Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

GTO Road Racers & Autocross out there?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 01:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTO Road Racers & Autocross out there?

Anyone out there road race or autocross 2004-2006 GTO's on here? I am in the market for one and curious about weight reduction and if these things are any good on the road course. Seems like braking and understeer are the only problems ive heard of so far.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

I do and I also have a perfect chassis to convert into a track car. PM me if interested
Old 11-10-2013, 11:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My sons GTO is track ready: full pedders track II kit with coilovers, brake pad/rotor/SS line upgrade is all it took and it handles amazing on a track. bit too stiff on the road IMO, but damn it handles great. Full weight, too.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:47 PM

Default Feedback from a Porsche/Miata track racer

My buddy races at Watkins Glen regularly and he sees GTO's up there full weight and cash spent on suspension/brakes/exhaust and says they are more than competitive with no oddities regarding performance/handling. Of course a bad driver can foul up with a GTR and I remember seeing a stock VW bunny beat track set up 911's in parking lot cone racing back in the day. Hope you have fun.............and my buddy says the guys with the most expensive cars are the most dangerous due to no driving experience. Keep your head on a swivel.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by J-Rod_Almighty
I do and I also have a perfect chassis to convert into a track car. PM me if interested
pm sent

Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones
My sons GTO is track ready: full pedders track II kit with coilovers, brake pad/rotor/SS line upgrade is all it took and it handles amazing on a track. bit too stiff on the road IMO, but damn it handles great. Full weight, too.
Im used to a rough ride, be nice to have a car I can take to the track and drive to work without having to worry about it

Originally Posted by GTObrake
My buddy races at Watkins Glen regularly and he sees GTO's up there full weight and cash spent on suspension/brakes/exhaust and says they are more than competitive with no oddities regarding performance/handling. Of course a bad driver can foul up with a GTR and I remember seeing a stock VW bunny beat track set up 911's in parking lot cone racing back in the day. Hope you have fun.............and my buddy says the guys with the most expensive cars are the most dangerous due to no driving experience. Keep your head on a swivel.
Haha this brings back good track memories, you are 100% correct it is all about the driver.
Ive tracked some decently fast cars and somewhat kept my cool, a mild LS2 IRS GTO seems to be calling for me.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:52 AM
Launching!

Cool

I asked this same quesiton on LS1gto about road racing the GTO. Here is the thread I think you will find a good read: http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...8&goto=newpost
Old 11-21-2013, 08:32 PM
12 Second Club

You can absolutely track a GTO. Will it be the most competitive vehicle on the track? No.
Will you learn a lot and have the most fun possible with your clothes on? Absolutely.

I took my bone stock 140k mile '04 to Sebring and had an absolute blast. I am already planning on my next HPDE in early 2014.

As recommended, just get some quality track pads/fluid and spend the rest of your money on seat time.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Blackbob
I asked this same quesiton on LS1gto about road racing the GTO. Here is the thread I think you will find a good read: http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...8&goto=newpost
That was a good read, thanks

Originally Posted by WhyHelloOfficer
You can absolutely track a GTO. Will it be the most competitive vehicle on the track? No.
Will you learn a lot and have the most fun possible with your clothes on? Absolutely.

I took my bone stock 140k mile '04 to Sebring and had an absolute blast. I am already planning on my next HPDE in early 2014.

As recommended, just get some quality track pads/fluid and spend the rest of your money on seat time.
Agreed, thanks for the help guys

Quick Reply: GTO Road Racers & Autocross out there?