back).. only thing that sucks is the tiny *** trunk. i took it on a 7 hour road trip with a buddy and the trunk was stuffed with 2 days worth of stuff between the two of us. although it was very comfortable inside.

from a performance standpoint, yes, the vette would be better mod for mod

from a dd standpoint, go for the gto you wont be disappointed.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

id never DD a vette where theres shitty weather.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:05 AM
Staging Lane

The vette is said to do slightly better on MPG, not much to brag about at all but idk how **** you wanna get...
1)if you drive alone more so or just you and your gf (go with the vette), if you have buddies get the goat
2)if money is at all a concern I can about garuntee you the vette's going to have higher ins. rates
3)The GTO is a classic, to many, started the muscle era, and will never be another GTO, so if you plan to hold on to this next purchase (which is sounds like you will since you wana baby it 100x more) get the GTO, cause some day people are going to look at you drive by and be like "holy ****, its a GTO!!!" or would you rather have--"oh hey another vette" Up to you obviously, and I don't think you will be disapointed with either one lol.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Coming from a 05 GTO and a C5 Zo6. I would say if you are looking at a C5 non-Z, then GTO 05-06 all the way. nothing wrong with the LS1 model, I just think coming from a LS1 Z28, going to a LS1 GTO would disappoint you. LS2 GTO is a better base and mods make it get up and roll. With just drs, I ran 12.7 @108. The GTO has a better quality than the Corvette. To be honest, I have an 08 Corvette and I feel the interior in my GTO was much better than my Vette's. You can't beat the nice comfortable feel of the GTO as a DD.

Quick Reply: VERY confused, I'm over thinking it, Help Please!