Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Rear LSD distribution?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 08:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear LSD distribution?

Does anyone know the power distibution when the LSD has one wheel slipping? I've heard the GTO LSD's are a little fragile...correct or no?

Anyone have experience with aftermarket LSD's for these things?

Cheers.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine is more slipping than limited. Kind of pisses me off. Doing spirited driving through a corner, and the inside wheel spins like crazy. Has no problem spinning both tires when straight. But turn the wheel, and a one legger is all I get.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:05 PM
Teching In

Bummer...can't be happy about that...I'm building the car to go around corners, so I'll have to look for an alternative that will help hook up out of the twisties...

Cheers
Old 06-28-2006, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have another diff from another car. Want to put 3.91's, Kaaz diff, and BMR axles, stubs, and 3.5 driveshaft. I don't think it will have a problem then. Forgot an important thing. Also getting a Harrop cover, and sub frame bushings. Have to save some $$$ for quite a while to do this though. My car should be out of warrentee by then.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by oct03gto
Mine is more slipping than limited. Kind of pisses me off. Doing spirited driving through a corner, and the inside wheel spins like crazy. Has no problem spinning both tires when straight. But turn the wheel, and a one legger is all I get.
Suffered from same thing, thought I was going to have to replace LSD. Before doing that I decided to experiment with fluids and friction modifiers. Turned out to be the problem. The cocktail that actually put the rear LSD back in order was .....

Torco RGO 85-140 (non - synthetic)
Torco Type F (as in Ford) Friction modifier - 2oz

You can order directly from Torco Oil in Torrance, CA
http://www.torcoracingoils.com/

The rear end that had not hooked for 1.5years now hooks properly and two wheel burnouts are now normal. I do however have a KAAZ unit sitting on my bench that will go in next week. Try it, others have and you will find out if your LSD is actually shot or just need the right fluid.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GTOLarry
Suffered from same thing, thought I was going to have to replace LSD. Before doing that I decided to experiment with fluids and friction modifiers. Turned out to be the problem. The cocktail that actually put the rear LSD back in order was .....

Torco RGO 85-140 (non - synthetic)
Torco Type F (as in Ford) Friction modifier - 2oz

You can order directly from Torco Oil in Torrance, CA
http://www.torcoracingoils.com/

The rear end that had not hooked for 1.5years now hooks properly and two wheel burnouts are now normal. I do however have a KAAZ unit sitting on my bench that will go in next week. Try it, others have and you will find out if your LSD is actually shot or just need the right fluid.
hit the nail on the head. There are other lube solutions also, hit sarge up on this board (I think that's his name on this one, I get the boards confused) and he can give you a few more fluids that work to solve the problem.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks like I will be trying that. Hit a nasty third gear today. The car felt funny. Went back to look at the mark. Nothing but the passenger side. Felt like the car was going to spin right around.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:01 PM
11 Second Club

Might want to check these guys out. Several Florida goat owners have installed there LSD unit and swear by it.

http://www.difftechnics.com.au/gto.html
Old 07-03-2006, 07:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I talk with some of them on the LS1GTO sight. It does look like I will be taking that route.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:12 PM
Teching In

JoeyD,

thanks for the info. They seem to have just about everything one would need to make the IRS bulletproof...they are a bit pricey though...oh well...what's a few more bucks at this point...
Old 07-04-2006, 12:42 AM
Teching In

heres one solution to one wheel burn-outs..

http://ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89375
Old 07-04-2006, 08:34 PM
Teching In

I'm not that big of a fan of spending $800 on "massaged" stock parts...If I'm going to drop that kind of quid I want something that has been designed/built with performance in mind from the get go...

Thanks for the heads up though.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

I am one of Joes buds with the Kaaz LSD. Love it. I did 3.91s at same time. Just about 10k miles on the built diff and rockin' right along.
Bonus: Kaaz is a 2 way. That means decel torques wont slide one wheel. This is handy on a high speed misshift, as she won't spin on ya due to one wheel skid.
Reversing in loose sand was easy too when I got her a little sunk at the beach....came right out as the diff locks instantly with torque whether forward or back.
Plan to change the oil in the diff every 5k. Part of the deal for keeping the Kaaz happy.
I organized a GP for Difftechnics parts and can say that they are outstanding at Cust. service and shipping to US.
My Diff got here from Sydney faster than my swaybars came from TByrnes shop via UPS!!
Old 07-11-2006, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Kaaz it is!

Quick Reply: Rear LSD distribution?