Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

emissions question for NC guys

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default emissions question for NC guys

Off Road pipes be ok for awhile in NC? i know there isnt a sniffer test here but aslong as you have the codes tuned out you will pass correct? how long you think it will be before NC inspection start sniffer test? Im thinkin of going Off road pipe but not sure if i will pass or how it will be in the future.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

NC does not have a sniffer test anymore at least in the RDU area where im from, but they DO have a visual inspection so if you dont have cats you will fail that
Old 08-20-2006, 03:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

but there are sooo many ppl in NC that run an off road pipe. it must be easy to get away with right?
Old 08-20-2006, 08:54 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jlashley2001ss
but there are sooo many ppl in NC that run an off road pipe. it must be easy to get away with right?
Yes it is easy to get a way with! Emissions are different from county to county in NC.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

If I live in Alamance county, i can drive to another county if its easier correct?
Old 08-20-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You have to pass a visual no matter where your at. You can get inspected at any county you wish but the requirements follow you to that county. For instance.. A few years ago in Mecklingburg county when they where doing sniffer on everything my 93 formula recieved a safety only inspection because it was registered in cumberland.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

i see you think they will do sniffer tests soon in other counties in NC?
Old 08-20-2006, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No, I don't think you understand . Just because it passes the OBD2 check doesn't mean the car will pass. Its got to pass a visual also.. which means that the car must have the orginal number of cats in the proper location. It also has EGR/AIR if orginally equipped. You may be able to find some back shed mechanic but theres nothing you can do to get around the system l egitimately. Your only hope for passing is to find someone that will look the other wayon your modifications.

This is coming from someone who held a inspection license.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Alvin
No, I don't think you understand . Just because it passes the OBD2 check doesn't mean the car will pass. Its got to pass a visual also.. which means that the car must have the orginal number of cats in the proper location. It also has EGR/AIR if orginally equipped. You may be able to find some back shed mechanic but theres nothing you can do to get around the system l egitimately. Your only hope for passing is to find someone that will look the other wayon your modifications.

This is coming from someone who held a inspection license.
this is very correct..i have my inspection license too and if it wont pass the visual it wont pass.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

well how do all these people that have no cats get away with it....there are soooo many ppl that have no cats???!!
Old 08-20-2006, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have my inspection license, but nowhere to inspect, but i can tell you that they get away with it because their car will pass the plug in (OBD2 emissions test), and they know someone who will pass them on the visual part of the test.

i think that it will still be several years before they do a sniffer test. it will cost alot of money for them to get equipment (dynos and stuff) so that they can start doing sniffer testing like they do in California, besides for that there is no pressing issue for them to have a sniffer test because we do not have a smog problem (although Charlotte is starting to develop a problem).
Old 08-20-2006, 09:44 PM
TECH Regular

test pipes.... or gutted cats, rite now i have an orx pipe and i think im just going to gut some cats to pass visual inspection.

Quick Reply: emissions question for NC guys