Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

I may need a tune for my 06 goat, any suggestions please?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I may need a tune for my 06 goat, any suggestions please?

I bought a 2006 GTO with cam, headers, hurst shifter.. as far as i know everything else is stock, exhaust (resonator back), intake, manifold and PCM.

The car pulls very strong, the previous owner ran nitrous so i know the car has been beat on..

I pulled my valve covers off to inspect a ticking noise to find i also have chromoly push-rods, titanium retainers and dual springs.. but stock GM rockers, which i was told it has zero back lash causing a tapping due to cam and springs upgrade.

(Also ill throw this out there, ive switched from the Tuner scene to Muscle so i am new to this particular car!) I wanted more power.. haha.

So my question is I believe i need a tune, my buddies who have GTO's and WS6's have told me this just because the sound of my car at idle.

Whats the best place and price i can get my car tuned??

Thank you!
Old 08-16-2012, 05:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A dyno tune is usually $400-500.

As far as where to go, it might help to know your location.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure it has been tuned already if it has cam, headers and he ran NO2. Whether it was tuned correctly, especially at idle, is the question. IF it was tuned on a dyno almost any monkey can tune a car for peak WOT power. It's the transitional and idle that's time consuming and harder.

As far a ticking, our LSx engines sound like sewing machines especially with an aftermarket cam and the plastic intake manifold. The rocker has zero lash plus an additional preload on the hydraulic lifters. The rockers are fine except sometime the needle bearings spew out and that causes a problem. Comp Cam has an inexpensive upgrade with bearing trunnions secured by C-clips.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

frost mail order tune
Old 08-16-2012, 06:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

where did your friends get tuned?
Old 08-17-2012, 08:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I pulled my valve covers off to inspect a ticking noise to find i also have chromoly push-rods, titanium retainers and dual springs
Pushrods and springs are absoultely necessary with a cam swap, so that's no surprise there. Actually it's a good thing showing that the previous owner did the cam swap right by getting all the required supporting parts.

So my question is I believe i need a tune, my buddies who have GTO's and WS6's have told me this just because the sound of my car at idle.
What makes you "believe you need a tune".

What do your buddies say your idle is doing that makes them think it needs a tune?
Old 08-17-2012, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Tim94gt
A dyno tune is usually $400-500.

As far as where to go, it might help to know your location.
$400+ is not bad, at least compared to older honda's ive done haha..

im located in surprise, AZ
Old 08-17-2012, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by svede1212
I'm sure it has been tuned already if it has cam, headers and he ran NO2. Whether it was tuned correctly, especially at idle, is the question. IF it was tuned on a dyno almost any monkey can tune a car for peak WOT power. It's the transitional and idle that's time consuming and harder.

As far a ticking, our LSx engines sound like sewing machines especially with an aftermarket cam and the plastic intake manifold. The rocker has zero lash plus an additional preload on the hydraulic lifters. The rockers are fine except sometime the needle bearings spew out and that causes a problem. Comp Cam has an inexpensive upgrade with bearing trunnions secured by C-clips.
Ok thank goodness that sound is normal!
I would like to upgrade to roller rockers next paycheck haha to eliminate the noise a tad but more efficient for power
any certain brand of rockers you'd suggest??
Old 08-17-2012, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by lsmaxxed
frost mail order tune
is this the name of a place or website?? thanks
Old 08-17-2012, 10:05 AM

REDTAN: my car hesitates at start-up, then after a couple seconds it idles normal and when i put it in neutral coming to a stop the RPM's drop down to almost stalling point then go back up to normal idle just like from start-up. And idk if its because i need a tune or because i have the stock exhaust mounted to the Pacesetter long tubes giving too much back-pressure?
Old 08-17-2012, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyclone-Goat
REDTAN: my car hesitates at start-up, then after a couple seconds it idles normal and when i put it in neutral coming to a stop the RPM's drop down to almost stalling point then go back up to normal idle just like from start-up. And idk if its because i need a tune or because i have the stock exhaust mounted to the Pacesetter long tubes giving too much back-pressure?
Hello Cyclone! I would just like to let you know that you can quote multiple people in the same post. Next to the "Quote" button, is a button that looks like "+. That adds multiple quotes to a single post. Welcome to LS1tech.

Nix
Old 08-17-2012, 12:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I would like to upgrade to roller rockers next paycheck haha to eliminate the noise a tad but more efficient for power
any certain brand of rockers you'd suggest??
Don't bother with new rockers, just get the comp cams trunion upgrade for your stock rockers. Much cheaper and will greatly reduce the sewing machine noise.

Doesn't sound like a tuning issue...that would be apparent throughout the rpm range not just at idle. I'd check your plugs, o2 sensors and clean the MAF before dropping $500 on a tune. Stock exhaust after the headers has nothing to do with what you're describing.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:48 PM
12 Second Club

Roller rockers aren't going to change that sound much. Also none short of Jessels are going to be more reliable than what you have with a trunnion upgrade
Old 08-17-2012, 04:47 PM
Now you have my attention

As said above, it doesn't sound like a tuning related issue, but if it is..

Originally Posted by Cyclone-Goat
$400+ is not bad, at least compared to older honda's ive done haha..

im located in surprise, AZ
Throw this guy an e-mail, he's the best in the valley for LSX tuning.

http://www.gonicd.com/camaroindex.html

Welcome to the herd!

Quick Reply: I may need a tune for my 06 goat, any suggestions please?