Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'98 Formula WS6 1LE

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 01:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default '98 Formula WS6 1LE

I don't really intend to do a 'build' on the car per se, because I don't intend to change it too much from original, but there will be more appearance related things happening to it in the future - so I guess this section is as good as any here to start a thread about the car.

I came across this car on this site back in January of 2012 when the owner at the time was considering selling it. The car was bone stock and had around 95k miles on it. It didn't work out, and I wasn't sure what happened to the car until last summer when I saw a silver 1LE formula for sale here on tech. After doing some research on here I realized it was the same car. It had been modded, but most of the things done to the car were things I would have done myself so this was a potential time/money saver. So after thinking on it a while, I decided to sell my last car and a bunch of parts to put me in a position to make it mine.

After buying and selling several f-bodys since 2005, it seems my love for drag racing has always tended to steer the direction for what I do with performance cars, but this time I have different intentions. I'd considered a C5 (had one in 2006), but I wanted the kids to be able to ride with me. Be able to hop in and drive anywhere anytime, etc. Priorities change when life changes

So a little about these cars for those that aren't familiar...

In 1998, Pontiac offered their newly redesigned Firebird in three different iterations. The base model v6, and the two v8 models - the Formula and the Trans Am. The 'WS6' Performance Package was an available option for both the Formula and Trans Am.
For the few buyers that wanted the ultimate in performance that Pontiac had to offer, the regular production option 1LE was available. This 1LE option was carried over from the late 3rd generation cars. However, there were stipulations. If the customer wanted the 1LE package, the car had to be equipped with the WS6 package. Also, the 1LE package was only available on hardtop cars. Because of this, no Trans Ams were 1LE cars - only Formula WS6 cars.
The 1LE factory option code added larger front and rear swaybars, higher rate springs, Koni Dual Adjustable shocks, and specific front and rear control arms/bushings. When the customer selected the 1LE option, standard equipment was deleted, including: power door locks, power windows, power mirrors, power antenna, monsoon sound system, and leather wrapped wheel with radio controls. The result was a lighter, more simple car that was well-suited for every aspect of high-performance.

This specific car is 1 of 35 Firebird Formula WS6s equipped with the 1LE option, that was only offered in the 98-99 model years (GM discontinued the 1LE option mid 1999 model year due to low demand). It is 1 of 15 1LE optioned Formulas in 98, and 1 of 2 silver 1LE Formulas built in 98. It is ASC build #2626 (VIN -1048)

The 1LE name was later brought back in 2001 as a specialty option from SLP. Chevrolet brought back the 1LE moniker as a performance option in 2013 on the 5th gen camaros, but 1LE was not the RPO code used to designate this option package.

Here's a few pics of the car through the years since 2012. I've attempted to contact 'justatunedport305', but I was unable to get in touch with him - he's not real active here anymore. I'd love to see older pics.

The car was sold to '98 1LE' on here in 2012. He added the sidemolding and 'formula' badges back on the car, as well as ram air decals, and located a better shape factory single out exhaust.

It was then sold to '2MCHPWR' in 2014. He got the mod bug and did some great things with the car...

As you can see in the pics, '2MCHPWR' added a 228/232 cam, headers, fast 92 intake, strano springs & front swaybar, bluetooth radio, wideband, and few other things.

Here's some pics of taking delivery of the car last Thursday. I requested '2MCHPWR' replace the tall spoiler/hatch with the stock piece for originality's sake...

The car arrived FILTHY. and with a couple bruises. The nose has a couple dings where a tie down scratched the paint down to urethane, and the WS6 emblem was literally hanging off the bumper. Not sure whats up with that. I'm working with the shipper on the bumper dings. The car cleaned up well, then began doing a few things with the car Saturday. Reattached the WS6 emblem with good 3M trim tape, scraped the door decals off to get the car ready for some window tint, scraped the NY registration stuff from the windshield, and installed some Macewen silver gauge overlays and swapped out the bulbs to LED for more brightness.

I'm really happy with the car. It runs and drives excellent, and really is a blast to drive. I haven't been this excited about a car in years. Best of all the wife digs it and enjoys driving it as well.
The fitment of the Macewen gauge overlays is fantastic. I thought they added a nice touch to the interior without being overdone. I just removed the rear isolator from the rear springs to drop the rear end down a hair, and I may actually raise the front end about 1/2", it sits lower than other Strano spring equipped cars, which is odd to me. Maybe a difference in the Koni DA shock spring mounts. Other planned mods are:

- Clay/Polish/Wax
- Remove wideband gauge, install harlan shiftlight
- Tint the windows, probably 20% all around and 50% windshield
- Put some highflow cats on the car, get rid of the fuel smell
- Modify y-pipe with flowmaster merge, 4" e-cutout
- Replace a few stock parts for some in better condition
- Have the rear Koni DA shocks rebuilt
- Install a fabbed 3.73 geared 8.8 rear
- Install widened 17x11 rear WS6 wheels with R888s
- Replace fuel pump with a Walbro 450 and hotwire kit
- Install a CNC ported set of 243 heads
- Have car SD tuned, shooting for 450rwhp
- If I keep the car long enough and it needs some revival, I'd like to put a procharger on it

I'll keep the thread updated as progress is made
Old 01-24-2017, 07:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful car and very clean. I often times catch myself wishing I would have bought a formula instead. Looking forward to seeing your progress
Old 01-24-2017, 08:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

These 1LEs are super rare, thanks for the pics. I would love to see some more of the unique suspension parts, such as the adjusters for the shocks. Were the control arms themselves different? Or just the bushings? I have 1LE-style Moog bushings on every part of my car, but I wonder if say, your rear control arms are stiffer. I also would be curious to know the weight of your car, as it looks like someone went to great lengths to keep it down--even a single exit exhaust!
Old 01-24-2017, 10:50 PM
11 Second Club

I can try to get those pics of the adjusters. I'd planned on playing with the settings eventually, as of right now the car rides well. However, the rear shocks are off the car, the previous owner put on a pair of Bilsteins for the time being. I intend on having the rears rebuilt this summer. I have a receipt for the fronts being rebuilt in 2013 so they're fresh.
The front control arms and bushings are different. You can find one arm, but the other is very difficult to find. I think the bushings are the same story. I think these have had the bushings replaced, I wanna say I saw back in 2011 they were changed out.
The rear lower control arms I believe are the same, they just use a solid bushing. I'd have to look more into that to verify.

Yeah all the 98 WS6 cars came with this exhaust. If you find a Trans Am WS6 and it still has the factory exhaust, it will be this same one. This specific exhaust wasn't a 1LE only thing. But, I think it's cool because it's rare, and honestly the car has a nice sound to it with the headers and ORY. I will be adding cats back on the car because I want to drive it to/from work without smelling like I've been to the drags
Old 01-24-2017, 10:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Kory
Beautiful car and very clean. I often times catch myself wishing I would have bought a formula instead. Looking forward to seeing your progress
Thanks man. I like em both honestly. I just have always liked body colored hardtops, and I wanted a 6 speed again - I'd had automatics since 2009.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice. I really came to love the formula ws6 body, clean and subtle, yet still aggressive with that hood. Whereas I came to dislike the size/poroortion of the trans am spoiler. Look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Originally Posted by Photochop
The 1LE factory option code added larger front and rear swaybars, higher rate springs, Koni Dual Adjustable shocks, and specific front and rear control arms/bushings. When the customer selected the 1LE option, standard equipment was deleted, including: power door locks, power windows, power mirrors, power antenna, monsoon sound system, and leather wrapped wheel with radio controls.
Most people would want the performance/suspension WITH those extremely basic creature comforts... Hence only 30 people ordering them... most of those were probably people thinking of it as an investment... Rare car/options can mean more value down the road. Doesn't always go the way you hope though
Old 01-25-2017, 08:11 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
Very nice. I really came to love the formula ws6 body, clean and subtle, yet still aggressive with that hood. Whereas I came to dislike the size/poroortion of the trans am spoiler. Look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Most people would want the performance/suspension WITH those extremely basic creature comforts... Hence only 30 people ordering them... most of those were probably people thinking of it as an investment... Rare car/options can mean more value down the road. Doesn't always go the way you hope though
I agree. I'm a fan of Formulas with a full TA conversion - I could go either way with the nose (see DopeFedZ's white car); otherwise just keep the Formula parts on it.

I hear you on the performance aspect with basic features, but this car's history is odd in regards to how it was used by the original owner. Based on carfax info, the first owner put 73,400 miles on the car from July of '98 to September of '02. I found that pretty odd considering if I was going to buy a car and drive it a ton, I'd buy a fully optioned car. Makes me think maybe they were on a tight budget and wanted the most performance for the dollar.

I'm going to start a facebook group to try and match these 35 cars to their owners. I'm going to try my best to publicize it on here and where I can. I'm very curious about the ones that are still around. After a little research on here and the web, there's talk that at least 1 and possibly 2 of them (as of a few years back) were totaled.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

1LE

Originally Posted by eb110americana
These 1LEs are super rare, thanks for the pics. I would love to see some more of the unique suspension parts, such as the adjusters for the shocks. Were the control arms themselves different? Or just the bushings? I have 1LE-style Moog bushings on every part of my car, but I wonder if say, your rear control arms are stiffer. I also would be curious to know the weight of your car, as it looks like someone went to great lengths to keep it down--even a single exit exhaust!
They are Koni double adjustable shocks, you can buy them for these cars still, or you can buy the single adjustable version (adjusts rebound only). Killer shocks, basically the best shock out there off the shelf, nothing like the stock decarbon junk that most of these cars came with.
The adjuster for rebound is up top, and the adjuster for compression is near the bottom of the shock.
They did this on purpose so the rebound adjustment actually adjusts the piston, which makes it much more precise, this is what all the high end shocks do, you will see that drag shocks don't adjust like this (cheap and much less effective)
Front shock rebound adjustment:
Name:  Front_Adjuster_Window.jpg
Views: 1127
Size:  62.0 KB

Front shock again, you can see the compression adjuster near the bottom of the shock and if you look close you can see the rebound adjustment right before the shock shaft.

Rear shocks are the same for compression adjustment and the rebound adjuster is at the top of the shock where it connects to the car, you remove the little carpet flap and can adjust it there.

Again, this is like this because it adjusts the actual piston of the shock.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great car! I love the clean look of a Formula with the low spoiler and body color hardtop. Funny thing is this car used to be located about 25 miles from me but unfortunately never got to see it in person.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
They are Koni double adjustable shocks, you can buy them for these cars still, or you can buy the single adjustable version (adjusts rebound only). Killer shocks, basically the best shock out there off the shelf, nothing like the stock decarbon junk that most of these cars came with.
Thanks for the pics. I have the single-adjustable Konis on my car, along with Strano's springs and antiroll bars. They are pretty great (although part of me wonders what improvements compression adjustment could dial in). Mostly I was interested in where a factory adjustable setup would locate the adjusters, which are pretty difficult to get at on the fronts with Konis, where many other vehicles have them at the tops of the strut/shock towers--however, that underhood area is sealed on our cars. I am also curious how they sought to modify the control arm shape to improve handling.

Overall I am very happy with my car's ride-handling balance, but the rear needs better roll control/stiffness. I feel like the stock control arms may be twisting and flexing too much. I know they need to do this for articulation, but a bit less may be better. That, or a Watts link would hopefully help keep from bouncing left-right-left-right-left (or vice-versa) over midcorner dips at speed. But that is another topic...
Old 01-27-2017, 10:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

A 1LE!!!! Beautiful!!
Old 01-28-2017, 10:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! I've been eyeing that car for awhile, I'm glad it made its way to a good home. Sorry to hear about the trouble with the transporter!

Let me know if you hear of any more stock 1LE's up for grabs, I'd be interested to at least take a look!

Last edited by 74camaroc2; 01-28-2017 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I saw that car when 2much owned it in NY. It's incredibly clean for its age. Very nice car. Keep all the formula stuff on it.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:34 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks guys, I definitely don't plan on changing it too much from the original appearance.

Poor car has a power steering/coolant problem. Last week I noticed the car being a bit whiny sounding, so I checked the power steering fluid, it was low...and orange/brown. Ekkkk. The factory power steering 'heater' leaked causing contamination of both fluids.

So, over the weekend I swapped the upper hose and flushed the coolant with fresh water and some degreaser, running the car between each, draining, then refiling with water and draining again. Got the cooling system all done and started the power steering. Got a new power steering cooler installed under the front end behind the air dam and cut a ram air slot so it should be nice and cool now. Going to flush it tonight and hook up the hoses to the new cooler.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks guys, I definitely don't plan on changing it too much from the original appearance.

Poor car has a power steering/coolant problem. Last week I noticed the car being a bit whiny sounding, so I checked the power steering fluid, it was low...and orange/brown. Ekkkk. The factory power steering 'heater' leaked causing contamination of both fluids.

So, over the weekend I swapped the upper hose and flushed the coolant with fresh water and some degreaser, running the car between each, draining, then refiling with water and draining again. Got the cooling system all done and started the power steering. Got a new power steering cooler installed under the front end behind the air dam and cut a ram air slot so it should be nice and cool now. Going to flush it tonight and hook up the hoses to the new cooler.
Post up pics of where you mounted the cooler and how you ran the hoses. I need to do this on mine soon and I have an idea how I'm going to run the hoses but I'm second guessing myself lol
Old 02-04-2017, 08:03 AM
11 Second Club

Here's some pics from the power steering cooler install. Had some things come up this week and I'm finishing up with the flush and final fluid add today. After going thru 3 water bottles that pulled orange/tan fluid from the reservoir, I gave up and just went ahead and pulled the stock 'cooler' and put this new one on. It's a little Derale model 13200. I cut the air dam for more of a ram air effect to route air through the filter. The 13200 comes with edge fin protectors that I removed to allow air to pass through more efficiently. I was able to pull the stock rack return hose downward, and bent the metal line just a tad to take the stretch out of the hose, making it just long enough without stressing it. Should work well and I look forward to better steering response.

Old 02-04-2017, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

I hated you since Post #1* j/k. Definitely dont do a TA theme,, please God* Id almost kill for that car, she cleans up very well! And, did I spy a Seville STS tucked away??
Old 02-04-2017, 07:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Here's some pics from the power steering cooler install. Had some things come up this week and I'm finishing up with the flush and final fluid add today. After going thru 3 water bottles that pulled orange/tan fluid from the reservoir, I gave up and just went ahead and pulled the stock 'cooler' and put this new one on. It's a little Derale model 13200. I cut the air dam for more of a ram air effect to route air through the filter. The 13200 comes with edge fin protectors that I removed to allow air to pass through more efficiently. I was able to pull the stock rack return hose downward, and bent the metal line just a tad to take the stretch out of the hose, making it just long enough without stressing it. Should work well and I look forward to better steering response.

I think I'll be ordering that one, the cooler I bought is about half the size and I'm not comfortable with that lol
Old 02-05-2017, 08:29 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2JAWZ
I hated you since Post #1* j/k. Definitely dont do a TA theme,, please God* Id almost kill for that car, she cleans up very well! And, did I spy a Seville STS tucked away??
Yeah this car won't see trans am parts, main reason I had previous owner put formula hatch back on.

Yes that's an 03 magnetic ride STS and it's for sale. 80k miles and in awesome shape. Asking $5k for it
Old 02-05-2017, 08:31 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by King Nothing
I think I'll be ordering that one, the cooler I bought is about half the size and I'm not comfortable with that lol
This one's a great fit and others have had good luck with it. Plus it's pretty cheap on amazon

Quick Reply: '98 Formula WS6 1LE