Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Wiring to the trunk for AMPS

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 01:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Wiring to the trunk for AMPS

Well I asked for peoples opinions of the best way to route the 0 ga wire inside or out. The majority said inside behind the computer. I guess I'm thick headed but didn't like the idea of routing that thick cable behind the PCM and down the carpet.
So I ran it down and through the middle of my welded in Sub frame connectors. I found this totally awesome spot to drill and come up in to the car. The wire is tucked up and is never the lowest item. In fact I really only have about 3 total feet exposed. I also have it tucked behind factory heat shields and covered it with heat reflecting tape and a fire blanket material near the exhaust. Take a look.
Attached Thumbnails Wiring to the trunk for AMPS-hot-breaker.jpg   Wiring to the trunk for AMPS-route1.jpg   Wiring to the trunk for AMPS-route2.jpg   Wiring to the trunk for AMPS-route3.jpg   Wiring to the trunk for AMPS-route4.jpg  

Wiring to the trunk for AMPS-route-6.jpg   Wiring to the trunk for AMPS-route7.jpg   Wiring to the trunk for AMPS-route-8-entering-car.jpg   Wiring to the trunk for AMPS-route-9-car.jpg   Wiring to the trunk for AMPS-stuffing.jpg  

Old 05-26-2009, 01:09 AM
TECH Regular

Default Amp wiring Continues

I also use this nice water tight pass through for getting it in the car. I also have a picture of the fire shielding layers.
Ed
Attached Thumbnails Wiring to the trunk for AMPS-stuffing.jpg   Wiring to the trunk for AMPS-wire-plastic-cover-heat-shield.jpg   Wiring to the trunk for AMPS-qa-instector-shows-up.jpg   Wiring to the trunk for AMPS-inside1.jpg  
Old 05-26-2009, 08:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good work. thinking outside the box. I like that lol. and using the cgb you never have to worry about water getting in .
Old 05-26-2009, 02:42 PM
Staging Lane

nice dude. i ran 4 gauge under the kick plastic and its making it bulge out. i might run the this route. good work man
Old 05-26-2009, 09:04 PM
Launching!

i have 2 4 gauge wires running from the battery, through the hole behind the PCM, and under the carpet along the door. cant even tell its there, and nothing is exposed.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

yeah, now try running one 0ga. It like a fire hose.
Ed
Old 06-22-2009, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

I used 0 guage flatwire by Lightning Audio. Works great!!!!
Old 06-23-2009, 10:17 PM
Mat
Launching!

I was doing this today with a single 4 gauge. I ended up routing it down behind the PCM through the grommet in the firewall. Should work out well, but I was sooo close to routing it ouside the car this way. Nice job.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i ran mine outside the car, but its actually a little different from the way you had it, ill see if i can take pics tommrow before work
Old 06-25-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as promised, here is my way to wire to the trunk:

Old 06-27-2009, 11:33 PM
TECH Regular

Default Concerned

I would not recommend running you hot power lead like that to the rear of the car.
1. You go through your suspension. Every time you go over bump you moving against your wire.
2. The insulation on that wire is really not designed for friction and you have lots of it exposed.
3. It hangs down really exposed in a lot of places and road debris could get hooked up on it.

I will post some more photos of how I ran mine (very little wire exposed on the bottom of the car.)

P/S With those solid lower control arm bushing I would strongly recommend you put some sub-frame connectors on.

Ed

This where it begins.

Heres where it comes down behind the A/C evaporator, its behind the heat shield and wrapped in poly tubing covered with Reflective heat tape inside those fire shield tubes then tucked behind the factory heat shield!

Heres where finally gets under the car only to duck inside my sub frame connector.

This is exiting the sub frame connectors and going into the car.

Picture of the watertight coupling installed, the cool/lucky thing is the body has a natural 45 degree angle into the car there.

Inside where it comes out.

the routing tucked out of the way.