Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Got My Alpine Headunit Stolen On The Fourth Of Muthaf*ckin July How Patriotic Huh

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Got My Alpine Headunit Stolen On The Fourth Of Muthaf*ckin July How Patriotic Huh

Alpine CDA-9887 was stolen out of my 95 Camaro on the Fourth of July night/early morning of July Fifth. ($427 is what I paid)
My question is what can I do to reinforce my headunit in my 97 RS......a viper alarm is already in order. I'm thinking a German Shepard maybe. LOL
Old 07-06-2009, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

An old installer trick is to tape the unit to the DIN cage. Make sure you aren't covering any vent holes. It makes it harder to steal but in the end, a thief may get mad and break other stuff. I see it a lot.

Did you get lucky and end up with a thief who knew what they were doing or did they cut the harness and destroy the dash?
Old 07-06-2009, 02:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by flak_monkey
An old installer trick is to tape the unit to the DIN cage. Make sure you aren't covering any vent holes. It makes it harder to steal but in the end, a thief may get mad and break other stuff. I see it a lot.

Did you get lucky and end up with a thief who knew what they were doing or did they cut the harness and destroy the dash?
I just had the harness taped up cuz it was temporary. They broke the trim piece that goes around the mounting hole. I was lucky that the couldnt get my subs out cuz the hatch release doesnt work......thank you whoever hacked up the wiring in my car...it saved me a lot.
There was a newer impala (02 style) with a pair of subs and an amp in the back.....the car has an alarmed that was armed and they managed to get the subs and amp out without setting off the alarm.
Any other ideas except tape.....would siliconing the bracket to the mounting hole help any?
Old 07-06-2009, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 4THGENCAMAROFAN
I just had the harness taped up cuz it was temporary. They broke the trim piece that goes around the mounting hole. I was lucky that the couldnt get my subs out cuz the hatch release doesnt work......thank you whoever hacked up the wiring in my car...it saved me a lot.
There was a newer impala (02 style) with a pair of subs and an amp in the back.....the car has an alarmed that was armed and they managed to get the subs and amp out without setting off the alarm.
Any other ideas except tape.....would siliconing the bracket to the mounting hole help any?
I deal with stolen radios on a weekly basis. you really don't want to make it hard to steal. They will **** up the rest of your car. you could wire a relay to ground of the radio with a quick disconnect and hook it up to a siren so if they pull it out it will trip the siren. For added fun, put the siren right behind the radio.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by flak_monkey
I deal with stolen radios on a weekly basis. you really don't want to make it hard to steal. They will **** up the rest of your car. you could wire a relay to ground of the radio with a quick disconnect and hook it up to a siren so if they pull it out it will trip the siren. For added fun, put the siren right behind the radio.
Could I do this and wire it to the viper so that theres one siren blaring in their face and then lights flashing sirens going crazy and the whole nine yards?
Old 07-06-2009, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

Could I do this and wire it to the viper so that theres one siren blaring in their face and then lights flashing sirens going crazy and the whole nine yards?
Any installer worth their salt could diode isolate the wire to create a separate zone, and add a quick-disconnect relay trigger to the sub, amp, radio, whatever you wanted, add a second siren, etc.

Just have to tell them what you want. I do not recommend installing alarms and remote starts by yourself, however. Better have somebody do it.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could you do this with pepper spray and a solenoid maybe?????
Old 07-06-2009, 04:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Some 12 gauge slugs oughta do the trick
Old 07-07-2009, 01:50 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bottom line is if they want it they're going to get it. I agree with flak monkey in making it not so hard to get out because they just end up doing more damage to other stuff like the dash, wiring, etc. and in the end still get what they came for but end up doing even more damage to your car.
I hate to put it that way because I'd love to say tie a shot gun to the back of the radio so when they pull it out it pulls the trigger but in all reality if you have something a theif wants and you don't have 24/7 surveillance (and someone monitoring it), they're going to get it...it's just more about how much damage they cause to other components of the car in doing so.
I hate that for you man!!!!! Nothing I hate more then someone who steals from someone else who earned what they have!!!
Old 07-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Launching!

TTT!!! Need some more ideas or tricks that you guys have used.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did your stereo have a detachable face?
You could remove all your equipment when leaving the car.
At least they didn't steal the car.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just say get a train horn wired up to your alarm... My Camaro was broke into last year in a very crowded parking lot in the middle of the day at the college I go to. They pried in through the window, popped my hood, cut the wire to my fuse box so my alarm went off, and proceeded to steal $2500 worth of **** in 50 minutes. Got everything except my door speakers and my subs...

I'm now determined to get the loudest alarm possible.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

crime doesn't take holidays off and our stock alarms suck bigtime.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Old 07-12-2009, 06:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

95 Pound 11 month old American Pit Bull seems to do the trick for me....too bad I don't have a video of when he was lying down in the cab of my truck outside a gas station in town near clemson (there are a lot of thefts that go on near campus) anyways guy trys to hop in and steal my truck while I left it running. When capone woke up it wasn't pretty to say the least lol. I'm glad he woke up when the guy slammed the door jumping in.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:36 AM
Staging Lane

god bless the USA no heart in people anymore...
Old 07-13-2009, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my cousin had a steel bar put in in the back of the unit somehow to prevent just this
now gratned, his was stolen as well eventually.... but there was blood all over the car and skin left on the portions they had to break.... was kinda funny to see that they did all that and only got a lil 200$ head unit

and i totally agree, no cares about anything anymore it seems...
Old 07-13-2009, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

I really hate it for you man.

But at least this way you can ditch Alpine and get a quality radio!

haha, that sounds harsh but for real. I had an Alpine 9883 and all the guys at work trashed me for it. (I work at a car audio shop)

I finally gave in and got a Kenwood KDCX693 and it was 10 TIMES better. Sound quality was way better, 5 lines of text to scroll my ipod, a way better EQ.. on and on...

I didn't want to believe that Alpine was garbage, but after getting that new radio I had to give in.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

Oh, just to be clear, Alpines radios are trash.

But they make top of the line speakers and subs! Some of the best stuff we carry. The PDX amps they make are real good too.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:00 PM
Launching!

I hate to tell you but you probally wont get me away from alpine.......thats all ive ever bought and ive always been happy with it.