Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

New car and new member

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New car and new member

Hello All,

I've purchased my first LS car, finally. I've wanted a GTO since they came out when I was 14, and finally saved the money to buy a 2006 m6 car. Now that I've gotten one, it's time to tinker with it. The car is bone stock, doesn't even have the skip shift eliminator. I've got roughly a grand to drop on the car immediately, and I'm wondering where is the best place to spend the money in everyone's opinions?

I plan to take it to the strip every now and then, but will be driving to car shows and events primarily.

Also, other than the fuel line and wiring harness rub, is their any common problems that I should be aware of? I've searched Google quite a bit, and was just wondering if there was anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks is advance for the replies,
Attached Thumbnails New car and new member-gto.jpg  
Old 07-16-2013, 11:26 PM
Teching In

cold air kit and tuner or you could find some used headers
Old 07-17-2013, 12:11 AM
Teching In

Congrats on the new goat! How many miles do you have on her? Lots of good info on the interwebs but you may want to consider replacing some worn out suspension parts which will ultimately make the car 1000 times better to drive. But if you would like to strictly add power get the headers, tune and cold air. Enjoy!
Old 07-17-2013, 07:20 AM
On The Tree

I would use my first 1000 to change all fluids (oil, tranny, diff, power steering) and filters, check /replace plugs/wires and inspect/replace pads/rotors and worn suspension parts. Check all bushings and mounts, that is where GTOs can suffer premature wear. Once you have a solid foundation, a set of LTs and a tune are great bangs for the buck.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:00 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SJFGTO
I would use my first 1000 to change all fluids (oil, tranny, diff, power steering) and filters, check /replace plugs/wires and inspect/replace pads/rotors and worn suspension parts. Check all bushings and mounts, that is where GTOs can suffer premature wear. Once you have a solid foundation, a set of LTs and a tune are great bangs for the buck.
Exactly wht he said.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:30 PM

Excellent advise guys.

I've already replaced all the fluids, plugs, and wires. Although, worn out suspension components is something that I hadn't thought of.

Just curious, which bushings are more probable for needing replacing? Not sure if anyone has experience with multiple cars? The back end does seem to sag somewhat like most of these cars that I've seen. Is that a common root cause?

Thanks,
Old 07-17-2013, 09:42 PM
Banned

Just replace them all eventually they will be worn out and since your gonna buy some to replace them just replace them all. also once your suspension is finished and you got the cold air intake and LT's (1 7/8 that is) get a better rear end Manuals from what i heard (on this site) are a lot more abusive on the rear end so get a good one then build the transmission then the motor just my 0.02
Old 07-17-2013, 11:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it was me I would start with some coilovers
Old 07-19-2013, 02:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Slo4
If it was me I would start with some coilovers
This.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

if youre going to race it occasionally along with aggressive driving get ready to have your half shafts replaced.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:58 AM

Good deal,

So are there any quarter time gains for the coil overs, or is this just an adjustability thing?

Quick Reply: New car and new member