Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

SCAMS - GMMG Cars #66SS & Year One BB #4 (silver)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 07:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default SCAMS - GMMG Cars #66SS & Year One BB #4 (silver)

There are a couple possible scams that have been going on for awhile now.....

I thought I'd share.........

10am May 20th - I just got off the phone with the owner - he has the car in FLA & the Lake Tahoe listing is a total scam. He is trying to sell #66 SS.

[SIZE="4"]#66 SS - (silver) - I met the owner & his son on the 2009 Power Tour - I talked to hime 6 weeks ago when his war was listed by the scammer & he assured me the car was in his garage in FLA.[/SIZE]

It's on Craig's List in South Lake Tahoe - CA -Here's how this scam goes....... (this guys reply to Dan) $4,700 is the scammers price - way low & too good to be true.

Hello,

I am sorry but the pick up and the test drive are not available because I am not in the country.As I told you in my first e-mail, I am in United Kingdom. Before leaving I had prearranged the deal with MSN Autos so my presence isn't necessary. The car is at the shipping company in USA, ready to be delivered. The shipping cost is included in the total price of the car! You have 5 days to test it and inspect the car.So if you want to make this deal I need the following details from you:full name and address,shipping address,phone #
After I will have all this details I will forward them to MSN Autos and I will proceed the order. MSN Autos will contact you with all the details that you need to complete this deal and also to see that I am covered by them and that I am legit seller. Waiting your email with the requested details.

Thanks

Here's the response I got back when I e-mailed from the listing. Again a bunch of BS with no name, phone, address or anything.........

Hello,

Sorry for the delayed response, but I'm in London (United Kingdom) right now and I have been very busy. Anyway, thank you for your interest in buying the 2002 Chevrolet Camaro . The car is located in USA right now. Why is the price so low?I am going trough a divorce, and I had to move out of USA.So all that I want to do now is to sell the car at this price, because I need to sell it fast.The title is clean. The car has 21,943 miles.It is in immaculate condition, rust free, no scratch at all and hasn't been involved in any accident. The motor runs very well. The interior looks great. This car needs nothing. I want this transaction to go smoothly enough as I am caught in the middle of some very important events and have little time to my disposal. I already have tones of emails so I hope you understand that I need to sort them out. The price is $4,760.00. THIS IS MY LAST PRICE. Also, I take in consideration only those buyers who are really interested in buying the car, to be sure that I don't waste my time with endless discussions. This way, I shall be assured of the serious intentions.

Thanks

Year One Blackbird #4 (silver) - This guy claims the car is real, won't send any info or photos to prove it, can't get an e-mail - has been going on for awhile.

UPDATE Saturday May 15th- My pal Jim in Idaho finally tracked down the YO Blackbird #4 - He said the car is real - was sold & has some photos of it. I'll post when I get more info.

If is sounds too good to be true - be careful.

Check the GMMG Registry @ www.gmmgregistry.com

Jim

Last edited by daytonajim; 05-22-2010 at 10:24 AM. Reason: more info
Old 05-21-2010, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep contacted this guy about the Silver Berger #66 last year he kept putting me off said he was out of the country.

BTW Jim I and sending you a bunch of emailed photos of the GMMG cars (Tom henry, ZL1, DEI SS, and DH cars)

Sean
Old 05-21-2010, 09:38 PM
Staging Lane

This crap has been going on since I sold BB #38. It was posted in three different cities for 7,000. I wish there was a way to catch these people. Jim call me I have info on that Year One Blackbird.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

If you ever see a listing like that where the seller will not let you see the car in person, it is a scam. I've seen this on a number of different vehicles.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Havent you people watched the news in the last couple of years. This is a new take on the old scam where guys in Africa go to internet lounges...pay money to go online and this is all they do. Watched it on dateline a while back. Its like one of those "Cash this check (which is over the amount of the car your selling) then return the extra funds via wire transfer and send me your car" type of thing's. Then next you know, the bank calls and says the check bounced, youre out the extra funds, and your car. F'in scamers!!!

Same type of thing. Like stated.... if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!
Old 05-23-2010, 06:23 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Had a stupid & hardheaded coworker at my old job almost get scammed by this very thing. The only thing that saved his *** was there was some sort of issue with sending the money via Western Union.

He was dead set on having a 1983 Dodge pickup because that was the year of his birth. He found one on ebay, and I tried to point out the obvious signs of a scam. The owner was in London, but the truck was in Australia. Well in the photos posted the license plates were Michigan plates & weren't even the correct shape for an Australian license plate. The seller also said the shipping company would pick it up at his supposed home in Australia, crate it over to the US, and then deliver it to his front door. I called total BS on that statement as well. It's been a few years so I can't quite remember all the flaws I found, but there were too many and I tried to suggest not going through with the deal.

Since the money wouldn't transfer, he ended up giving up on it. Eventually, he found the exact same truck listed for sale on another website with a Michigan address. Since he just had to have that truck, he drove up and bought it. It was a complete piece of crap. Hell, it didn't even run, and he paid a guy from Indy that had a rollback to drive all the way up to get it. He paid some shop thousands of dollars to get it running again, and then burnt up the transmission the first time he drove it.

It's a shame that there are too many people out there that won't take the time to see all the obvious faults with vehicle sales postings like these & end up losing thousands of dollars. If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:31 PM
9 Second Club

They even had that SS list on Alaska craigslist for a while. I flagged it everytime I saw it because I knew it was a fake ad.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This scam is kinda old actually. I learned of it a few years ago when I was looking to buy an SS. Car was listed on autotrader & says hes in Alaska. $10,900 for a MINT 15,000 mile NBM 01 SS M6 with pics of an immaculate car worth waaay more. Shipping is included in the price, 5 days to inspect before sending the full amount through Yahoo Autos escrow service(no such thing) but only have to send $2800 to the seller & he ships the car. Claimed he was a SGT in the Army & they would ship the car for him for free. I played along, he sends me an email with payment instructions to send a MoneyGram to some guy in New York. Sad thing is people actually fall for this crap. Guy I used to work with has an uncle that fell for this type of scam, thought he was getting a mint shape classic car for $3500 & sent the money
Old 06-20-2010, 07:04 AM
On The Tree

i was looking for a real nice pontoon boat and someone forwarded me a listing and picture from craigslist. 15,000 boat for like 5,500 just a few miles from my house. long story short-called a really weird #, said they were out of country, but boat was in Vegas at shipping company, send money and they would send the boat. although i have broken this rule once, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT UNTIL YOU CAN SEE, TOUCH, SMELL, DRIVE, AND RESEARCH, and then SLEEP ON IT FOR AT LEAST ONE NIGHT!!! things sometimes look different in the morning. if it still seems like a good idea, then proceed. those are wise rules some wise people told me once.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:53 AM
On The Tree

Default Year One Blackbird #4 update

July 17, 2010 ----

Here's another example of doing your homework.

My pal Jim from Bosie , ID did his homework monitoring & trying to determine if this was the real deal.

He stayed with it & bought a 950 mile Year One Silver Blackbird #4 Saturday July 17th. It's one of only 10 built. AWESOME !!!!

You just never know... It appeared to be a scam for quite awhile.... Jim & I have uncovered a few cars this way.

My CETA Blackbird #4 was the same kind of deal & is one of 4 CETA BB's T-Top's built by GMMG.

Check the GMMG Registry if you have any questions. Still looking for photos & info on other GMMG Cars.

Jim Smith
www.gmmgregistry.com
SCAMS -  GMMG Cars #66SS & Year One BB #4 (silver)-4y1bbsilverwindow.jpg

SCAMS -  GMMG Cars #66SS & Year One BB #4 (silver)-4y1bbsilver-6-.jpg

SCAMS -  GMMG Cars #66SS & Year One BB #4 (silver)-4y1bbsilver-12-.jpg

SCAMS -  GMMG Cars #66SS & Year One BB #4 (silver)-cetaunity-001-copy.jpg
Old 07-18-2010, 05:28 PM
Staging Lane

Hey Jim thanks for the credit but you have been a huge help with this car also. From the vin number to the door tag and all your expertese on buying cars. I really appreciate your friendship!
Old 07-21-2010, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

Awesome! So, where was it hidden?!?!
Old 07-22-2010, 05:14 AM
On The Tree

Default Found Year On BB #4 in California

Jim Simon keep digging & found the car somewhere near Los Angeles & bought it July 17, 2010.

This is way better than a barn find - only 950 miles - perfect & original.

It pays to do your homework........Way to go Jim!

Jim

SCAMS -  GMMG Cars #66SS & Year One BB #4 (silver)-4y1bbsilver-2-.jpg

SCAMS -  GMMG Cars #66SS & Year One BB #4 (silver)-4y1bbsilverwindow.jpg
Old 08-03-2010, 09:23 PM
12 Second Club

I'm actually looking for either a CETA blackbird, 35th blackbird, ZL1, or a berger ss. Thanks for the heads up and i've been constantly checking the GMMG registry.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:19 PM
Staging Lane

Hey Joeyelbows Jim has a CETA Blackbird for sale

Last edited by jim simon; 08-07-2010 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:17 AM
On The Tree

There's actually a lot of GMMG cars for sale right now. There are 4 for sale on ebay. I believe Jim has 2 for sale. I have also seen 2 Black Birds and a Tom Henry for sale on craigslist. So in the past couple weeks, I've seen a total of 9 for sale.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:25 AM
On The Tree

Sorry, I forgot one more. The white 35th PE 427 car that was on ebay... so 10 total.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:24 PM
Staging Lane

Hey wake00 I just found Year One Blackbird #5 for sale in Hemmings Motor news and carsonline. I heard that the 35th PE 427 car sold. I am curious what Blackbirds you have found on craigslist
Old 08-08-2010, 11:51 AM
On The Tree

I've seen the following Black Birds for sale:
- The #3 car on ebay (my old car)
On craigslist:
- Car #24 in Gulfport, MS
- Car #2 Phase II Pewter
- 35th Anniv Black Bird #12
Old 08-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks, those are the same ones I know about. Did you check out the Year One Blackbird #5?

Quick Reply: SCAMS - GMMG Cars #66SS & Year One BB #4 (silver)