Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

L76 road race build

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 11:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L76 road race build

Hey guys, starting my build on my l76 out of an 08 pontiac gt. Going to be starting nasa hpde next year with an 82-92 camaro, and trying to get the engine ready to go. This will be my first time getting one ready for performance.

Here is my parts list so far, hopefully I'm going in the right direction.
Comp 13702-KIT Trunion Upgrade
Clevite CB663P Rod Bearings
Clevite MS2199P Main Bearings
Durabond CHP25 Cam Bearings
GMPP 19244035 Single Plane Intake manifold FelPro 1161R041 & 1161L041 Head Gaskets Melling 10296 Oil Pump
GMPP 17800568 Head Bolts
MSD 6012 Ignition Module
Total Seal CR1009-35 Piston Rings
Holley 750 nothing special, running this for now cause I got it at a good deal.

Can't decide between DSS 2930BX-030 or DSS 1830BSX-030

Reusing the stock rods and crank

Not sure about cam and springs yet because that is over my head

All help will be greatly apprecieated, as I am learning as I go along

Thanks,
Lelan
Old 12-20-2013, 06:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have been road racing LS1/6 for years in SCCA GTA/SPO with both carbureted and EFI motors.

The GMPP ASA cam or something very similar will work well in a mild road race motor. Easy on the valve train yet makes good torque and power from 3500-6500. I had Crane make me a 550/550 236/246 106 lsa cam for a carb 5.7 LS1 that I believe outperformed the ASA by 20 plus HP and 20 torque. This rather mild build made 487 HP and 450 torque with 243 heads on a stock type short block. (Engine dyno) This motor made a bit more torque with the Holley 80541 racing 650 cfm than it did with a good 750. peak HP was the same. We also used an Edelbrock Performer rpm LS1 intake and tested it against the Victor Jr. It made more torque over a broader range yet the HP at 6500 was about the same. The Victor Jr is similar to the GMPP manifold. For wilder LS motors I would go with the Victor Jr or GMPP. All are good manifolds though.

Make sure you use ARP or Katech rod bolts

We usually use ISKY 165 A valve springs for this type build.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by garcr4
How frequently do those need to be changed?
Old 12-20-2013, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fruitsalad
How frequently do those need to be changed?

We typically race these motors for a couple years then rebuild them. We don't change the valve springs in between. Have never broke one of the ISKY springs.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:50 PM
TECH Regular

We typically race these motors for a couple years then rebuild them. We don't change the valve springs in between. Have never broke one of the ISKY springs.
Awesome. Might need to pick up a set.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:17 PM
Teching In

We have been road racing LS1/6 for years in SCCA GTA/SPO with both carbureted and EFI motors.

The GMPP ASA cam or something very similar will work well in a mild road race motor. Easy on the valve train yet makes good torque and power from 3500-6500. I had Crane make me a 550/550 236/246 106 lsa cam for a carb 5.7 LS1 that I believe outperformed the ASA by 20 plus HP and 20 torque. This rather mild build made 487 HP and 450 torque with 243 heads on a stock type short block. (Engine dyno) This motor made a bit more torque with the Holley 80541 racing 650 cfm than it did with a good 750. peak HP was the same. We also used an Edelbrock Performer rpm LS1 intake and tested it against the Victor Jr. It made more torque over a broader range yet the HP at 6500 was about the same. The Victor Jr is similar to the GMPP manifold. For wilder LS motors I would go with the Victor Jr or GMPP. All are good manifolds though.

Make sure you use ARP or Katech rod bolts

Thank you for the insight, those springs look really good. I will definitely keep them in mind.

What is everyone's take on dss pistons?
And if the dss are good will those pistons work with a high lift cam and ls3 heads?
Old 12-20-2013, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

That question might have better luck being answered in the internals section. I'm curious on the responses as well. I like your build so far, budget LS3... Nice

One suggestion I have is to use ARP hardware to build your motor. Think about it, you will be racing this motor. Very rarely will it see ideal conditions and bad things are bound to happen. Instead of buying a head bolt kit or even main bolt kit every time you do tear down or rebuild buy the good stuff once and be done with it. I've only been RR for a year which prior to I had a total overhaul then had to yank it out again due to poor piston rings. (Was having tons of blowby)
Old 12-20-2013, 07:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fixinitup
That question might have better luck being answered in the internals section. I'm curious on the responses as well. I like your build so far, budget LS3... Nice

One suggestion I have is to use ARP hardware to build your motor. Think about it, you will be racing this motor. Very rarely will it see ideal conditions and bad things are bound to happen. Instead of buying a head bolt kit or even main bolt kit every time you do tear down or rebuild buy the good stuff once and be done with it. I've only been RR for a year which prior to I had a total overhaul then had to yank it out again due to poor piston rings. (Was having tons of blowby)
That's what I thought too, but I have zero replies in the get 4 internal section and posted the same thing. I have been debating on doing all arp fasteners, probably will go that route, depending on the finances.

I would really like to know about the dss pistons...
Old 12-20-2013, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

On the motor I spoke about above, we used an AVIAID three stage dry sump type system.
We have used the single stage scavenge ASA systems in the past and they have been OK, but feel they are marginal and will no longer use them.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

On the motor I spoke about above, we used an AVIAID three stage dry sump type system.
We have used the single stage scavenge ASA systems in the past and they have been OK, but feel they are marginal and will no longer use them.
How much do those dry sump systems cost? What do you think of an accusump for those of us on a budget.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fixinitup

How much do those dry sump systems cost? What do you think of an accusump for those of us on a budget.
That's what I'm planning on doing along with baffling for the 9qt Pontiac gt pan lol

Looked around for pistons and I'm going to go with autotec 1000592's.

Anyone know what cam I should go with for the l92 heads with a carb? There is a lot of info out there for it, but most of it is for going in a straight line.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Lelan
Anyone know what cam I should go with for the l92 heads with a carb? There is a lot of info out there for it, but most of it is for going in a straight line.
Dont know if its obvious but stay away from high lift cams... Do some research on L92 flow numbers and you'll have an general idea where you want to be. Find something with a flat torque curve that makes peak HP without revving it up to the heavens or have a sponser grind you a custom for your application.

Sorry I can't be of more help, hopefully somebody else with more on hand knowledge can chime in.

Quick Reply: L76 road race build