Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Want to upgrade and tried searching.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to upgrade and tried searching.

My speakers have one foot in the grave. I have tried searching and haven't been able to find the information that I need.

I have been eye balling the premium replacement package from Kee Audio but I also want to add a 10" sub in the hatch on the drivers side.

I know to get the most out of the system I will need to upgrade the Head unit but I don't have the money to do it the way I want to right now, plus I like to keep the inside a factory looking as possible.

Question and point: How can I run an ungraded sub and speakers off of an upgraded amp and still run the factory head unit? Wiring does not intimidate me, I just need to know how to do it.

Just to be clear, I know to have the whole stereo at full potential I need a new after market head unit but I am stubborn and broke and would like to use the factory head unit.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

I bought a Sony head unit that has sub outs and puts out way more wattage than the monsoon for a tad over 40 dollars... It was cheap but it works until I can afford what I want. You might try getting something like that? Might make wiring everything up easier.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

dont buy a cheap HU, save for a good one IMO
Old 07-23-2009, 01:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

lol WTF... that doesnt answer his question at all..

I want the came thing, and i refuse to put in an aftermarket HU

Im not really sure, but i have researched it, and i believe the answer is a JL clean sweep.

Its not the cheapest option, but for me its worth it, cause, as i mentioned above, I refuse to put some Chinese POS in there.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:31 AM
Teching In

thiers a way I was going to do it. I went to a stereo store that installs them and they told me that they would have to run some addapters but it got really expensive to do.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:08 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The factory head unit is the part of the Monsoon system most responsible for bad sound. The speakers are cheap but they don't sound too bad until they die. The amp is somewhat underpowered but it does what it's supposed to for the factory setup.

That being said, the combination of upgraded speakers and a sub can sound pretty good until you can afford to upgrade the head unit. All you need is a line output converter (available for about $20 at any audio shop or even Wal-Mart) to convert the speaker level signal from the head unit into line level input to the amp for the sub. Get the signal for the LOC at the input side of the Monsoon amp and leave the other speakers connected to the factory wiring running off the Monsoon amp. Mount your sub in a decent stealth box (Kee Audio) and you're all set.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:15 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

If you want to keep it cheap and the stock monsoon amp still works, just replace the speakers with some quality units. From what I've seen Kee Audio has some nice options. The stock Monsoon amp isn't that bad. Many people have just replaced the speakers and noticed a nice improvement.

If your speakers weren't the problem, then the biggest improvement you'd see is the headunit. The stock headunit is a cheap regular Delco unit with a Monsoon decal added. Its the limiting factor of the stock system. Just changing the headunit on my car netted a noticeable improvement. There have been plenty of threads on just replacing the speakers or just replacing the headunit. If you are retaining the stock Monsoon amp, then its a simple install without any extra costs of rewiring or expensive adapters. To replace the headunit, all you need is a wire harness adapter and mount/bezel adapter to mount the headunit. Both of those are often included with the purchase of a headunit for free or cheap.

Don't let install places talk you into stuff you don't need.

If you replace the headunit and want to retain the steering wheel controls, you will need an adapter for about $50-$70 depending on which headunit you buy and where you buy the adapater.

Last edited by VIP1; 07-23-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My recommendation is to upgrade the speakers since they are already in need of replacement. Do this off the stock Monsoon system and see what you think. Generally most are quite satisfied with upgrading the speakers running off the stock system and adding a 10" sub in a stealth enclosure. The 10" sub will need an amplifier to run off of and this can added to the stock Monsoon very easily by using a line level adapter for your signal to the amp. MTX does have a powered version of the Bass Slammer stealth box for F-bodies but personally I would not recommend it as it is a very cheap sub and an underpowered amp. It would sound much better with seperate components.
If you feel more output is needed and you wanted to replace the Monsoon amp altogether, you can use a 5-channel amp to power your front speakers, sail speakers, and a 10" subwoofer very effectively from 1 amp. The amp would use a similar type of line level adapter just as you would for the sub amp so it can be used with your stock HU if desired. I have several 5-channel amps and use one myself in my 98 Trans Am. If your looking to run off of an aftermarket amp but don't want a huge system, a 5-channel is a great way to get that done. It is 2 amps in one which simplifies wiring and limits the amount of space that 2 seperate amps would take up. The speakers in my packages work with the stock system but will sound even better off of aftermarket power so no change would be needed to use an aftermarket amp in that repsect.
Hope this helps a bit!
Old 07-23-2009, 05:50 PM
On The Tree

Whitebird00, VIP1 and Kee Audio, I can't thank you enough. You hit the nail on the head.

I was thinking this setup:

Kee Audio premium replacement speaker package
Stealth enclosure for drivers side storage in the hatch
Maybe an Infinity sub
Maybe Infinity 5 Channel amp

It will all come from Kee Audio. I shopped and the prices can't be beat!!!

I looked on the Kee audio website and all I could find for a 5 channel amp was the Infinity Kappa and JBL.

Now I need to figure out a plan of attack to wire up the system.

Theory: Get my hands on a wiring diagram of the stock amp and install a line output converter/line level adapter for the front speakers, sails and a sub. Run those to the corresponding connections to the amp.

Allow the front mids and sails the be powered off of the new amp and allow the tweeters to continue to run from the stock HU. Use the final channel from the amp to power the Sub. Leave the hatch speakers power supply alone.

Does it sound right?

Last edited by FireChickenws6; 07-23-2009 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:34 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

We were suggesting that you get an amp for just the sub rather than rewiring a new multi-channel amp for all the speakers. You could then concentrate on getting the best you can afford now and worry about further upgrades later. The point is that changing the speakers and adding the sub will make a big difference. Replacing the factory amp won't gain you much at all in terms of sound quality - maybe more power but not quality.

The pinout daigram and listing for the Monsoon amp is in the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the forum.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:54 PM
Banned

I do have several more 5-channel amps. I am in the process of redoing the site and haven't gotten everything up that I wanted. If you give me a budget I can come up with something for you that meets your goals.
I agree though...most are quite satisfied with a speaker upgrade and adding a 10" sub to get the low end bass. IF you feel more is needed and want more power, then you go to the aftermarket amp to run everything.
I run a 5-channel myself and it is quite enough for me and most people who have heard my car, although I went nuts and put 2 12" CDT HD SQ-12 subs in. Way overkill but I can control my sub output from the HU and generally have it turned down significantly.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

Considering the car is 8 years old and it would be my luck that after I do the upgrade the factory amp craps the bed. So on that note I would like to replace it with a 5 channel and be done with it and not have to worry about it down the road.

I would like to keep it at not to much over a grand for speakers, sub, box, amp, amp install components and the LOCs. I have always had good luck with Infinity and I like the design of the Kappa amps and subs so I would like to go with something of that breed.

I am just shopping right now, trying to get a ball park of what this is going to cost me. I am getting ready to move to a new job and town so I want to pinch the pennies until I get relocated and settled.

I can't thank you enough for all of your help.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

+1 for a 5 channel amp.
I have the doors and hatch speakers on 4 channels and
the sails and a 10" sub paralleled on the 5th channel.
100x better than stock monsoon with upgraded speakers,
now I can hear the stereo over the exhaust.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by shoemike
+1 for a 5 channel amp.
I have the doors and hatch speakers on 4 channels and
the sails and a 10" sub paralleled on the 5th channel.
100x better than stock monsoon with upgraded speakers,
now I can hear the stereo over the exhaust.
+2 for a (5) channel amp.. I've got one pushing (4) Polk Audio 6.5's and (4) 10" Polk Subs in a subthump box.