Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need inspiration

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 08:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Need inspiration

I'm wanting to make a custom dash for my 96TA. it's destroyed, top is nonexistent, front clip surrounding AC vents and gauges is warped and cracked. was left in the sun for a long time.

so, instead of buying a parts car and hoping to salvage the parts without messing them up, i want to attempt making a custom setup. everything i search is 3rd gen or older. i haven't been able to find anything for the 4th gens.

does anyone have any pictures or ideas? is like to keep the ac, but don't mind relocating vents. i thought about the fiberglass shell i found, but is basically the exact same as stock. i figured what's the point of that? might as well go all out.

I'm pretty decent with fiberglass and welding, but am lacking in the imagination department . so i figured I'd post up and see if anyone can help me out. give me some ideas, pictures maybe, just something to spark my imagination.

not looking to be a copycat, just get inspiration. any ideas?
Old 12-11-2016, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Are you planning on replacing the center console as well or just the dash?

I always wanted to make a custom dash for my Camaro, but the work involved is a bit daunting.

What kind of look were you going for?
Old 12-12-2016, 07:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

I've only seen one full out custom dash and it was in a Camaro. It was on this site too but can't remember the members name. Whole car was pretty radically modified and bagged if I remember correctly.

As far as ideas go. I'd start Google image searching some high end sport and luxury cars. Aston Martin Porsche Lamborghini......etc. might jump start you on several ideas or things you like that you can borrow from.

Keep in mind that unless you do doors and center console you need to maintain so.e amount of resemblance to the stock interior though as it may look out of place if you go to far
Old 12-12-2016, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe this might help you..............

http://www.lethalinteriors.com/dashpadcovers.html
Old 12-12-2016, 10:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What type of look are you going for?
luxuary/exotic or a mad max type car with cool but useable gauges and switches?

if you are just looking to update to match a more modern car, then having a flush mounted touch screen tablet would be a great start.

If you have a need for gauges in your car, I always liked gauge set up in a Nissan 350z.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't really care much for keeping the stock look. Wanting to do something different i guess.

i don't need the center console, but like having the storage right there. i never use the glove box really.

how difficult would it be to take the gauge cluster from one car and make it work for mine? probably more than worth it considering mine is pretty much still analog style, i think only the speedo is digital in these 96 LT1 cars. they went full digital in 97, correct?

or, i could keep my cluster as a starting point, but I'm imagining that would end up looking close to stock. which kinda defeats the purpose i guess.

i haven't taken the dash out yet, so i really need to do that first to see what kind of template or jig to make.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

You would be better off getting some aftermarket gauges and retrofitting them into whatever you come up with honestly.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
You would be better off getting some aftermarket gauges and retrofitting them into whatever you come up with honestly.
+1
also look into aeroforce gauges or a racepack.

Quick Reply: Need inspiration