Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Mods to come

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mods to come

So i placed an order today. Optima Red Top Battery, NGK spark plugs, Granatelli coil on plugs.. and Jegs power kit including- K&N cold air intake, MSD ignitions coils, Superchips flash Paq, SLP underdrive pulley, and SLP 160 degree thermo. thats probably all i'll do as far as engine work. Next pay check i'll probably start on suspension what i'm thinking now is a set of KYBs Eibach coils.. but i'm not sure on a few things, i'm looking to add some tower struts, sway bars, and subframe connectors to stiffen the body up. Who should i be looking at for those? Also i'm looking for wheels i gotta get these ugly red chrome wheels off help lol.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:39 AM
On The Tree

u could've saved your money on the msd coils couse the factorys are very good.kyb don't make anything for are car yet.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:06 PM

what KYB doesn't have anything for a GTO!!! they have something for every car.. jesus ur right i just checked.. uh hmm that puts a damper on things.. or it doesn't lol car humor.. hmm might go with koni's then.. damn i'm dissapointed
Old 09-10-2008, 03:45 PM
On The Tree

the sponsers on ls1gto forums have all you need to buy.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Eibach springs are junk, get King springs and Koni Shocks/struts.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:01 AM

i don't know about that... i've had nothing but great things to say about eibach.. compared to others i've used theirs were top notch
Old 09-11-2008, 10:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GT06
So i placed an order today. Optima Red Top Battery, NGK spark plugs, Granatelli coil on plugs.. and Jegs power kit including- K&N cold air intake, MSD ignitions coils, Superchips flash Paq, SLP underdrive pulley, and SLP 160 degree thermo.
Just my opinion, but I think all that is kind of a waste of money, except for the Superchips and maybe the pulley.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

the sway-bars are a good buy,and king springs are alot better for are car then eibach are
Old 09-11-2008, 01:45 PM
11 Second Club

Honestly:

K&N drop-in filter
160 thermo
SLP U/D pulley

Is all I see on the list worth getting for the motor. If you're going to get it tuned, wait until you add headers and either buy a Diablosport (tons of them on LSxGTO) or get it professionally tuned.

Suspension, well, there's lots of choices, to say the least.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by geeteego
Honestly:

K&N drop-in filter
160 thermo
SLP U/D pulley

Is all I see on the list worth getting for the motor. If you're going to get it tuned, wait until you add headers and either buy a Diablosport (tons of them on LSxGTO) or get it professionally tuned.

Suspension, well, there's lots of choices, to say the least.
160 thermo is worthless.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:57 PM

see i'm not trying to get anymore horsepower out of this engine.. this is the car i'm going to be driving every day until i get my other project running.. i want it to very mild mannered for normal driving.. the K&N air intake lets the engine breath a little better, 160 thermo keeps the engine cooler, optima b/c i have a bad habit about leaving lights on in the car and these batts last for every, NGK plugs for better ignition, granetellis well i'm upgradings coil packs so might have well, msd goes without saying, superchips just to bring the engine to it's full potential, pulley kinda goes without saying as well.. only other things for drivetrain i'm buying will be a lighter flywheel then the suspension work but thats a project for next month or after that
Old 09-11-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

i don't know about that... i've had nothing but great things to say about eibach.. compared to others i've used theirs were top notch
FOR THIS CAR the eibach springs are some of the shittiest ones you can buy. Eibachs rate in below the TEIN springs and those sucked bad.

King springs are what you want for a GTO. I have pedders, but I wish I had gone the right route and bought the king springs, or the lovells pieces....
Old 09-11-2008, 05:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

the K&N air intake lets the engine breath a little better, 160 thermo keeps the engine cooler, optima b/c i have a bad habit about leaving lights on in the car and these batts last for every, NGK plugs for better ignition, granetellis well i'm upgradings coil packs so might have well, msd goes without saying, superchips just to bring the engine to it's full potential, pulley kinda goes without saying as well.. only other things for drivetrain i'm buying will be a lighter flywheel then the suspension work but thats a project for next month or after that
The Optima is not longer lasting, it's lighter, the LSX engines don't need to run cooler than what they do, MSD coil packs gain nothing, K&N next to nothing, pulley maybe 10 horses, NGK's yeah but you may as well wait till you need plugs and I would get a Diablo before a Superchips.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 325trooper
The Optima is not longer lasting, it's lighter, the LSX engines don't need to run cooler than what they do, MSD coil packs gain nothing, K&N next to nothing, pulley maybe 10 horses, NGK's yeah but you may as well wait till you need plugs and I would get a Diablo before a Superchips.
There you have it. The absolute authority on LSX motors has spoken.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by 325trooper
well optima is a much deeper cycle battery than say a champion, as in i can let it go completely dead about 10 times before i have to ditch it and get a new one in which case i can swap it for free at oreillys. uh while LSX engines probably don't need to run cooler i'm gonna go ahead and have mine run a little frigid, the K&N air intake it's not a drop in filter, but it will free up airflow and maybe introduce a little colder air. pulley yeah maybe 10 horses i'm not looking for more power just to free up whats already available.. and with the diablo i was curious about that i talked to a both people from jegs and summit and they all reccomended the superchips they said diablo would yield the highest horsepower gain but sometimes loseing integrity of engine... so i guess the thing i'm trying to get across is i'm not trying to make more horsepower i'm just trying to free up whats readily available i'm by far not new to a LS engine my dad a 97 vette the day it hit the floor at the dealership in enterprise AL we tooled on that till he bought a 50th anni in 03
Old 09-11-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I would not waste your money on the coil packs, any Granatelli (GMS) product for the GTO, the superchips, or

Optima Red Top Battery, ok, stock one could leak, and these don't. Your call (I am on my third red top in 3 years on my 1998 ws6)
NGK spark plugs, if your due for a plug change, then change them (30K or so imho)

Granatelli coil on plugs.. don't waste your money.

and Jegs power kit including- K&N cold air intake, MSD ignitions coils, Superchips flash Paq, SLP underdrive pulley, and SLP 160 degree thermo.

Don't waste your money, buy a pulley, and thermo if you want from slp directly.

I would put your money towards the wheels/suspension first.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:32 PM

i'm not gonna worry about defending myself anymore. I made the purchase with my money, for what I wanted. In truth i'll probably not notice much of a difference if any but i know everything in my car is going to be running top notch.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:01 AM
On The Tree

spend it how u want,its just the forum is for getting info & help on what works and what isn't worth spending it on.**** i spent around $5400 on rims & tires,when people said i could've got some for less
Old 09-12-2008, 03:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

i'm not gonna worry about defending myself anymore.
You don't need to get defensive, it's just that some of us have been modding LSX engines since they first came out, know what works and what doesn't and are trying in vain to help you. I apologize, I won't do it again with you.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You dont have to defend yourself, but I would keep the stock coils and the stock plug wires, just in case you have issues with the other parts. There is a reason people run stock coils with 800+ hp, and it is not because they are "cheap"

Ryan

Quick Reply: Mods to come