Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

How does one obtain a sponsorship?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 07:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How does one obtain a sponsorship?

I'm just wondering because my funding is limited and i'm having a hard time keeping up with the guys at the SCCA autocross who have sponsorships for suspension and what not. so any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,
bill
Old 08-22-2005, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its not that easy. You could start by buying kneepads.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:26 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a thread in the drag racing forum with tips on this you may want to check out.

Derek
Old 11-19-2005, 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cold calls and big businesses are tough if you don't know someone on the inside. The best way is to approach a business owner or manager that you know. That person has to be interested in racing and help you sell it to the company president. Remember you have to show him what advertising on your car is going to do for HIM, not just for you. Winning races and championships means nothing if the company cannot see a benefit for their sales.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bartering works great ... parts/services for advertising ...

I have a local Texaco Express Lube as a sponsor. He fills up my tow rig, the race car and 4 fuel jugs before each event. He also sells me Amsoil at cost ... I tow the car up to his business once a month and leave it all day out in front to draw attention. He said he has customers go out and look at the car while their vehicle is being serviced. It's not uncommon for them to OK services they probably wouldn't have had done if they didn't have something to do while waiting.

I have a local mobil detailer as a sponsor. He cleans the race car and to rig before each event. I put flyers and brochures on the car and take it to a couple local car shows ...

I have a local Mom & Pop tire store that mounts and balances my race tires for me and does front end alignments. I take the car up there as well and leave it to draw attention. I also remove the wheels from the car and shuttle everything to the store and leave them. this allows them to do my job in their spare time.

I have a welding and supply business that keeps me in metal working supplies.

I have a graphics and printing company that composed and cut all my vinyl ... the sponsorship logos, car numbers, etc.

I have an auto repair business whose owner is an SCCA and NASA racer. I've used his scales and shop.

All that stuff is money saved or directed to other areas in the program ... be creative and make sure you offer the guy something for his money.

Don't expect to get cold, hard cash ....
Old 11-21-2005, 11:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Bartering works great ... parts/services for advertising ...

All that stuff is money saved or directed to other areas in the program ... be creative and make sure you offer the guy something for his money.

Don't expect to get cold, hard cash ....
Old 11-22-2005, 06:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchntx
I have a local Texaco Express Lube as a sponsor. ... I tow the car up to his business once a month and leave it all day out in front to draw attention.
and this kind of things breeds itself ...

While unloading the car at the Express Lube a few weeks ago, a guy getting his car serviced there walks up and we begin talking.

Turns out he owns a Fastenal franchise and has plans to open 2 or 3 more store fronts. He asked if I would be interested in bringing the car to one of his grand openings.

When building a car, a HUGE expense is qualilty fastners ...
Old 12-06-2005, 03:34 AM
TECH Regular

Default sponsors are tuff

I raced sprint cars for 8 years between ages 12-19 in Iowa, won 3 track championships and never finished worse than 3rd in a ponts race. had looks from steve kinsers cousin, rusty wallace's tire guy, and my dads friend is good buds w/ kenny shrader, ans still no luck, we wanted to go world of outlaws, but no luck, eventually we sold my dads car and my car cuz we felt we accomplished all we could, it was fun, and u will see the second coming of doug wolfgang, I was meant to drive
Old 12-06-2005, 07:06 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Venkman
Its not that easy. You could start by buying kneepads.