Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Looking for a receiver that does not stick out from the dash

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a receiver that does not stick out from the dash

I have a 99Z28 with the monsoon system. I am in the process of planning a new system. I was looking at Crutchfield and noticed that all but 2 headunits that fit my car are modified fit. It says that the new units will stick out of the dash 1/2 inch. To me that is not good news. I plan to enter my car in shows and I can not have a radio sticking out like that.

I manged to find two Pioneer units that are direct fit but they look to be old units and do not have touch screens or DVD.

I was searching on here and found some pics and it looks like you guys have flush fit headunits. How did you go about doing this?

Any help would be great.

thanks!
Old 02-28-2009, 04:23 PM
TECH Regular

check out the humount. a lot of the guys on here that upgrade their stereos use them. or you can use the metra kit specifically for camaro's. not a bad kit just a little plain.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:31 PM
TECH Addict

^Yup
Old 02-28-2009, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the issue is there is a plastic tab in the back of the dash the stock radio slides into, u need to cut this tap in order for 90% of aftermarket radios to fit flush in the dash. Ppl cut them every day, c5 vettes are the same way, u can still go back to stock no issue if need be.

Either do a humount custom dash piece of a std metra dash kit
Old 03-01-2009, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the help everyone. I like the Humount kit a lot.

When shopping for a new receiver what depth is ok to use with the Humount kit? Or does the use of this kit make the depth un-important if you cut the plastic tab behind the radio.

It is just stange that Crutchfield insisted that the radio will stick out 1/2 inch with any kit they have.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

Crutchfield insists that because they didn't think to modify the car by cutting off the tab. I did the Clarion 785USB. You can change the color of the display to match your dash color PERFECTLY. You can adjust tint and hue, not just select a standard color. It looks absolutely factory, and is perfectly flush with the dash, using the HU mount! I added a steering wheel control module, as to retain my factory steering wheel radio controls.HU mounts kits are metal faced, not cheesy plastic.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:41 PM
TECH Regular

ANY single DIN size deck will work. As far as the little tab behind in the radio opening, the composite plastic you can break off with a set of well scared hands...or pliers. There should be a metal piece behind that which you can simply bend back and out of the way.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GTP LS1
Thanks for the help everyone. I like the Humount kit a lot.

When shopping for a new receiver what depth is ok to use with the Humount kit? Or does the use of this kit make the depth un-important if you cut the plastic tab behind the radio.

It is just stange that Crutchfield insisted that the radio will stick out 1/2 inch with any kit they have.
If you are going to go with an Alpine deck and the Humount use RCA cables with a 90 degree end or 90 deg adapters if you use straight cables. Alpines have their RCA inputs on the left hand side (If looking at the front of the deck) and there is not enough room for straight ones to fit. I rammed mine in there and ended up wrecking the cables. Not sure about Pioneer. I think their imputs are more towards the right. There seems to be more room in the dash on that side so adapters might not be nessesary.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:56 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1Zedder
If you are going to go with an Alpine deck and the Humount use RCA cables with a 90 degree end or 90 deg adapters if you use straight cables. Alpines have their RCA inputs on the left hand side (If looking at the front of the deck) and there is not enough room for straight ones to fit. I rammed mine in there and ended up wrecking the cables. Not sure about Pioneer. I think their imputs are more towards the right. There seems to be more room in the dash on that side so adapters might not be nessesary.
I cut out the plastic tab and still cant get it to fit because of the defroster vent. I was thinking of going with the 90' adapters but you would only be about to put 5 of the 6 on because on a 6 pre out radio the inside middle pre out is burried. How did you overcome this?