Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Looking into 05 ls2 gto, what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 02:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Looking into 05 ls2 gto, what to look for?

Ok guys I'm about to pull the trigger in a goat next week. I'm going down to Jax from south ga to look at one I found. It has 85k miles and I feel it's decently priced. It's auto, needs nothing, has off road x pipe , muffler delete and that's it. Fairly clean, black leather, no tears according to the owner, no known issues other than a few buffable scratches. He's selling because he's going into boot camp on a few months and needs a more economical car which he's already found and is waiting on the goats sale to purchase.

My question is what am I looking for with these cars for known issues etc? I'm familiar with the 6.0l, unsure which auto these cars have tho. I here the front struts scrub an rears sag on the goats?
Anything else I should watch closely for before I drive a couple hundred miles blow cash and come home disappointed?

Ill post pics tonight
Old 03-21-2013, 05:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bet it needs something if it has 85k on it. Remember it's a used car and most people that drive a GTO want to see what it will do. I am sure it was rode hard and put away wet a few times.

Trans should be 4L65E.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:03 PM
TECH Resident

I understand that just wasn't sure what to "watch out for..."
Old 03-21-2013, 01:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Early LS2 Water pumps are POS. Make sure its not leaking.
Also most motor mounts are bad. Mine were bad at 40K. I didn't know until I put on headers and they would rub over bumps and right hand turns.

Other than that I have not had a major mechanical issue. There's also the usual BCM wire rub, seat motors break and cost a fortune, rear spring sag, and roll bar/strut top/radius rod bushing failure.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:33 PM
TECH Resident

ok thanks. Ive all the sudden found another WAY closer to me for cheaper but higher miles. Ima look at both is I can so I can weigh my options out. Im so ready to get into the gto tho. I miss that 6.0L power.

Btw what would you pay for a really clean 2005, auto, 85K miles appears to need nothing and looks awesome... completely stock except x pipe. no tune, nothing.

its right on the NADA and blue book but we all know that doesnt mean a thing when it comes to certain vehicles the market drives it whereever it weants.

Last edited by baSICK5.0; 03-21-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by baSICK5.0
ok thanks. Ive all the sudden found another WAY closer to me for cheaper but higher miles. Ima look at both is I can so I can weigh my options out. Im so ready to get into the gto tho. I miss that 6.0L power.

Btw what would you pay for a really clean 2005, auto, 85K miles appears to need nothing and looks awesome... completely stock except x pipe. no tune, nothing.

its right on the NADA and blue book but we all know that doesnt mean a thing when it comes to certain vehicles the market drives it whereever it weants.
I can't really say. I paid 18.5K for mine wholesale (Family has a dealers license in Texas) with 39K miles in the sumer of 2011. For an auto with 85K miles? Maybe 14.5K

It's sad how much they've depreciated.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:54 PM
TECH Resident

i know its hard to say because it does depend on so many factors. Location, condition, color, miles, etc etc etc....but that number puts a smile on my face for sure!!!

We made a deal for $12,800 with a full tank of premium HAHA

He was asking $14,000 but I had to haggle because im driving a couple hundred miles to get it on a weekday evening after work just to head back home and go back to work at 4 am. SOOO its no easy go for me but he needs it gone and I feel good about it. We'll see Wednsday. Im so ready to get it.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:59 PM
TECH Resident

And when it coems to the depreciation. Thats one big reason why i decided against buying something for more and newer. I really wanted to get a solid deal on somehting thats already lost the brunt of the "NEW TOY" value. I feel like im paying no more for the car than i would for any decent used car with like features around the same year but its a bonus that its a LS2 GTO that ima be uber thrilled driving everyday.

Im so glad I decided against my last decision which was to get a newer civic 4 dr and sip on fuel and do grownup things and give up on my passion for hotrods for a while.

Screw that, we have no kids yet, no reason why i should throw the towel in just yet. PLUS Im buying it with cash free and clear so when the kids come and its no longer my DD the fun stuff begins!!!
Old 03-22-2013, 05:00 PM
TECH Resident

annnnd your GTO is the cleanest most beautiful GTo ive ever seen. amazing
Old 03-22-2013, 07:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by baSICK5.0
annnnd your GTO is the cleanest most beautiful GTo ive ever seen. amazing
Well, thank you sir.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:03 AM
Teching In

i got my gto with 66,149 for 14.5 after trade in before it was 15.6 it came with a front and rear swaybars that are adjustable and came with a catback magnaflow also came with ud pulley .since then its camed jba lt new magnaflow mufflers bullet type ported tb new tcm new rad i dynoed 350 rwhp with just the catback and ud pulley on stock tune now im at 410 rwhp and 400 rwtq
Old 03-24-2013, 09:43 AM
TECH Resident

Nice. I'm ready for Wednesday for sure
Old 03-27-2013, 04:04 PM
TECH Resident

About to be driving my new to me ride home from Jax!!! I made a deal for $12,800 with a full tank of gas. Like new tires, all service records, etc. there's a few spots I'm not thrilled about but they are easy fixes and the worst part is it needs a good detail inside as the 19 yo owner wasn't much on actually detailing it. Ill post pictures later. So far I love the car. Lots of power from the stock Ls2...just begging for a good tune and long tubes
Old 03-28-2013, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

I bought my 05 a4 for 18k has 19'' ccw wheels, full bolt ons, heads, cam, pedders springs, flt lvl 5 tranny, circle d 3600 converter and best of all 24k original miles. Even at that mileage it had its defects. Like passenger door suede was peeling a little, front rotors were slightly warped, cd player didnt work ( did the aux input mod). The things i would look out for are headlights hazed beyond repair, seat stitching coming apart, leather hard and cracked from not taking care of, rear tail lights chrome peeling, passenger door handle clear coat peeling, headliner falling. Those are some of the most common GTO defects.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:42 PM
TECH Resident

Door suede on both are coming down but ima fix that asap. cleaned her up today about to post a " New Ride" thread with picture.

Quick Reply: Looking into 05 ls2 gto, what to look for?