Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Can't stand my front license plate, anyone have pics of an alternate method?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 05:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can't stand my front license plate, anyone have pics of an alternate method?

My state law requires a front license place so don't suggest that. I just want to remove it and the damn bracket, fill the bumper, and find an alternate place to put it. I was thinking of cutting a strip off the bottom and fitting it on one side of the lower grille area set back in there?? I just don't know how it would look aside from my imagination. lol

Do any of you guys have different places to put it? and pics more importantly?!?

please help!! THANKS!!!
Old 11-13-2012, 06:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What state? In TX it's the law but I never follow it hahaha
Old 11-13-2012, 10:05 PM
TECH Regular

MO requires a front plate. I ignore that law. I've been pulled over one time for not having one. I informed the officer that the car is from another country where front plates are not required and that I would accept the ticket but refused to drill holes into my bumper. He didn't give me a hard time at all. No ticket...nothing. However, he did warn me tht a younger officer new to the force and looking to make a name for himself may not let me off so easily. Just food for thought.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

Maryland.

I could try to get away without it but I'd rather not risk it
Old 11-14-2012, 12:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Washington requires a front plate and i just ignore it. Never been pulled over for it.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:53 PM
TECH Regular

Suction cups on the windshield worked for me.

If you must spend money, there's plenty of motorized and spring loaded hide-a-way plate holders:
Old 11-14-2012, 04:45 PM
TECH Regular

NY requires one also, but I don't have one on either the GTO or the WS6...I've only pulled over once at 1am coming home from a friend's house in the GTO. I explained that the I didn't want to drill holes in my bumper and I actually had the front plate in the map pocket behind the dr. seat...he let me off w/ a "warning" saying that another officer might write me a ticket for it, though.

One of my friends put his on the pass. side sunvisor on his Cobra so w/ it flipped down the plate is visible, but he got a ticket here once because in NY, the plate has to technically be on the outside of the vehicle, even though it was visible from outside the vehicle.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:55 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IL requires one. Never had one, never been pulled over for it.

If you're scared of the ticket, you can do what 409 did with the suction cups. But putting it your windshield is not mounting it on your front bumper so you still can get a ticket.

Another thing you could do is just ziptie it to the lower grill.
Or try the suction cups on the back and suction cup it to your bumper.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:35 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by gconnoyer
IL requires one. Never had one, never been pulled over for it.

If you're scared of the ticket, you can do what 409 did with the suction cups. But putting it your windshield is not mounting it on your front bumper so you still can get a ticket.

Another thing you could do is just ziptie it to the lower grill.
Or try the suction cups on the back and suction cup it to your bumper.
I can say, I know the law says it must be mounted on the front bumper, however I actually had a police officer pull me over for no front plate and then place the plate on the dashboard after I told him I kept it behind my seat. I'm pretty sure he only used the plate as an excuse to pull me over since I was a kid at the time and probably was looking for alcohol or drugs.

Also, I wouldn't put it on the front bumper with suction cups as that could fall off very easily and then you really wouldn't have a front plate lol. Zipties are a good idea and they pass most fix-it tickets.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 409CISecondGen
I can say, I know the law says it must be mounted on the front bumper, however I actually had a police officer pull me over for no front plate and then place the plate on the dashboard after I told him I kept it behind my seat. I'm pretty sure he only used the plate as an excuse to pull me over since I was a kid at the time and probably was looking for alcohol or drugs.

Also, I wouldn't put it on the front bumper with suction cups as that could fall off very easily and then you really wouldn't have a front plate lol. Zipties are a good idea and they pass most fix-it tickets.
Using it as an excuse to pull you over is the problem... Who wants to be bothered with that.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Launching!

OP a good friend of mine lives in MD and hes told me multiple times that you are allowed to cut the front plate up enough to just show the numbers. I have also seen it a few times when i was in MD
Old 11-15-2012, 04:55 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Boy am I glad I live in Florida where it's not required at all. It's strange, I've actually seen people who voluntarily use two plates...I can only assume they had to pay additional money for two registered plates.

- Kevin
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 11-15-2012, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

zip tie it to the grill?
Old 11-15-2012, 09:01 PM
TECH Resident

Move to a better state.

Just keep it on the interior windshield.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:19 AM
Staging Lane

Just moved from oklahoma to texas myself...so far texas hates cars. From what i'm reading it's also not legal to simply put it in the windshield, it has to be affixed to the front of the car.

Here is the loophole right now, last year Texas congress accidentally approved a bill that deleted an important sentance relating to this issue. This offense was a class "C" misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of up to $200. However, a last minute change in the statute at the end of the most recent legislative session resulted in the punishment section of the statute being inadvertently stricken. So now you have a crime with no punishment and no jurisdiction either. So, if you don't mind getting continually pulled over, there is nothing they can do about it really until the new bill is approved in January.

Quick Reply: Can't stand my front license plate, anyone have pics of an alternate method?