Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Looking to upgrade my system on a budget - Input needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 09:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to upgrade my system on a budget - Input needed

Well I don't think my car is going to sell anytime soon so I might aswell make it nicer if im going to be driving it. I never intended to get into audio when I bought this car, but I am pretty tired of the system thats in the car now, it simply doesn't sound that good. For some reason the previous owner removed the factory Monsoon system and replaced it with a very cheap set-up, since then I have "upgraded" it a little by swapping the Dual headunit for a nice Pioneer unit, and swapped out the blown/old speakers for Eclipse and Pioneer speakers.

I am now looking to upgrade again, but this time to something GOOD. I want GOOD quality sound, not rattles and distorted music. I currently don't have component speakers, just regular 6.5'' speakers all around. I AM ON A BUDGET, I do not have tons to invest in a stereo system, I am just looking for a quality good sounding system. I am pretty good at finding deals so I just need a basic idea of some good set-ups some of you guys have, like types of speakers, amps, etc.

My ideal set-up would consist of quality speakers all around, subs right behind the back seat or a box on the side, I still want to be able to take my T-Tops on and off, good bass, good mids, good highs, I want it to be LOUD, but not an all bass loud, I want to hear the music and the beat.

Any input is appreciated, also if anyone has anything for sale, please let me know.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Regular

I always suggest Alpine type S for someone wanting a really good sound on a budget.
I run an Alpine 9886 headunit. If this is more than you want you are in good shape as long as you stay between the 9874 and the 9886 in product line. That is, of course, if you are not keeping your headunit.
Alpine type S speakers.
sps600c 6.5 components in front
sps600 6.5 coaxil in sails
sws1023 or swr1022 on bass
subthump box
mrpf300 on highs
mrpm500 on bass

Last edited by bmnicolosi; 08-08-2009 at 09:56 PM. Reason: missed word
Old 08-08-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

imo polks are some of the best bang for buck out there. i'd look into getting a 4 channel amp for them too to be loud with t-tops off. i just bought a jensen 4 channel for around $70 shipped. heard they are reliable and good for a budget, i'll let you know when installed.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:18 PM
TECH Regular

Nothing about jensen is reliable, sorry. We carried them where i used to work and i would equate their "reliablity" to a boomerrang. Out the door, and right back in dead.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 01 Trans-Am WS6
Well I don't think my car is going to sell anytime soon so I might aswell make it nicer if im going to be driving it. I never intended to get into audio when I bought this car, but I am pretty tired of the system thats in the car now, it simply doesn't sound that good. For some reason the previous owner removed the factory Monsoon system and replaced it with a very cheap set-up, since then I have "upgraded" it a little by swapping the Dual headunit for a nice Pioneer unit, and swapped out the blown/old speakers for Eclipse and Pioneer speakers.

I am now looking to upgrade again, but this time to something GOOD. I want GOOD quality sound, not rattles and distorted music. I currently don't have component speakers, just regular 6.5'' speakers all around. I AM ON A BUDGET, I do not have tons to invest in a stereo system, I am just looking for a quality good sounding system. I am pretty good at finding deals so I just need a basic idea of some good set-ups some of you guys have, like types of speakers, amps, etc.

My ideal set-up would consist of quality speakers all around, subs right behind the back seat or a box on the side, I still want to be able to take my T-Tops on and off, good bass, good mids, good highs, I want it to be LOUD, but not an all bass loud, I want to hear the music and the beat.

Any input is appreciated, also if anyone has anything for sale, please let me know.
how much bass do u want ?

if not too much get a 5 channel amp and save u space
Old 08-08-2009, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bmnicolosi
Nothing about jensen is reliable, sorry. We carried them where i used to work and i would equate their "reliablity" to a boomerrang. Out the door, and right back in dead.
amps? because i've found nothing but positive from amp owners online. their speakers sound like crap and their headunits have problems (especially the motorized) but the amps seemed fine.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bmnicolosi
I always suggest Alpine type S for someone wanting a really good sound on a budget.
I run an Alpine 9886 headunit. If this is more than you want you are in good shape as long as you stay between the 9874 and the 9886 in product line. That is, of course, if you are not keeping your headunit.
Alpine type S speakers.
sps600c 6.5 components in front
sps600 6.5 coaxil in sails
sws1023 or swr1022 on bass
subthump box
mrpf300 on highs
mrpm500 on bass
+1 but I 'd say just start with the speakers for now since you are on a budget.

You 'll notice the difference in sound. Then decide from there, if you really want a sub woofer .
Old 08-08-2009, 11:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Engine_HP
how much bass do u want ?

if not too much get a 5 channel amp and save u space
As much as possible...I used to have a pretty wicked system in my 3000GT that I got rid of. (2) 10'' Kicker Solo-Baric L7 subs in a custom ported box with a Kicker ZX1000.1 amp....it was LOUDDDDDDDDDDDD.

Im not looking for THAT much bass as I simply don't have the room (well I do I just want functioning T-Tops) so its not really possible without getting into all custom made stuff which = $$.