Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Cold Air Inductions Inc Intake questions(IAT)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cold Air Inductions Inc Intake questions(IAT)

So I just bought a 04 gto and the car has this intake on it
http://www.coldairinductions.com/sto...-air-intake-54

I saw my iat's in the high 150's low 160's. I took it off today to clean the MAF today and the pipe was scorching hot, almost to hot to touch. I was wondering if it would be better to get one made of plastic or what direction I should go in.

Granted its in the 90's today but with the IAT's that high the car feels like a dog, it just feels real slow and I was wondering if this could be why.

Any ideas on if I should keep this one and just get a plastic or if the ceramic coated would be better than plastic?
Old 08-04-2012, 04:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem is you bought a hot air intake. You can try doing an IAT relocate, but it may not help much.

The best solution is to get a Svede or Vararam intake. People are seeing within 10* of ambient with an IAT relocate and those.

EDIT: Get a Svede, just realized you have an 04.

Last edited by 409CISecondGen; 08-06-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 409CISecondGen
The problem is you bought a hot air intake. You can try doing an IAT relocate, but it may not help much.

The best solution is to get a Svede or Vararam intake. People are seeing within 10* of ambient with an IAT relocate and those.
It came on the car when I bought it. The sensor is located in the pipe, maybe this is the problem? The pipe gets very hot so maybe i should relocate it to the silicone coupler?
Old 08-04-2012, 05:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by silver86
It came on the car when I bought it. The sensor is located in the pipe, maybe this is the problem? The pipe gets very hot so maybe i should relocate it to the silicone coupler?
The main problem is where it's drawing air from.
You can relocate the sensor to a better location, but your car will still be sucking hot air, pulling timing, and killing power.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This.

The main problem is where it's drawing air from.
You can relocate the sensor to a better location, but your car will still be sucking hot air, pulling timing, and killing power.
And this.

What you have is essentially a "HAI" (Hot Air Intake). K&N, Aem, Volant...they all make similar intakes that draw air from the same place as the stock box and filter and none perform any better. The only real way to drop your IATs and increase your performance is to get an OTRCAI (Over the Radiator Cold Air Intake) and IAT sensor relocate. To date, the OTRCAIs for these cars are the Duspeed, Vararam, and Svede. The Duspeed looks atrocious, IMO, so I'd rule that one out. The Vararam and Svede are both good products, but I believe the Svede outperforms the Vararam and looks cleaner, too. Svede1212 is a part of this forum. PM him and he can hook you up with a tried and true product.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the CAI intake does alot better job at blocking the air from under the hood , than the other intakes out there

i had a speed inc plastic tube and 85mm maf , and the CAI air filter box and my iat's were low unless i was sitting still , or barely moving

vararam wont do him much good as its a 05-06 set up
Old 08-06-2012, 12:18 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s/c'd cav
vararam wont do him much good as its a 05-06 set up
Somebody on this forum just did a write up on putting a Vararam onto their '04. It can be done. And how hard can it possibly be? With some light searching, this thread could be found.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Disclaimer: I designed a different intake. Yes it does make me biased but it also made me look closely at the issues of putting one on this car and the short comings of alternatives.

The main difference between the LS1 and LS2 is the distance between the TB and the radiator. The '04 LS1 TB is closer to the radiator plus the LS1 MAF is longer too. The VR has been made to "fit" on the '04 but it's jammed in there pretty tightly even on the LS2 so it takes shortening the '04 MAF and trimming everything else up. Some have had MAF issues even on the LS2 especially after HP mods. In my opinion it may be because of the filter design, extremely short path for air straightening and being right on top of the TB (cam reversion). To get it to work right on any car you need to go to Home Depot and put on the "neck brace" of pipe foam around the top, insulate the bottom and IMO replace that floppy brass hose mender with a better PCV connection.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Inductions Inc Intake questions(IAT)