Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

sbc 305

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 02:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sbc 305

hey guys I'm trying to get this 305 started first I seem to not be getting gas up to the carb out on a new fuel pump still the same problem is there anyway to put pressure into the gas tank? and last is my positive and negative battery cables are getting hot to the touch melting my terminals any ideas
Old 08-06-2015, 10:26 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the fuel pump lobe on your camshaft has broken. As far as the battery goes you have a short somewhere, disconnect it immediately before it explodes! You'll have to go through with a multimeter to find the short.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:21 PM
9 Second Club

im assuming mechanical pump. if so take a paint can cap and pour some fuel down the fuel bowl vent tubes and it should fire up. the pump needs to prime and it wont do that by just turning it over with the starter, it needs to fire up. the battery cables getting hot may be a short but with the assumption about a mech pump im willing to bet you are turning the motor over for a long period of time. that is 100s of amps going through those cables. so they will get hot doing that. just fill the carb bowls up and start it up. you may have to do this a few times.

this is why i run an electric fuel pump, **** those mechanical pumps
Old 08-09-2015, 08:26 PM
Launching!

I'd use ether/starting fluid to start it. Another thing you can do is take a siphon pump to the line off the top of the pump to get fuel up into it to help get things going. The other things being obvious, but make sure enough fuel is in the tank and all the lines are connected.

If it's getting hot enough to melt terminals I wouldn't think it'd be anything but a short. Of course I've never run a starter for more than 30 seconds at a time like you're supposed to as well, that and I've always used at least 2-4 gauge wiring.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:08 PM
9 Second Club

I dont like using starting fluid cause that could literally cause a small backfire. pouring fuel down the vent for the fuel bowls it will start normally like it should until the fuel runs out of the bowls. very simple, very safe and very easy.

a stock starter pulls bookoo's of amperage and its probably on a small gauge wire

Last edited by v8sten; 08-09-2015 at 11:19 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:24 AM
Launching!

Gasoline can backfire too. The only problem with getting fuel through the vents is you need a syringe or pump to do it without getting it everywhere. Guess could use a cheap turkey baster too. If it has fuel hose leading from the pump to the carb could pull the hose and place a funnel into the hose to pour it in.

Yes, but melting terminals isn't the norm. Well, as long as it's not a British car anyway.

Last edited by Boxxx; 08-10-2015 at 05:35 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:38 PM
9 Second Club

way too much thought in this, its extremely easy. cut a little "V" on the edge of the cap to pour the fuel in the vent. 1 cap will fill a bowl.

there is more than one way to skin a cat, im just offering an easier and more effective way to get his motor running.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:03 AM
Launching!

The vents on my Edelbrock have covers that swing out and they're quite small, so using a syringe would be the easiest way. Being he hasn't responded back yet I'm guessing he finally got it on his own.

Quick Reply: sbc 305