Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

why wont my stero power off?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why wont my stero power off?

well i first noticed the problem this weekend and last night when my battery was dead!!...

once i shut off the engine and open the door, the stereo stays on where it would normally shut off! i manually powered it off but the time remained on the screen after i closed the door...it powered off then back on after a while and flickered off/on. I did notice the "security" light come on a couple times when the time would flicker on/off...this morning it was off and the battery was fine...got to work and the stereo stayed on!

anyone know what could be wrong? any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 03-17-2009, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check that all door and hatch close switches are properly operating. I would start with the drivers door. it sees the most activity and can fail the quickest in a way that tells the BCM the door is closed regardless of real position.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

just checked and it all looks fine...i did notice that the "security" light came one as soon as i'd open a door...think the factory alarm is causing this issue? how do i arm/dis-arm it maually? i remember hearing that it can be done w/the lock buttons inside...but dont know the sequence!

sucks that i dont have a workin key fob right now...gonna go buy a battery for it today!!
Old 03-18-2009, 09:26 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The security light has nothing at all to do with the alarm system (as illogical as that seems). It is there to warn you when there's a problem with the VATS system - resistor pellet in your ignition key.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Security light will normally come on when you open the door similar to a Door Ajar indication I believe. It will also light the next time you use the remote to unlock the car if there was a security violation when and did not stop the alarm with the remote. It will not light if there was a violation that you knew about by stopping the alarm tone with the remote. Additionally if you open the door by unlocking it manually with the alarm engaged the light will also turn on.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:10 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Sorry, no. The security light in the instrument cluster (as opposed to the red LED on top of the dash) has nothing to do with the alarm system, door ajar indicator, manual door unlocking, or any other situation other than the VATS system. Its one and only function is to indicate when there is a problem with the ignition key. The light will go on solid if the BCM detects the wrong resistance from the ignition key pellet (could also be caused by water or dirt). The light will flash if it detects an open circuit from using an ignition key with a damaged or missing resistor pellet. Other than that, the light will only go on for a few seconds during the bulb test when the car is started.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ahh they gave you LS1's an actual security light? Mine is just that little red led.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:53 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yup, it's a yellow idiot light that actually says "Security" on the right side of the instrument cluster. And with the numerous VATS problems people seem to have, it's one really annoying light to see.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice. They should have just hooked it to the normal Idiot Light SES! Why create a special light that doesn't even do much of anything useful for what it SHOULD?
Old 03-18-2009, 11:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Nova5
Ahh they gave you LS1's an actual security light? Mine is just that little red led.
I think you misunderstood. ALL 4th gen F-bodies have a "Security" light. He's not talking about the alarm.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't recall one in the cluster, I'll look next time i start her up. Maybe mines been burned out since i owned it.