Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

tpi-lt1 intake, is it really worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 08:12 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tpi-lt1 intake, is it really worth it?

i have a mildly built 350 w/ the tpi system, my brother is giving me a LT1 manifold w/ injectors and fuel rail, is it worth the $200 to send it to lt1intake.com to get it ready for my engine or would i be better off going w/ a RPM air gap and a 750 carb??
Old 12-11-2007, 09:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

YES,YES,
after years of working with 3rd gen camaros,i will tell you EFI is well worth the extra bucks in the beginning.the Lt1 intake idea is great if you don't mind a few extra cooling lines etc.the other angle is to get a Holley Stealthram so you have a few choices.as far as performance they are really close.check this site below to see the charts......
www.stealthram.com

Last edited by 96lt1m6; 12-11-2007 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-11-2007, 10:58 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Hell yea, it is really cost effecient. It will not fall on its face at high RPM no matter how many modifications you have done to the engine.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:33 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 96lt1m6
YES,YES,
after years of working with 3rd gen camaros,i will tell you EFI is well worth the extra bucks in the beginning.the Lt1 intake idea is great if you don't mind a few extra cooling lines etc.the other angle is to get a Holley Stealthram so you have a few choices.as far as performance they are really close.check this site below to see the charts......
www.stealthram.com

yeah ive thought about that mani but the price is a bit high for me right now, im gettin the lt1 intake for free so i will be goin that route instead!

Is there anythin else that i'm gonna have to know when i swap the tpi to lt1?? other than all the holes and lines that have to be modified to make it work? do i have to get it tuned?
Old 12-17-2007, 01:13 AM
Staging Lane

you might want to search this over at thirdgen.org there has been several posts about this guy scaming people.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:34 AM
On The Tree

Patience, grasshopper. I wouldn't waste my time on the LT1 intake swap nowadays, especially with the BBK intake manifold for TPI applications coming out very soon....;
Attached Thumbnails tpi-lt1 intake, is it really worth it?-bbk-tpi.jpg  
Old 12-17-2007, 07:03 AM
TECH Regular

Wow, if I was going to spend that much I think I would head for the SuperRam. Proven to be an awesome performer and imho better looks .

Last edited by Awake455; 12-17-2007 at 07:10 AM.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:45 AM
Staging Lane

yeah i would love to go w/ an aftermarket intake mani but the thing is that they retail for over $400! the LT1 intake mani i'm gettin for free and ive been researching alot and i beleive i can do it myself, i have all the right tools at home and the right help as well, so in case it wont fit, i didnt waste any money! and also the lt1 is gonna have a better flow than the tpi, so when budget is a problem, i guess the lt1 is the cheapest and best way to go, is that correct? or is there somethin better out there for the price?
Old 12-17-2007, 09:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Street Lethal
Patience, grasshopper. I wouldn't waste my time on the LT1 intake swap nowadays, especially with the BBK intake manifold for TPI applications coming out very soon....;
WOW that intake is ugly,a 3 year wait for that thing! no disrespect to you and thanks for posting a pic but that intake is cosmetic disaster especially compared to the original TPI unit.....20 years since the superram and they come out with an intake that looks like a ford product hybrid,with the amount of Lt1 ccars flooding the tracks running 12s,11's,10s,9s and about to hit 8's i really think the 'ol Lt1 intake has proved itself.
i had hopes that BBk would create a 1pc intake to cut down the weight of 100 bolts to hold it in place...
Top winners in performance:
TPIS miniram
Lt1 intake
Superram
Stealthram
for the money vs.performance you cannot beat the Lt1 and there are more people on a budget that would agree..
Old 12-17-2007, 06:35 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've heard the superram is hell to work on. Like was said above the LT1 intake is the best bang for your buck upgrade intake wise for TPI engines.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:34 AM
Staging Lane

...for the money vs.performance you cannot beat the Lt1 and there are more people on a budget that would agree..
i totally agree w/ you on that one, thats why i asked if it was worth it!!

but now i'm a bit confused, some people are saying that its not worth the time/money and others are sayin its deff. worth to go the LT1 intake!! are there any more opinions out there??

thanks for all the good info!
Old 12-18-2007, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

WOW that intake is ugly,a 3 year wait for that thing! no disrespect to you and thanks for posting a pic but that intake is cosmetic disaster especially compared to the original TPI unit.....
^ LMMFAO!

In the words of Mr. Miyagi, when Ralph Macchio commented on that foul smelling medicine to heal his wounds, "smell bad, heal good"....

The BBK's internal design is what really counts, not it's external;

Function: The stock fuel rails are retained and all of the factory emissions and EGR remain functional....

Smog/CARB/E.O#: Since all of the EGR/PCV/emissions related functions are retained, there is no reason why this unit would not pass a CARB test to acheive E.O. status. Obviously, that testing procedure takes time and the product must be produced and released before it can go through the testing so it won't have an E.O. # the day it comes out but when it does get a # all units will be covered....

Design: The set-up consists of 3 castings, what you see (or don't see there) is; A unique lower intake with our own pattern, A flat base plate that sits on top of the lower (and on top of the injector rails), A top casting that bolts to the baseplate, 1-3/4" tubes that connect the baseplate to the lower intake. The baseplate has openings around the perimeter to connect to the runner tubes. The baseplate and top cover attach with bolts around the perimeter. At this time they are going up from the bottom, but I am going to have them going down from the top because trying to get them going from the bottom sucks and requires a retarded ratcheting allen head tool which I'm sure almost nobody has....

^ as per Bryan Rogers....
Old 12-19-2007, 07:06 PM
TECH Junkie

LMMFAO!

In the words of Mr. Miyagi, when Ralph Macchio commented on that foul smelling medicine to heal his wounds, "smell bad, heal good"....

The BBK's internal design is what really counts, not it's external;

In total defense of the TPI, the new intake should be as SEXY as the intake that is being replaced,thats a let down! As a former L98 z28 and T/A owner i would not be proud to pop my hood to show off my new intake if that thing was there!
It is just my opinion and i do appreciate the fact that someone has taken it upon theirself to introduce an intake for one of the sexiest F body generations ever.
As far as performance, it could be like an ugly chick thats bomb in bed but you don't bring her out in public...........
Old 12-19-2007, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

...As far as performance, it could be like an ugly chick thats bomb in bed but you don't bring her out in public...........
LMAO.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:06 AM
On The Tree

In total defense of the TPI, the new intake should be as SEXY as the intake that is being replaced, thats a let down!
Sexy? Didn't realize that this was a glamour competition lol. If your looking to show your engine in that respect, then, your going to have to pay for those looks just like everything else. Yes, I can pay over two grand for a set of rims that look drop dead "sexy", but then again I can pay about half as much for a set of lightweight Weld Rims that, might not look as good as the former, but perform just as good, if not better, and, from a racing perspective, that's all that really matters with the end result....

Bling Bling, that is EPA approved, is going to cost more than $399.00. You she be greatful to BBK. The intake manifold is emissions friendly, however, if they made it look "sexy" in addition to what they spent getting the damn thing approved, I doubt very much the price would remain at $399.00. If you ask me, an intake that's going to flow better than the Holley Stealth Ram, is EPA approved unlike the Holley Stealth Ram, accepts the stock fuel rails unlike the Holley Stealth Ram, and cost's less than the Holley Stealth Ram, is one heck of a deal. I'll sacrifice the appearance of the top of my engine for much better breathing, and all around performance, over the "looks" of the stock TPI setup any day of the week....

[/end]
Old 12-20-2007, 10:37 AM
TECH Junkie

LOL, thats all good my friend...it resembles the superram and that was a great success even with the 100 bolts to bolt it on!(i did a bunch in the 90s)
actual on car testing is the way to see if those FLOW numbers are relative
and can support the claim. the cost of 399.00 is also nice especially for an Emissions approved intake,it would be worth it to change the design of the fuel rail and reg.will there be room to improve that aspect? i respect your opinion and i share many of the same thoughts about this product!

Quick Reply: tpi-lt1 intake, is it really worth it?