Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Is my amp dead?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 11:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is my amp dead?

I just got in a brand new Visonik sub/amp combo (cheap i know i know) and tried installing it.. this was my first time ever installing an amp. I believe I did everything right, but the damn thing just won't turn on! Using a voltmeter, I'm getting the proper voltage from the power, ground, and remote wires, but when I hook them up to the terminals on the amp, the ground and power wires do not get any voltage. So this leads me to believe the amp itself is defective... any ideas?
Old 08-03-2009, 11:14 AM
Launching!

anybody?
Old 08-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

No expert but I don't think you should be getting voltage on your ground wire. What voltage is the ground reading?
Old 08-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Launching!

I'm getting the voltage by putting the negative terminal on the ground wire and positive on the power wire... isn't that the correct way to do it? Either way, all the readings were at least 12v, which is why I ran out of things to rule out and suspect the amp to be defective... all fuses are good too.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:31 PM
Launching!

just make sure the turn on wire is hooked up to the right wire behind the headunit, it can have all the voltage in the world, but if its not getting the signal to turn on, it wont.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Launching!

Yes it's hooked up to the right wire, kinda hard to miss when it's labeled right for you behind the headunit lol, thanks anyway.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

The amp turn on isnt a certain signal, it just needs to get power. It doesnt have to get it from the radio so its not the radio's signal. I assume you checked the fuse in the amp, because if its getting power thats the only fuse it could be. Does the amp have any power indicators like LEDs? Are they coming on?
Old 08-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Launching!

Fixed. Put in a new fuse in the power line even though the one I already used seemed to be okay... and took off the ground wire, scratched the paint of even deeper and attached it back on, bam, everything is okay. Now all I have to do is figure out a way to hide or organize these wires as neatly as possible.