Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

bad news fellas

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bad news fellas

all this time and work on this stroker motor has mostly been for nothing....... last night after wondering whats wrong with this motor me and my freind came to a conclusion and the cam has to be eaten up..... there was fine metal powderish stuff all in my oil and top of the heads and the rockers wont stay tight and loosen up after 5 seconds of turning the engine over..... i broke in this cam exactly the way lunati told me too and i am pissed off like a MFer! i have no idea how this happened but im pretty sure i have to take the engine out again and have it gone through...... all i can say is i know this dont happen all the time but screw having an engine built! all you have is problems, get a crate engine that has been broken in already that has a warranty! jake
Old 04-11-2008, 10:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. What makes you think it's the cam? I'm guessing you have a flat tappet cam of some sort.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've had that happen to me once... it was just a bad cam. Make sure that your lifters are pumped up almost all the way before you put them in.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:44 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And that's why I'm done with flat tappets for good. Not worrying about cams going flat is well worth the cost of upgrading to a roller, along with the much greater power potential. Sorry to hear about your luck man, I've had my share of flat lobes too.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks guys! the big problem is i am starting the LT1 project and paying for a YSI blower and 4340 forged engine in that too..... the 68w as supposed to be done and all my time was able to go to the green machine......oh well lol
Old 04-11-2008, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ATCFLYBOY02
I've had that happen to me once... it was just a bad cam. Make sure that your lifters are pumped up almost all the way before you put them in.
why would that matter?

you should never do that, otherwise you'll never get proper preload on the lifter when you tighten the rocker nut.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:16 PM
TECH Resident

I'm thinking he's just talking about priming the engine really good so you don't have to worry about them bouncing around in there too long. Also if you pump them up all the way, by the time you actually get them all in and everything bolted up they should have bled down a little so setting your preload will be fine.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:32 PM
Banned

I always block the oil filter bypass. I've had a bastard of a sbc eat two edelbrock cams (it was their fault they warranteed them) All I ever did was pour some mineral spirits down the lifter valley followed by oil. Installed a real cam and never had a problem with oil pressure or anything else. It never showed metal anywhere I guess because the oil filter wasn't bypassing.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:29 PM
Launching!

How much spring pressure are you running? I have seen flat tappet cams goes flat from too much spring pressure and not enough heat cycles. As far as the metal in the pan, if its a new engine you will have it plain and simple with a bypass style fliter adapter. When you rub to pieces of metal together your going to have wear, all new flat tappet camshafts come w/ moly lube and are parkarized to pretect them. The break in process takes some of this hard coating off, thats why you should always change the oil not long after the swap. I cut the oil filter open on EVERY engine I build to see whats happening inside, there will always be some metal sludge in a new engine the ? is how much is in yours? BTW even if you flatten the came the motor should still be fine just change the oil and douche it out w/ some diesel fuel to get it cleaned up. Slide in a nice .600" lift hyd roller and be done with it.......

+1 on the bypass I only run solid oil filter adapters, otherwise the filter is useless
Old 04-12-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

My flat tappet sollid roller took a dump on me. The polly-lock or whatever proke in my number 5 cylinder rocker arm, cam puched out the lifter and threw it in the oil valley and the push rod rode on the cam chewing it up and sending some metal threw the engine.

http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/j...vids%20Camaro/

Page 2 or so.

Motor is .60 over with some cylinder wall damage and may be junk....

Might start from scratch and keep the intake and heads..... this all just after my fuel pumps took a crap.

I would drain and flush out the oil and run a magnet threw it and that will give you an idea on damage and if its really metal or not.

I am not going to go back to a flat tappet.

Another buddy of mine has a 402 LS1 with a F1R and its having oil pressure issues... quite a few people having bad luck this year...

Quick Reply: bad news fellas