Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Justice served!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 12:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Justice served!

Hey guys, so some of you have read the I've been robbed thread and I will give you an update on that. The insurance company called back a couple days ago and said that they will NOT cover the merchandise that got stolen so I was like I need to take this into my own hands because the cops aren't going to do anything about it. So I went to the pawn shop down the road and low and behold my mp3 player sits with the cords. I turned it on and it had my band from high school on it so I knew it was mine. I got the serial numbers and matched them and got back my mp3 player from the pawn shop. I also got the kids name who stole it, because you need to give an id to sell to them, what a stupid criminal and the cops came and gathered all the information and have a warrant out for his arrest, so I should be getting my ipod and gps back soon. Apparently this kid has been in trouble with the law before for stealing. Why can't cops do this in the first place? Our tax dollars at work I tell ya. I DID THE INVESTIGATION!!!!!
Old 11-26-2008, 12:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, good job dude.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:04 AM
TECH Resident

I feel your pain, really I do.

but look at it this way....

They pay a patrol car, a pair a cops to go down to investigate the theft....... 35$/hr each at X amount of hours............. for what a 150$ mp3 player....... maybe 300$ worth of equipment. Think of how many stolen cars go without further investigation than the report itself, or until it is found. It sucks I know, but there is no economical way for law enforcement to go around searching for stolen merchandise.

Just be glad you are as smart as you were and found your equipment before it was sold. Congratulations on the PI work, now this guy is screwed if he has a run in with the law tomorrow or 3 years from now.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VeitSSki8701
Hey guys, so some of you have read the I've been robbed thread and I will give you an update on that. The insurance company called back a couple days ago and said that they will NOT cover the merchandise that got stolen so I was like I need to take this into my own hands because the cops aren't going to do anything about it. So I went to the pawn shop down the road and low and behold my mp3 player sits with the cords. I turned it on and it had my band from high school on it so I knew it was mine. I got the serial numbers and matched them and got back my mp3 player from the pawn shop. I also got the kids name who stole it, because you need to give an id to sell to them, what a stupid criminal and the cops came and gathered all the information and have a warrant out for his arrest, so I should be getting my ipod and gps back soon. Apparently this kid has been in trouble with the law before for stealing. Why can't cops do this in the first place? Our tax dollars at work I tell ya. I DID THE INVESTIGATION!!!!!
It all depends on the size of the agency, the dept i work for has a pawn shop detail where they go around checking pawn shops for stolen goods and try to get an investigation done that way. If you have a good detective they might be able to do the follow up but you have to realize that most detectives have a boat load of cases so sometimes it takes a while to get to a simple burglar from vehicle.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't be so quick to judge the police. You must understand that they really have more workload than they can handle. Because of which, they must "triage" all the crime they investigate and ones in which there is no "eminent danger" to public safety tend to get put on the back burner.

Glad to hear you got some of your stuff back. I'm sure the police appreciate what you have done so far. You gave them an easy arrest. Most officers I know love it when things work out a little easier for them.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

plus they wouldnt have known it was yours, or your band. not for sure like you would anyways.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:09 AM
12 Second Club

35$ an hour? Wow, the cops where you live must be making some serious change. Annual starting salary out here is under 23k a year.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

what a stupid criminal and the cops came and gathered all the information and have a warrant out for his arrest,
Apparently this kid has been in trouble with the law before for stealing. Why can't cops do this in the first place?
It sounds like to me the cops did do their job.

1. Police responded to your follow up, gathered all the information and will soon have your property back into your hands, and issued the warrant.

2. If its known that this kid has been in trouble with the law before (like you stated), then the cops previously had also done their job (in the first place).

I DID THE INVESTIGATION!!!!!
The state employs investigators do the investigations, not the police officers.

Congrats, I'm glad it all worked out!!
Old 11-26-2008, 11:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Dan Stewart
Don't be so quick to judge the police. You must understand that they really have more workload than they can handle. Because of which, they must "triage" all the crime they investigate and ones in which there is no "eminent danger" to public safety tend to get put on the back burner.

Glad to hear you got some of your stuff back. I'm sure the police appreciate what you have done so far. You gave them an easy arrest. Most officers I know love it when things work out a little easier for them.
im not knocking on cops or anything because i would love to be one myself. but what you say does make sense.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by reocamaro
35$ an hour? Wow, the cops where you live must be making some serious change. Annual starting salary out here is under 23k a year.
Im going to be pulling in around 85k this year without a whole lot of OT, when i started 6 years ago i started out at 52k. Anaheim PD starts out at 108k a year.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good investigative skills! I'm a bit shocked that your insurance company would cover the loss. I mean...your stuff was stolen out of your car...that's what you pay insurance for.

Anyway, good job!
Old 11-27-2008, 11:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by transambandit
Im going to be pulling in around 85k this year without a whole lot of OT, when i started 6 years ago i started out at 52k. Anaheim PD starts out at 108k a year.
What?!

I've actually been in the process of applying to federal agencies and local PDs (I'm currently with NCIS) and I have yet to see any info showing a starting salary over $48,000 for PDs. Please link me to a state/city website showing that salary for starting cops.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bones87
What?!

I've actually been in the process of applying to federal agencies and local PDs (I'm currently with NCIS) and I have yet to see any info showing a starting salary over $48,000 for PDs. Please link me to a state/city website showing that salary for starting cops.
http://joinlapd.com/salary.html

56k to start
Old 11-28-2008, 12:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by transambandit
well compare the cost of living in LA to say, Raliegh NC... pay is different because the cost of living is higher.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pretyflywiteguy
well compare the cost of living in LA to say, Raliegh NC... pay is different because the cost of living is higher.
I manage to have a house, 3 cars and 2 kids without too much trouble, and right now is the time to move out here, you can get a house f-ing cheap.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good job man. The cops will says they don't get paid enough to track little things like that. Only big stuff.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:55 PM
TECH Addict

As far as the insurance thing goes, for them to cover ANYTHING aftermarket in your car, you have to let them know you have it, provide them with serial numbers and pay them whatever extra they want to charge you to insure it. Insurance doesn't automatically cover anything extra in your car.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:15 PM
TECH Addict

wow buddy. NICE JOB!
Old 11-29-2008, 07:20 PM
TECH Addict

wow buddy. NICE JOB!
Old 11-30-2008, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, that's why I took pictures of all my aftermarket stuff and had them accounted for with my insurance company. As long as it was somehow bolted in, it would be covered. Why wouldn't you do this? Anyways...good job Veit!