Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

For those that have put a SBC in a 4th Gen...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 11:07 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default For those that have put a SBC in a 4th Gen...

I am in the process right now of tearing apart the car, and getting rid of anything I do not need. I want to get rid of all the wiring, but am unsure on what to take out, and what not to. I am gonna use the car for the drag strip mostly, only seeing the street occasionally. Let me know on what I can/can't do. Thanks.

Matt
Old 11-13-2005, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you planning on using your stock gauges?
Old 11-13-2005, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

I'm in the process of building my wire harness right now. I removed all of the factory wiring, removed the connectors I needed fromt he factory harness (ie lights, switches, gauge cluster and fuse panel), and know I'm building a harness that will use the factory switches, fuse panel (dash mounted) and gauges. I didn't want to see any of the factory wiring under the hood, including the fuse/relay panel, so I built mine with everything under the dash. I ran the front lighting wires under the inner fender so that even those wouldn't be seen.
On a side note, I pulled a bunch of weight out of the car, I removed both bumpers and made a metal brace to support the bumper covers. I also removed all of the padding from carpet. The factory wiring weighs a ton, the harness I'm making to replace it weighs a fraction of the factory harness. I also pulled all of the air bag stuff, ABS, a/c, plastic innner fenders and bottom panels. I removed the pass. side wiper (this was because it was in the way of the Dominator carb.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i also was wondering the same question cause i am getting ready to do my sbc swap.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:29 AM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by Strokinit383
Are you planning on using your stock gauges?

No, I am not. Going to be using Autometer replacement guages.

The car is almost fully gutted right now. I have one seat, no carpet, airbags, a/c, hvac, etc. I just don't want to take out the wrong wires that operate the headlights, turn signals, brakes, etc. I no longer have ABS.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you arent going to use the stock gauges, you wont need much. My swap was on a 94 so there will be some things different, but it should be very similar. The wiring for the lights and signals up front are on a seperate harness than the pcm. Get a wiring diagram for your engine and gauges, this will help out a ton. There should be some in the back of your repair manual, if you have one. You will need to ground the grounds coming from the pass. side firewall, i think there is only 1 (black/white stripe). I dont know how your coils power up due to the coil over cylinder setup on the ls1, but you will need to find a power wire to power up your coil. There should be others on here that will be able to answer that. I believe mine was a pink wire, roughly 18ga. You will run all new wires to the sensors on your motor so you wont need any of the wires there. I think the tach lead is same size and white (you prob. wont need this if you are going to rewire all of your sensors). Not sure on these but your wiring diagram should tell you all of this. You will need to keep the power wire to your starter. Mine was purple. I didnt mess with any of the wires running on the drivers side to the lights/signals to keep those intact. I think one of the smartests things to do would be to remove the wires sensor by sensor, wrap and label them. Do each one that way you know what each group of wires is for and that you DONT need them. I didnt do this when i pulled my motor but really wished i wouldve. Hope this helps.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:24 PM
Retired Street Racer

Thanks!
Old 11-13-2005, 10:07 PM
11 Second Club

okay since this is the small block conversion thread, i want to ask a question. i keep hearing people say you have to use a new K member and i have a 94 camaro v6 car and then i also hear people saying just throw on some LT1 mounts and they will work...so what really will work?
Old 11-13-2005, 10:57 PM
Retired Street Racer

I am going to use a motor plate.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:02 PM
Retired Street Racer

What year of the LT1 headers are you guys using to bolt up to the SBC and have no clearance issues with on a 4th gen f-body?
Old 11-14-2005, 05:17 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1Camaro
I am going to use a motor plate.
seems to be the best rout, probably what im going to do also even though i didnt want to
Old 11-14-2005, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I used the bmr tubular k member. Got it when it was on sale and fitment was great. I dont think the lt1 mounts will work. So either new k member, motor plate, or fab up your own mounts. As far as headers, i went with the lt1 pacesetter long tubes. They fit great and look good too (ceramic).
Old 11-14-2005, 09:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Camaro396
okay since this is the small block conversion thread, i want to ask a question. i keep hearing people say you have to use a new K member and i have a 94 camaro v6 car and then i also hear people saying just throw on some LT1 mounts and they will work...so what really will work?

Your stock k-member will work but you'd have to use a motorplate. Or you can go aftermarket k-member with no motor mounts (drop some weight) and use a motorplate again. Or you can get the BMR unit that has the SBC motormounts. And lastly you can use the LT1 motor mounts but only 2 of the bolts line up. That's only if you want to take the chance

What year of the LT1 headers are you guys using to bolt up to the SBC and have no clearance issues with on a 4th gen f-body?
Any LT1 header will work since its the same 23 degreed head
Old 11-14-2005, 09:17 AM
11 Second Club

if i use the LT1 mounts, and put in two bolts, cant i just drill out the 3rd? also how much is the sbc tubular k-member, i heard theyre really expensive and im trying to do this on a budget, because i cant afford a whole lot right now and im tryin to do the best with what i can.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Camaro396
if i use the LT1 mounts, and put in two bolts, cant i just drill out the 3rd? also how much is the sbc tubular k-member, i heard theyre really expensive and im trying to do this on a budget, because i cant afford a whole lot right now and im tryin to do the best with what i can.

The BMR website is showing 500. But you can always try to get in on a GP or a sale add
Old 11-14-2005, 10:04 AM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by Carbed4thGen
Any LT1 header will work since its the same 23 degreed head

Ok, thanks. Reason I asked was I noticed that they made them in 93-95, then 96-97. Then some companies, like pacesetter, just do 93-97. I assume it is for emissions equipment, which I do not need.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, thanks. Reason I asked was I noticed that they made them in 93-95, then 96-97. Then some companies, like pacesetter, just do 93-97. I assume it is for emissions equipment, which I do not need.

Ya the different years are just for different emissions type of things. If I were you I'd be going with the kooks. Since they do have a BIGGER header option.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Carbed4thGen
Ya the different years are just for different emissions type of things. If I were you I'd be going with the kooks. Since they do have a BIGGER header option.
Thats if you have a BIGGER wallet. HAHA.
Old 11-14-2005, 03:51 PM
11 Second Club

so say i want to go ahead and run the LT1 motor mounts..what do i do go to the GM dealer and order a set of motor and frame mounts for a LT1 camaro? and what do i do for a driveshaft and crossmember if i want to run a 700R4 transmission? i also heard you have to run a LS1 radiator and no stock gauges will work..
Old 11-14-2005, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not sure about the mounts. Id say probably pick up an lt1 k member. Driveshaft (m6 or auto) and 4l60e auto crossmember will bolt right up to 700r4. You dont have to run an ls1 radiator at all. You can use whichever radiator you want as long as it keeps the motor cool. I have a 94 and all of my stock gauges work. I reused the stock water temp, oil pressure sensors. Volt meter is run off of drivers side harness so it works. Stock fuel gauge works. I got my speedo recalibrated for t56 swap and ran the tach lead to my new coil. So everyone of my gauges work fine.

Quick Reply: For those that have put a SBC in a 4th Gen...