Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Selling my camaro, interested in gto, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 08:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling my camaro, interested in gto, please help!

Hey guys I'll try to make it to the point......

I have a 98 Camaro SS, great car, couple bolt on's, fast as sh*t for a DD. I've decided to sell it for the following reasons: sh*t ground clearance-the nose hits everywhere, harsh ride-you really feel every damn bump, small trunk, uncomfortable for me but mostly my passengers.

I guess the question is what is it like DD'ing the gto? I want an 04 to keep cost down and gas miledge somewhat decent. Is the trunk any better? Is the ride a little softer and quieter? Do you guys bottom out as much as us f-body guys do? If the gto can't beat my camaro in these catagories, I'll be buying a 06-07 monte carlo SS. Not as fast or sporty i know, but roomy and practical.

I would greatly appreciate some advice/help!
Old 03-17-2008, 08:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle D98
Hey guys I'll try to make it to the point......

I have a 98 Camaro SS, great car, couple bolt on's, fast as sh*t for a DD. I've decided to sell it for the following reasons: sh*t ground clearance-the nose hits everywhere, harsh ride-you really feel every damn bump, small trunk, uncomfortable for me but mostly my passengers.

I guess the question is what is it like DD'ing the gto? I want an 04 to keep cost down and gas miledge somewhat decent. Is the trunk any better? Is the ride a little softer and quieter? Do you guys bottom out as much as us f-body guys do? If the gto can't beat my camaro in these catagories, I'll be buying a 06-07 monte carlo SS. Not as fast or sporty i know, but roomy and practical.

I would greatly appreciate some advice/help!
Your Camaro rides shitty/harsh because of the crappy shocks you have. If you were to replace those with some high quality shocks (i.e. Konis) your car would ride more like a BMW...
The GTO's ride will most definitly be less harsh and quieter, they have much better suspension from the factory plus better build quality.
You'll regret getting a FailWheelDrive Monte carlo...
Old 03-17-2008, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

Well the GTO will cure most of your DD complaints. The ground clearnance is not great and the trunk is REALLY small but the ride is great and the car is super comfortable for me and my passengers.

Good luck.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

Trunk is tiny but is at least shaped like a rectangle so you can fit most things in it (withing reason). Ride is good and mpg are great for a car with this power.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:24 PM
Teching In

Thanks, thats been very helpful so far. I forgot to ask how is the car to drive in the rain? My Camaro was a handful with the 275's, i know the gto's have narrower tires stock and wanted to know if they help the car track better in the rain. Also how much worse is the gas miledge with an LS2 compared to the LS1? Thanks again.

Also clearly understand now that the 4 wheel independent suspension would explain the softer ride over my solid axel....thank you.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:27 AM

Default gas mileage

well my gto gets pretty good gas mileae when i fill it for about 10 miles.. i usually start aroun 21mpg (no bullshit) but daily driving with my intake and exhaust im at 16/17mpg and thats driving around town highways usually 19/20
Old 03-18-2008, 12:29 AM

but if u wanna sell ur ss i would be interested in making somewhat of a deal with it.. got an 04 ls1 gto barbados blue.. if ur interested PM me
Old 03-18-2008, 05:59 AM
12 Second Club

Bolts ons means fast as ****? I DD my car even through the winter and I have no problems at all. If you think driving in the rain is a handful maybe you should get a honda.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:09 AM
Teching In

I went from a 1998 Z28 to a 2004 GTO. The goat is definately more sedate and comfortable as a daily driver. All my passengers like it better, but the Camaro always felt fine to me. Gas mileage in my A4 has been as good as 23mpg on the highway, with a 19-21 average. I've never bottomed out or hit a steep driveway in the GTO. As far as space it's probably about the same although on the GTO you're actually able to get into the trunk easier without having to reach over like on the F-body. Of course the GTO's back seat won't fold down, so you can't pass larger items through.

As someone else mentioned your SS probably rides badly becasue of the crappy factory Decarbons. I switched mine out to Bilstein HDs at 79,000 miles and it felt like a completley different car. You might consider that if you end of keeping the SS. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:08 AM
Teching In

I think a GTO would be PERFECT!

I had my '99 SS 6-Spd for about 2 years, loved every minute of it but like you stated... build quality, noises, ground clearance... could all be a bit better.

One of my friends picked up an '06 6-Spd GTO with the LS2 right before I sold my SS... I loved every second of it. The first words out of my mouth when we got out from a test drive was "It's like the luxury version of my camaro". So I don't see you having any problem with the GTO. Haven't really kept up on the new Monte's but I do know they are powering the wrong wheels... stay RWD.

My time was limited with the GTO but you do have to do a bit of twisting to get into the back seats, but once your there its comfortable. Interior was quiet and everything felt durable and good.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:46 PM
Staging Lane

I would say a GTO is a great DD. The only reason I hate DDing mine is the mileage I put on it, but I will never go back to a 4-banger crapmobile as a DD. If I have to spend a good chunk of time in a car, the goat is where it's at.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:38 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For a daily driver, the GTO is great. For a sports car, I miss my SS.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:41 PM
Teching In

Awsome guys i appreciate the help, you've pretty much answered my questions.

As for AshyLary: A-just because your car isnt a 12 second car doesnt mean its not fast around town. B-I'd rather choke and die than drive a honda and that was a stupid, smart *** comment.

Thanks everyone for the help, any other input/advice would be great too. Thanks you!
Old 03-18-2008, 06:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Kyle D98
Awsome guys i appreciate the help, you've pretty much answered my questions.

As for AshyLary: A-just because your car isnt a 12 second car doesnt mean its not fast around town. B-I'd rather choke and die than drive a honda and that was a stupid, smart *** comment.

Thanks everyone for the help, any other input/advice would be great too. Thanks you!
Yea I know 12's arnt ****. Let me know when you get that honda
Old 03-26-2008, 11:28 AM
Teching In

I have an 04 GTO daily driver and I love it. It's the best car I have ever owned!
Old 03-26-2008, 11:40 AM
Staging Lane

I had a 01 Z28 and i would never go back to it. the GTO is a great DD she doesnt bottom out and is better in the rain not great but better. The trunk space is terrible and the wheel hop takes some getting used to. btu it is a great car and i love it death GTO dumdumdum
Old 03-26-2008, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

get a 06 gto in be done with it.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by blkbltgoat
I had a 01 Z28 and i would never go back to it. the GTO is a great DD she doesnt bottom out and is better in the rain not great but better. The trunk space is terrible and the wheel hop takes some getting used to. btu it is a great car and i love it death GTO dumdumdum
my car drives perfect in the rain. same as a mini van, just drive it normal. I have had plenty of room in the trunk so far, enough stuff for camping, weekend auto x events, exhaust parts, many more things.

The wheel hop can be taken care of by a diff insert and some better tires.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AshyLarry
my car drives perfect in the rain. same as a mini van, just drive it normal. I have had plenty of room in the trunk so far, enough stuff for camping, weekend auto x events, exhaust parts, many more things.

The wheel hop can be taken care of by a diff insert and some better tires.
well normal for me is tromping on the gas every few miles. also a great way to deal with the wheel hop is a driver mod. But i have owned my GTO for 3 months and i get compliments all the time. i think we can agree to disagree on the negatives but its a great car
Old 03-26-2008, 03:45 PM
10 Second Club

You can never have too much hp in a GTO to make it not a DD in my opinion. I don't have the fastest GTO by far but even with my mods it is a treat to drive everywhere. My Tuner has an APT TT pushing close to 900 with 1k tq and it is smooth as silk when not under boost.

Quick Reply: Selling my camaro, interested in gto, please help!