Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

LED Mirror Signals

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 10:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LED Mirror Signals

Well, I saw the thread(s?) on the forum and I thought I'd do it too. Not too much to say really, but I've got some pictures. I designed the actual LED Turn Signal Module, it's not eBay junk.

The modules I built.

Mirror backs all drilled, cleaned, and 3M adhesive applied. Ready for mirrors and LED Module.

Mirror in car, no flash. The light leakage would have been easy to fix, had I realized it was going to be a problem. At this point tho I don't wanna rip the mirrors off the backing again...this is fresh adhesive now, and I had a hard enough time the first time.

Mirror in car, with flash (duh)

LEDs off (to show you can't see them)

From the rear.

Video Here

If anyone wants I could post more pictures of actually installing the LEDs, I know I was kinda going in blind. I don't think anyone posted any such pics on the forum.

Last edited by tecmec; 06-15-2009 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Added video
Old 06-16-2009, 03:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That looks really good. I've been thinking about doing this myself. Do you have a write up with pictures? I'd like to see them
Old 06-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Staging Lane

What did you do to get the actual mirror glass off the black backing? I just finished my LED mirrors and I am not happy with them. They flash and work properly just to dim I am not sure if I wired it correctly. I used 15k mcd led's, 5mm size. That module you made looks great and so does the finished product.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:42 PM
Staging Lane

A write up? No so much. It's pretty straightforward though. On my car the drivers side mirror was held on the backing using three dabs of a silicon-type adhesive. That one was relatively easy to remove. The passenger side though was held in with a big piece of double sided tape....basically the whole rear half of the mirror. It was ridiculously difficult to remove (because I was afraid of breaking the glass). I sliced my finger pretty good sliding it along the edge of one of the mirrors when trying to pull it off....so don't do that....lol.

Basically, if I were to do it again there are only two things I would change. First, I would have put some double sided tape around the holes I drilled for the LEDs (I woulda applied the tape, then drilled the holes though the plastic and the tape so that they were perfect). This would be to address the light leakage issue (noticeable at night or in the third picture).

Second, I would have aligned the LEDs a bit different on the right mirror (and the left too, to match). Reason being that one of the LEDs is slightly behind the "Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear" text. This text is just a lack of mirror backing (just transparent glass), so the light shines though the last word of the text a little brighter... this is not really too noticeable. But in the future...

I'm not at home right now, so I can't really post any pictures of the build process.

Oh yeah, wiring...pretty straightforward. There are two wires that come out of the steering column under the dash. Light blue for left, dark blue for right, they are both positive. Running the wires is easy, just follow the wires for the power mirrors. You have to take the door trim off though.

To get the glass off I just kinda pulled at the black backing (cause it bends a bit). For the passenger side though I ended up sliding some thin-ish plastic (I think it was packaging for something) behind the glass and working it around breaking the bond.

The LEDs I used are actually 5k MCD. It's a common misconception that higher MCD means more light. MCD is just intensity per area. The really high MCD LEDs have very small viewing angles, 5 degrees or less. The LEDs I got have a wider viewing angle (23 degrees) and therefore actually put out more lumens, and therefore more light.

The LEDs themselves are running perfectly at spec so as to obtain high lifetime and high brightness. They are not simply wired to the car using resistors (because the positive voltage in the car varies a lot), they are powered thorough a voltage regulator. This means the LEDs light the same no matter if the alternator is spinning and putting out 14 volts, or the battery is dead and barely putting out 8.

Sounds like I just went into infomercial mode...so what the hell, might as well carry on. I do have some extra modules kicking around, enough for 3 or 4 cars. If people wanted I could sell them (can I say that?). I'd have to figure out my cost per unit to know what I'd have to charge. What are people willing to pay? (this would be a very limited run, lol....although I cant see demand being that high)
Old 06-16-2009, 02:07 PM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info I might have to purchase some more LED's because I did not know about the brightness and the viewing angles. I sent you a pm, if you get a price for a set ,pm me back. Thanks!!
Old 06-16-2009, 04:35 PM
Staging Lane

If anyone is interested I can do $40 a pair assembled or $30 for a kit. Plus your choice of shipping.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:07 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Did you design, print, and etch the PCBs yourself?

Also, do you need to scratch the backing off of the mirror over the LEDs? If so, how did you handle that?
Old 06-17-2009, 10:39 AM
Staging Lane

I designed the PCBs and got a proper fab house to manufacture them. You can't have a silkscreen, soldermask, and proper plated holes if you fabricate yourself.

The LEDs will just shine through the mirror with no modification. Apparently some people grind the glass, but I can't see that ever looking good. I just got the brightest LEDs I could to make up for the loss through the glass. The LEDs I used are designed for use on outdoor signage and the like.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Im interested in a assembled pair... PM sent.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would also be interested in an assembled pair.....I'm not too wiring savvy so I might have a lot of questions lol
Old 06-19-2009, 07:37 PM
TECH Regular

Ditto! I'd like to see more on your assembled kits!
Old 06-20-2009, 07:09 PM
Staging Lane

Hey I would be interested in a kit.
I'm from weyburn, sask where in sask are you located?
Old 06-21-2009, 01:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'd be interested in the kit as well.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

Do the camaros have the same mirrors?
Old 06-24-2009, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hawk777th
Do the camaros have the same mirrors?
Different mirror housings, but I think the mirror itself is the same.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

Would like to know if they are the same those would be awsome on my som.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Bump. Still wondered if they are same mirror.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

I can't see any reason they would not work for the Camaro
Old 06-29-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

They will....I already said that the housing is different, as its pretty obvious, but the mirror is the same if I'm not mistaken. The bird mirros do have a blue tint to them though...
Old 06-30-2009, 01:55 PM
On The Tree

im interested

Quick Reply: LED Mirror Signals