Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Clutch for Auto-X

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch for Auto-X

I need to get a new clutch for the Trans Am soon and plan on running in SCCA Solo this up coming season with it. Would something like a SPEC stag 1 or the equivalent be good enough for an exhaust/intake car with suspension work, or should I get something a little more beefy for it. TIA
Old 03-10-2014, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For virtually the same feel and better power holding ability, I'd go with the Spec 2+. Mine's taken a lot of road racing use, and keep performing very well.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

wouldent it be based more on power levels? i ran a spec stage 1 and loved it. alittle heavier than stock but not to hard on the leg in traffic. although you might want to consider a lighter flywheel while your there. depends what class you run whether or not your allowed. im in STU and i dont think were allowed lighter flywheels but I could be wrong. havent read that section because that car still has stock clutch and flywheel.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't drive the car all that often on the street so pedal stiffness isn't a huge issue with it. I need to look up what class I'll be in with my suspension setup, if I even put the shocks and springs on.

I guess I should add, I did find an LS7 complete kit for cheaper than anything else. How would that work in a short even like auto-x?

Last edited by lookin4aTA; 03-10-2014 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My clutch pedal is a bit hard, but it's not bad. I'm used to it. The light flywheel and pressure plate takes a little getting used to. There's a more narrow band in which you can shift off the line and not look like you're doing a holeshot or bogging out. Just make sure you're not near a cop when you're figuring that out, and all will be good
Old 03-11-2014, 02:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Lol yeah the monster stage 4 I have right now was that way until we realized it was fucked up. I guess it will be a get something and figure it out type of thing.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The LS7 kit is a cheap upgrade to the stock clutch however it's heavy.

Just a little personal experience -- I ended up going from an LS7 clutch to a McLeod RST dual friction mated with a lightweight flywheel. No issues with a stiff pedal or chatter and the shifts are quick and crisp. There was a very noticeable and positive difference in the way the car feels with the lightweight setup.

Only downside, is that it does provide a more narrow window for launching with a smooth engagement, however that's easily learned with a little practice.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Midnight02
The LS7 kit is a cheap upgrade to the stock clutch however it's heavy.

Just a little personal experience -- I ended up going from an LS7 clutch to a McLeod RST dual friction mated with a lightweight flywheel. No issues with a stiff pedal or chatter and the shifts are quick and crisp. There was a very noticeable and positive difference in the way the car feels with the lightweight setup.

Only downside, is that it does provide a more narrow window for launching with a smooth engagement, however that's easily learned with a little practice.
That is what I figured. I guess something like what was recommend above is my best route for lightweight and drivability. I would like to keep the cost down cause shipping to hawaii is over double what it is to anywhere eon the mainland, and that is kind of a big deal for looking at the LS7. Guess I will have to wait a bit and get something better then. NExt season doesn't start for four months anyways.

Quick Reply: Clutch for Auto-X