Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

want to get power out of old 350!! need help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 08:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default want to get power out of old 350!! need help!

hey gueys...well this sure aint an LS1..lol got this old 90 1500 with a 350/700r4...im the proses of re-sealing the intake and valve covers and decided to upgrade the heads a bit...any ideas??

would a cam swap be to difficult for a new comer?
would swaping rockers/push rods, full exaust, e-fans & computer chip give out a good amout of ponys to this old 350 with out swaping a cam?? if so wat ratio should i go rockers and wat lenght on the push rods??

any info would help guys??
thanks

ps..this is gona be my DD..and thats why i want some difference from stock power..
Old 12-24-2009, 01:59 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Problem is, you have TBI injection, it will do ok with things such as cold air induction, headers and a injector spacer, but they are not known to respond well to mods such as cam and heads swaps. The TBI injection was never meant to make power on the level so many of us desire and tuning them can be near impossible.

That is the reason i have converted every TBI camaro i have ever had into a carbureted car.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:06 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Problem is, you have TBI injection, it will do ok with things such as cold air induction, headers and a injector spacer, but they are not known to respond well to mods such as cam and heads swaps. The TBI injection was never meant to make power on the level so many of us desire and tuning them can be near impossible.

That is the reason i have converted every TBI camaro i have ever had into a carbureted car.
I agree with everything you have said about cars with TBI. Everybody with TBI has removed TBI and went to a carb. That will do more to get more power out of that 350.

Suggestions such as cam and head swaps, headers, spacers, cold air injection are great for creating power for your 350.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:06 PM
Staging Lane

TPI can make great power. 89 Vette 383 AFR Heads stock tune and runs 11.0ss all day long. Need to pick the right cam stay under 0.550 lift. You have a 1990 ecm that means you have a map sensor. The car will run rich untll the ecm has been reprogramed. The reason is the tbi wants to see 19 to 20" of vacumm with the new cam and heads your vacumm will be around 15". The peak Hp will be around 5400.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:24 PM
Launching!

thanks guys....well im not looking to be fast or anything like that...i just want more power for the driving comfort..dont like the slow week trucks..cus if i did i wouldnt drive gm..lol
so if i change the ratio of the rockers add full exaust, k&n filter...should i go ahead and get the computer chip????
Old 12-25-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are trying to do a lil beef up of a TBI motor turbo city is the place you are looking for. They did a build of a 305 TBi in a camaro in Gm hihg tech mag and turbo cith tuned it and it made something close to 270 at the wheels, which isn't bad for a weak *** 305. Here is the link to them.

http://www.turbocity.com/default.php...e2c45870e9a81a
Old 12-26-2009, 02:56 PM
Launching!

thanks 87...yea i just want a lil more power..just to hold me down till i get enought to drop a 5.3 next year..
but yea i found another cite like that one..parft are a bit cheeper..lol
www.cfm-tech.com
Old 12-26-2009, 09:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by blklime02
hey gueys...well this sure aint an LS1..lol got this old 90 1500 with a 350/700r4...im the proses of re-sealing the intake and valve covers and decided to upgrade the heads a bit...any ideas??

would a cam swap be to difficult for a new comer?
would swaping rockers/push rods, full exaust, e-fans & computer chip give out a good amout of ponys to this old 350 with out swaping a cam?? if so wat ratio should i go rockers and wat lenght on the push rods??

any info would help guys??
thanks

ps..this is gona be my DD..and thats why i want some difference from stock power..
i've done up a pile of these trucks. they are very rpm limed due to the tbi and the swirl port head design. their strong point though is great low end torque.

shave the heads, 204-214 @50 .480" lift cam, and flow tech after burner headers works well with the stock chip and offers a nice power upgrade. but dont think you'll be running with any newer trucks.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:57 PM
Launching!

well if tbi has its down part...wat would be the list of things i would need to convert to carbureted????
Old 12-29-2009, 12:28 AM
On The Tree

vortec heads,intake for vortec and 650 holley,long tubes of course.

The tbi can be tuned quite easily and some of the 305 guys have been quite succussful doing so,that being said it will make more power per dollar with a carb.

The cam in your truck is ment to pull,not speed,if you tow you will want to keep it,if you want speed find a used lt1 cam for it-just make sure the guy sends it:puke:
Old 12-29-2009, 07:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by blklime02
well if tbi has its down part...wat would be the list of things i would need to convert to carbureted????
carb, intake, 70's gm hei distributor...

the intake bolts on the tbi heads have a slightly different pattern. the four center ones go in almost straight down. any common 4 barrel intake will work but the 4 center holes will have to be drilled or slotted.

the stock fuel pump might work. but you'll need a pressure regulator. carbs usually accept a max of 8 psi, and the in tank tbi pump runs between 12-15. whether or not it will have sufficient flow at WOT though i dont know

Quick Reply: want to get power out of old 350!! need help!