Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

'04 GTO wheel/tire fitment

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '04 GTO wheel/tire fitment

Guys, forgive me for not even attempting a search. I am trying to get some info for my buddy. He bought some Ruff racing wheels and the offset is dead nuts right for the car, but the fender still knicks the tire after the body shop did a shave on the lip. I dont know much about these cars, but it sounds like a pain in the ***. The tire size is 275/40?/18, with a nitto (non drag). Are you rolling the fenders and getting any extra flare at the base, or what the hell do you do to get comforable clearance on the fender? I think the body shop doesnt have a good fix, he asked them to roll the fender and they cut the lip with an air saw. It looks fine, but not the method I was expecting. Shed some light on GTO tire fitment for me please. Unless there is a way to get this to work with very little massaging, I am going to mini tub the bitch.

Brandon
Old 04-04-2008, 03:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No mini tubs because of IRS. Maybe the offset isn't enough on those rims.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

Said that he talked with ruff and they are very familiar with the tight fit on gtos. When the suspension is loaded, there is roughly 1/2-3/4" clear on the inside of the wheel to inner fender. Can you not move the sheetmetal even an 2" or so without issues with the IRS? Not that its something I want to have to do. But will if we can gain any real room to put a 285/295 in there.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Regular

Go to LS1GTO.com and do a search for "widest or biggest rim for the rear".
There have been guys doing the hammer mod to the inner fender. Check the drag racing section.
Buzz
Old 04-04-2008, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks. I think we are going to cut and move the inner fender inward. Looks like the only thing you really have to move is the upper shock mount. And notch the control arm. Time consuming process as a whole, but not very hard.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:58 AM
TECH Regular

Ley me know the outcome, I am interested in wider rear wheels and tires too.
Buzz
Old 04-06-2008, 11:57 PM
Launching!

Believe me I've gone through quite the gamit when it comes to wheels and tires for the goat. Right now i'm running 19x9.5's w/a 40mm offset w/275's in the rear w/no issues and 19x8.5's w/a 35mm offset in the front. Now w/that crazy offset I thought there would be some definite rubbing. What I got was a perfect fit, I'm only running about 5lbs. in the drag bags and have never once rubbed. If at all possible see if he could shave off 5-7mm off the back, if not get a set of dragbags for 90 bucks from speedinc... Keep us posted.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

295's? No, maybe with some tires that run more narrow than most others.

18" wheels with 48mm offset, same as your buds. I'm running 285/35/18's Goodyear GS-D3's which run wider than most tires. I've ground off my fender lips, had the cradles aligned, running Pedders 5/16" raise drag springs, x-member bushings, beat the inner fenderwells in some, etc. They still rub a little, they are just too tall it seems. They don't rub on the the sidewalls of the tires but on the tread, must be bottoming out when the car squats hard. My bud and me may try to mini tub his 04 since his other 04 is already done, if it works I'll do mine.

The only way I've seen people fit a 295 on without a lot of work is some Pedders 1" raise springs or like 35lbs in some BMR drag bags. I've seen a few poeple pay to have a body shop pull the fender out about an inch, or have some type of wide body kit put on, but that's some $$$ right there. Other than that a 295 on a proper sized wheel (9.5"-10" wide) will not fit on these cars without some work. Though it can be done... 52mm offset wheel, cut the fender lips compleatly off, Pedders 5/16" drag springs, notch control arms, beat the living F out of the inner fenderwell, relocate the shocks and prey to whoever you pray to.

FYI

Last edited by PapaSmurf2005; 04-07-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:02 PM
Teching In

check your shocks, make sure they are not old and weak. mine gave out at 50,000 miles 04 goat. also i am thinking of replacing my factory weak springs for pedders suspension o.e springs.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:10 PM
TECH Addict

I never said 295, I said 285. But I am going to go ahead and make 315s fit. Yes it can be done. Probably be a month or two, but it will work.

Originally Posted by PapaSmurf2005
295's? No, maybe with some tires that run more narrow than most others.

18" wheels with 48mm offset, same as your buds. I'm running 285/35/18's Goodyear GS-D3's which run wider than most tires. I've ground off my fender lips, had the cradles aligned, running Pedders 5/16" raise drag springs, x-member bushings, beat the inner fenderwells in some, etc. They still rub a little, they are just too tall it seems. They don't rub on the the sidewalls of the tires but on the tread, must be bottoming out when the car squats hard. My bud and me may try to mini tub his 04 since his other 04 is already done, if it works I'll do mine.

The only way I've seen people fit a 295 on without a lot of work is some Pedders 1" raise springs or like 35lbs in some BMR drag bags. I've seen a few poeple pay to have a body shop pull the fender out about an inch, or have some type of wide body kit put on, but that's some $$$ right there. Other than that a 295 on a proper sized wheel (9.5"-10" wide) will not fit on these cars without some work. Though it can be done... 52mm offset wheel, cut the fender lips compleatly off, Pedders 5/16" drag springs, notch control arms, beat the living F out of the inner fenderwell, relocate the shocks and prey to whoever you pray to.

FYI
Old 04-07-2008, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
Said that he talked with ruff and they are very familiar with the tight fit on gtos. When the suspension is loaded, there is roughly 1/2-3/4" clear on the inside of the wheel to inner fender. Can you not move the sheetmetal even an 2" or so without issues with the IRS? Not that its something I want to have to do. But will if we can gain any real room to put a 285/295 in there.
Hmmmmmmmmm....

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
I never said 295, I said 285. But I am going to go ahead and make 315s fit. Yes it can be done. Probably be a month or two, but it will work.
Tubs and sold rear end, or mini tubs and wide body kit?
Old 04-07-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by PapaSmurf2005
Hmmmmmmmmm....

Tubs and sold rear end, or mini tubs and wide body kit?
Not really mini tubs, just cutting the inner fender loose, removing about a 2" strip and grafting it back after moving it the 2" gap. Widening the wheels 1" on the inside of the wheel and leaving the backspace basically the same. Might shave 3mm or so off of it. No widebody.

Quick Reply: '04 GTO wheel/tire fitment