Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Helmet color and T-tops on the track?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 02:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet color and T-tops on the track?

So here is a simple one even quite laughable for the non-Type A out there. I have seen that most Trans Am guys are running with the T-tops off on the track. I am shopping for my first helmet. I am looking for something high quality and very lightweight due to the physics of neck injuries and something with a big eye port as I wear prescription glasses/sunglasses. Right now I am leaning towards the HJC-SI12R (~$675 and 3.2lbs) and it comes in white or rubber tone (matte) black. At least in my competitive cycling I like running a white helmet under the hot sun as I know that theoretically black is absorbing more heat than white. Does helmet color make any perceivable difference in how hot it gets under the helmet being on track all day in a t-tops removed car?
Old 05-08-2014, 02:55 PM

Are you looking for a full or open face and what are the helmet requirements for your track?
Old 05-08-2014, 03:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MOTO SCOOB RR
Are you looking for a full or open face and what are the helmet requirements for your track?
Only considering a full and going with a SA2010 w/ Hans. Staying away from the cheap ones as I see no point in spending thousands on the car and track time and putting on a budget helmet.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by orthopod
Only considering a full and going with a SA2010 w/ Hans. Staying away from the cheap ones as I see no point in spending thousands on the car and track time and putting on a budget helmet.
Okay just curious I have a few laying around that are full face, but to answer your general question, depends on the helmets ventilation.

I've ran matte black helmets to white to vibrant colors. The black ones do initially absorb more heat but depending on the ventilation of the helmet can and usually is more superficial (to the touch) rather than the top of your head getting hot due to the color.

I've never noticed a difference with temperatures. Usually the foam/Styrofoam mixture between the skins displaces it rapidly before it gets "soaked" into your cranium. Gloves and gear is a whole different story (if needed to wear)
Old 05-08-2014, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

there is absolutely nothing wrong with a 'budget helmet'. ive used a g-force open face for years, and been in one extremely heavy accident with it, and there was nothing 'budget' about its protection.

if youre really worried about spending thousands on a car, then is it fully caged? 12pt or more, certified?
Old 05-08-2014, 10:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
there is absolutely nothing wrong with a 'budget helmet'. ive used a g-force open face for years, and been in one extremely heavy accident with it, and there was nothing 'budget' about its protection.

if youre really worried about spending thousands on a car, then is it fully caged? 12pt or more, certified?
I was speaking more in relation to the weight of the helmet as I know that there are actually lower priced helmets that weigh less than higher priced ones. Another physician on corvette forum wrote an incredibly informative and pretty exhaustive primer on getting into HPDE. He argues that...

"It’s all about helmet weight. Buy the lightest helmet you can afford. The stock seat belt will hold up ok for most people until you get to the upper intermediate levels of HPDE, by the advanced group have a racing seat and harness please. Your $$ will be well spent on Safety gear, harness, seats, etc. Why? A super charger doesn’t keep you alive in a crash. I am a Dr. by day and treat auto accident cases often. When you have an impact the head whips forward and back = whiplash. This could also snap your neck & kill you (Dale Sr). Whiplash is a factor of speed & weight. Your heavy head moves forward and back, this causes the injury. So the heavier the helmet, the more force is applied on your neck in an accident. More likely you will have a severe neck injury! In fact, I would think many of us are safer without the helmets for this reason sadly. For the weight, ease of use and avilability for entry level racing the consensus is: HJC AR10 (http://soloracer.com/hjcar10.html) & the Bell M4 (http://www.saferacer.com/bell-m4-hel...?productid=369) or Bell M4 Pro (http://www.saferacer.com/bell-m4-pro...?productid=361). When you get nutty or are just rich :-) get a lightweight carbon fiber helmet and save your neck."

Then he goes on to talk about HANS. All I am trying to say is that I want a light helmet and you should want one too. I will spend the next 5 years of my life learning how to operate on the spine and spending a little more to get a lighter helmet is a good investment in my book but to each their own.

As for the cage I was ready to pay Alan Blaine to put in a SCCA/NASA certified cage last week until he told me that due to safety I would not be able to carry my 20 month old son in the back seat anymore. Right now our ride around town is one of his favorite parts of the day when I come home from the hospital so that will not be happening until he can sit in the front seat. That will be fine as I am just getting started in the sport and if I end up getting hooked like many on here fortunately after my residency I will have the means to invest as much as I want into safety but for now this car will be a great tool to build seat time through DE's and continue as my DD.

Last edited by orthopod; 05-08-2014 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've heard someone say "if you have a 10 dollar head, get a 10 dollar helmet."

I actually have a decent sa2010 helmet, in white, and I think it cost around 350 or so. I don't think color matters much with regard to heat absorbtion. You won't be wearing the thing for hours on end and you'll be doin high enough speeds where "wind chill" probably becomes a factor.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do not run with the tops out on course, AutoX I have.

I don't recommend you do either.

Buy a full face only, you spin the car and throw gravel and rocks in the car....you'll know why.

A good read on lids.

http://cartechstuff.blogspot.com/201...ur-helmet.html
Old 05-10-2014, 07:49 PM
Launching!

I will keep the T tops on then. Looks like a great read thank you for the link. I will read it this weekend. Right now I will likely pick up the HJC AR10 II in white and if I get hooked which I'm sure I will a HANS purchase will be in the near future. Do you need a harness for HANS to work? Reason I ask is I am having difficulty reconciling keeping my rear seat for my son to ride around town in (one of his favorite activities and he is too young to ride in the front seat) and finding a way to mount a harness so for now I am going stock seat belts but I don't know if HANS is compatible with that need to look it up.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by orthopod
I will keep the T tops on then. Looks like a great read thank you for the link. I will read it this weekend. Right now I will likely pick up the HJC AR10 II in white and if I get hooked which I'm sure I will a HANS purchase will be in the near future. Do you need a harness for HANS to work? Reason I ask is I am having difficulty reconciling keeping my rear seat for my son to ride around town in (one of his favorite activities and he is too young to ride in the front seat) and finding a way to mount a harness so for now I am going stock seat belts but I don't know if HANS is compatible with that need to look it up.
You will have to get a Hybrid type without a roll cage.

http://dragpartsusa.com/i-16585790-s...FWdo7AodqzQAUQ

Quick Reply: Helmet color and T-tops on the track?