Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

Any Auto Berger Or Blackbirds?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 11:58 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Auto Berger Or Blackbirds?

I have never seen in person or pictures showing any of these cars with an auto tranni. Where any made with an auto?
Old 01-27-2005, 03:24 PM
Teching In

I believe that there are two ZL1s that are autos. If memory serves, Helen Gibb's car is an auto. There was also a NBM Phase III that was in GMMG's holding lot back in May during F Body Gathering 8.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Uneasy_Rider
I believe that there are two ZL1s that are autos. If memory serves, Helen Gibb's car is an auto. There was also a NBM Phase III that was in GMMG's holding lot back in May during F Body Gathering 8.
O.K. so I guess it might be so. I was beginning to think it was like the Z-06. Manual only.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Uneasy_Rider
Helen's car was converted to auto per her request. Never heard about a NBM phase III auto car.

To my knowledge, none of the Berger cars are auto tranns.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:04 AM
Teching In

Here's a link to Berger Chevy's site. They have a few Hot Rod Edition Camaros that are autos there.

http://www.bergerchevy.com/berger5/n...rder=yourprice
Old 01-29-2005, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes there are some auto Berger cars out there. Last year I trailered Sheri Berger's (Matt Berger's wife) car to the Grand Rapids Autorama show to be in our Western Michigan Camaro Club Display. (The club is sponsored by Berger Chevrolet btw) Her car is a 427 A4 2002 Hot Rod Magazine Convt. Camaro with LeMans Blue paint white top and white leather interior. Since it was the last one in the series (car #2002) Dennis Barker wanted it to be special, hence the auto and the 427 engine.

John Glister (also in our club) ownes the first Phase II 435 automatic car built by GMMG. It is a 2002 Hot Rod Camaro Painted Daytona Yellow with Yellow leather seats, Vette Brakes and 18" Crager wheels. He drove it on both the '03 and '04 Hot Rod Power Tours and has since sent it back to GMMG to get the Phase IIx 475hp package installed in it.

My father owns the 2002 Hot Rod Camaro #1977 which was origionaly built as a Phase I 360hp automatic car. But last spring (before the '04 Power Tour) he sent it down to GMMG to have it upgraded to a Phase IIx 475 hp high torque package with a Yank SS3600 torque converter.

There are some more out there of different Phase combinations but you get the picture. Origionally GMMG discouraged the automatic option with the higher output packages but as time went on they got better and better with the tuning and now can built up an auto that is as wild or wilder than their 6 spds. with great drivability.

Here are a few pics of dads car with more located in my sig link.

Pic of the automatic shifter.......

Last edited by SS LS1; 01-29-2005 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SS LS1
Yes there are some auto Berger cars out there.]
I disagree!

The original question was, "Was there any Berger or Blackbirds made with an auto"?

The cars you have pictured are the Hot Rod Magazine Camaros. Yes, they were sold through Berger, but that does not make them 'Berger edition' Camaros. They remain Hot Rod Magazine cars. Of these cars, 14 ARE auto tranns. My original answer remains the same...........................

Old 01-30-2005, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NC Guy
I disagree!

The original question was, "Was there any Berger or Blackbirds made with an auto"?

The cars you have pictured are the Hot Rod Magazine Camaros. Yes, they were sold through Berger, but that does not make them 'Berger edition' Camaros. They remain Hot Rod Magazine cars. Of these cars, 14 ARE auto tranns. My original answer remains the same...........................

Well then I Disagree too!

They are very much Berger Edition Camaros as the only place you could buy them from was through Berger Chevrolet. HOTROD contracted Berger to put the package together with GMMG hence no other dealer was involved with the project. If that doesn't make them a Berger Camaro then I don't know what does? J/K Just look at the Badging it says BY BERGER right on them, the seats, gauges, floormats, etc. That is a Berger car if there ever was one.

Now your Dale #38 is not what I would call a Berger car as Berger was not involved with the designing of them, nor were they the only dealership that sold the package........ unlike the HOTROD cars. See the difference?

Just like the Brickyard 475hp Phase IIx GMMG Automatic cars and the 2002 35th Anniversary GMMG cars some were sold through Berger but they are not considered a Berger car as other dealers offered the same packages.

And the origional question of the topic was "ANY" Auto Berger with the keyword being "ANY", not just a select group like the 100 Berger SS cars. Now if FIREHAWK#608 would have asked if there were any Berger SS cars or Blackbirds with autos then I would agree with you.

Seriously, I think you are reading too much into the question. No hard feelings though as people can get quite serious about car specifics as we are all passionate about the car hobby. Now go out and enjoy your Dale car!

Last edited by SS LS1; 01-30-2005 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:39 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=SS LS1]:

They are very much Berger Edition Camaros as the only place you could buy them from was through Berger Chevrolet. HOTROD contracted Berger to put the package together with GMMG hence no other dealer was involved with the project. If that doesn't make them a Berger Camaro then I don't know what does? J/K Just look at the Badging it says BY BERGER right on themQUOTE]

Friends of mine who live in Green Lake, MI recently bought a Suburban from Berger. It has the "By Berger" emblem on the back. Does this make it a 'By Berger' Edition truck? I think you are confused.

According to Matt M at GMMG :

2000 Berger SS cars: 31 built.
2001 Berger SS cars: 28 built.
2002 Berger SS cars: 45 built.
All are considered Berger SS Camaros and numbered accordingly.Sold through Berger Chevrolet.

2002 Hot Rod Magazine Camaros

36 have been built so far.
All are considered Hot Rod Mag Camaros and numbered accordingly. Sold through Berger Chevrolet.

According to Matt again:

The Hot Rod cars are seperate and are not part of the Berger cars

You have a good grasp on the after market cars only thru your Dad. Step up and get a car you can call your own!
Old 01-31-2005, 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As for the Berger cars:

2000-2002 Berger Camaro SS's ALL are manual, auto was not available.

2002 Hot Rod Camaros, sold by Berger Chevy, autos and manuals were avialable.

2002 ZL-1 Camaros, sold by Berger Chevy, autos and manuals were available
Old 01-31-2005, 04:59 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

I was talking about the "actual Berger or Blackbirds." Based on the word "any" we got the whole picture about the differences of the Berger cars. I am glad we got the info, but I feel bad about the argument. We are all here for the common good of the F-body... can't we all just get along? Seriously, I hope this bad blood can be fixed.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
I have never seen in person or pictures showing any of these cars with an auto tranni. Where any made with an auto?

I have to side with NC Guy too.

I "think" the original intent of the question was whether there were any Berger SS cars built with an Automatic transmission.

The answer would be no.

My ZL1 was purchased from Berger and has a "by Berger" on the back of it to. Does that mean it is specifically a Berger car. NO it does not as they were sold by another dozen or so dealers nationwide. I chose to order my car through Berger because of their heritage of modifying and selling muscle cars. I am proud that it has a "by Berger" on the tail panel of it ! ! !

Also..............to my knowledge...........there are two '02 ZL1's with automatic transmissions and they were retrofitted after they were produced. Helen Gibb's and Bill Porterfield's.

Yes...........the Hot Rod Magazine cars are a very special car and only available through Berger. I certainly DO NOT wish to take anything away from them. In fact I wish I had the funds available to own one of them as well as an Intimidator, a Berger SS and a Tom Henry SS.

Also, as I remember, Gib & Tammy Louden have a SS Intimidator that they purchased from Berger Chevrolet and it then would have a "by Berger" on the tail panel too. Does this make it a Berger car? Again, no............it was however sold by Berger and indeed a very special car ! ! ! !
Old 02-07-2005, 04:06 PM
Launching!

Couldn't have said it better myself J.D.

I have only one small comment about your last paragraph..........

Its entirely possible that Gib & Tammy bought a 'used' (key word 'used') Intimidator from Berger and then Berger slapped a 'By Berger' emblem on the back. The only place for a person to buy a 'never titled' Intimidator was from Dale Earnhardt Chevrolet (DEC) in Newton, N. Carolina. They were never offered 'new' thru any other dealership. Thats' the way Dale wanted it and thats the way it came down. After all, where else would you expect to buy a Dale Earnhardt Intimidator SS other then from Dale Earnhardt Chevrolet?

Enjoy that ZL-1

Craig in NC.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i shudder at the though of a auto in any of these cars
Old 02-08-2005, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NC Guy
Couldn't have said it better myself J.D.

I have only one small comment about your last paragraph..........

Its entirely possible that Gib & Tammy bought a 'used' (key word 'used') Intimidator from Berger and then Berger slapped a 'By Berger' emblem on the back. The only place for a person to buy a 'never titled' Intimidator was from Dale Earnhardt Chevrolet (DEC) in Newton, N. Carolina. They were never offered 'new' thru any other dealership. Thats' the way Dale wanted it and thats the way it came down. After all, where else would you expect to buy a Dale Earnhardt Intimidator SS other then from Dale Earnhardt Chevrolet?

Enjoy that ZL-1

Craig in NC.

Craig,

I have to admit that I didn't know they were only available through Dale Earnhardt Chevrolet however, that certainly makes sense.

I certainly believe that Gib & Tammy Loudon purchased their Intimidator SS new so I am guessing that it was purchased from Dale Earnhardt Chevrolet and it may not have a "by Berger" emblem on the back of it. I was just trying to make a point.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02_Phase2_ZL1
I was just trying to make a point.
And your point was well made J.D.

I hope this thread helps to clear up some of the confusion surrounding the GMMG cars.

BTW...check your email.

Craig
Old 02-14-2005, 03:15 AM
Staging Lane

Default Blackbirds

They were all built with 6 speed manual trannys.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i love berger ss cars with all my little itty bitty heart....!!! all owners of berger ss cars are very lucky to own them

Last edited by steveo346; 09-20-2005 at 01:19 AM.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:44 AM
TECH Resident

If a car wasn't a WS6 from the factory and It's never had a gmmg package on it, can it be put on it?
Old 09-25-2005, 02:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FelixIlka
If a car wasn't a WS6 from the factory and It's never had a gmmg package on it, can it be put on it?
NOPE...............GMMG only modified the Firebirds for Carl Black Pontiac and named them Blackbirds.

GMMG will not modify any cars that it has not built. I.E., Blackbirds, Tom Henry SS's, Dale Earnhardt Intimidator SS's, Berger SS's, Hot Rod Magazine Camaros, ZL1's, Berger/Dick Harrell Supercars, etc.

You can order the GMMG chambered exhaust from them and add that to your Firebird but you could not send it to them to be modified.

Quick Reply: Any Auto Berger Or Blackbirds?