Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

trans am sound system

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans am sound system

alright so heres the deal... i have a 2000 pontiac trans am w/ t-tops

but i want more bass, so i need some subs in the back... but i dont want to eliminate the t-top storage

whats the best way to fit a 12 or two in there? (dont really care for 10s, want a deeper hit than they can do)

also if anyone knows the best place to order sound systems from {head unit, speakers (have the monsoon system now), and subs}
Old 11-09-2008, 05:20 PM

10's work better than 12's because of the small space - unless you can find a 12 that works well in a TINY box. a 10 fits well in the little "pocket" on the driver's side. jl makes a stealthbox that'll just drop right in there. if you don't mind losing your spare tire and want to do a little custom work, you can put another 10 across the car on the passenger's side.

now if you want to lose your t-top storage, lots of other options open up....
Old 11-09-2008, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

There are tons of threads on this and a search would definitely give you all of your options..

I'll ***** out my setup regardless..

The wires could have been hidden and I could have made an edge and them come out on the bottom of the box, but it was the first and only box that I've made so I was too excited to engineer something that advanced. I cold still add a flap of carpet or something, they just don't bother me really because you don't see them when the trunks shut.

Oh yea, the whole thing is bolted down by using the cargo hook holes.. It's solid as a tank, puts weight over the rear wheels, and won't go anywhere in case of an accident, etc..
Old 11-09-2008, 07:00 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 262 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by zeez
...also if anyone knows the best place to order sound systems from {head unit, speakers (have the monsoon system now), and subs}
The best place to get equipment is Kee Audio (a sponsor here).

Any non-sponsor links posted will be deleted.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:27 PM
Launching!

This was in my camaro, same setup for TA's tho. Subthump 2 12's t-top box. Dont have any pics with the t-tops in there but I assure you they fit nice and snug. The box was very well made and I had no fitment issues. Would definately recommend it.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subthump ttop box is the way to go
Old 11-10-2008, 06:31 PM
TECH Regular

you could say f*ck it and just leave the tops at home or lay them in the back seat.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Launching!

or you could just a box that will accomodate t-top storage and you wont have to lay them in the back seat. I hate having to have the tops in the back seat now and cant wait until i rip all the crap out of my hatch and redo it and regain my t-top storage.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:46 PM
11 Second Club

not best pic...but u get idea...only thing is you got to put trunk cover in front of t tops if you not have 12 disk...but in my case i got the 12 so it goes in backseat or stays at home.

i have had dhd not that great...got infinity and love them! Amp is kenwood. Also has a battery saver thing(not sure what its called- and boost control.

Last edited by gnictry; 11-11-2008 at 01:48 PM. Reason: brand info
Old 11-11-2008, 03:49 PM
Launching!

you could throw a box on top of the hump and keep the ttop storage as well, i just think the subthump box looks much cleaner.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:07 AM
Staging Lane

have you thought about taking out your backseat? options are endless from there.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:56 AM
TECH Regular

+1 for endless options!!
Old 11-14-2008, 10:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you ever heard a GOOD 10" sub in a f-body set-up in a properly built box?? I personally couldn't imagine goin any bigger. I think one good 10 is plenty for these cars if done right. Mine is damn loud & I used to compete in SPL events with my old car.

With these cars like others bigger is not always better. You go too big & constantly beat on it & your gonna develope alot of rattles. Then before you know it your car sounds like a 80's model caprice in the hood about to fall apart, LOL.

You can do one 10" in a driverside stealth box ported or not & get great results. Heck even take out your spare if your not worried about flats & put in a custom passanger stealth box & run two 10's that way. Throw in a little sound deadening material & it'll be loud.

I get absolutely no rattles in my set-up & if the windows are rolled up with the doors closed you can barely hear it. But once you open the door it sounds like a concert bass & all. I have actually had people ask what I have done & when telling them only a single 10" sub they tell me I'm lying & want to see proof. They say it just has to be a 12 at least.

The hatch area & glass angle in these cars is great for systems even if you stay a little smaller. Plus if you stay with 10's you can keep the weight added minimal if that matters to you at all.

Quick Reply: trans am sound system