Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

will a tape player from a v6 camaro (same year as mine) work in my car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will a tape player from a v6 camaro (same year as mine) work in my car?

i have a 2000 and the v6 cassette player looks different for some reason than the ones in the ls1. this is what they look like...the pigtail is the same, but i don't know if the v6 one has different wires that go into the pigtail or anything. thanks for the help.

ls1:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-98...item2559f273e3

v6:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-01...fAudioQ5fVideo
Old 05-02-2010, 12:45 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

So, your deck looks like the second one? I thought they all looked like the first deck that you listed. According to the Monsoon FAQ, all of the units, even between tape decks and CD's, Firebirds and Camaros are all interchangeable-you should be able to put anything in there...

Last edited by myk; 05-02-2010 at 12:54 AM.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

well, i purchased the 2nd one. and yeah, it came out of a camaro, so presumably they made that version for the v6. i just want to make sure hooked up it will work properly.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:12 PM
12 Second Club

Yes, i had this actually when I got my car.. lol.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:57 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmm...looks like I might be wrong about all of the different HU's throughout the years and models being completely interchangeable. I was talking to a seller on Ebay and he's saying that, for example, a HU from a '98 F-bird receives a different connector than my '99 F-bird, for example. I'm assuming the same would hold true for differnt year Camaro's. Can anyone clarify this?
Old 05-03-2010, 08:41 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Objection your honor - asked and answered.

For the record... ALL fourth generation head units are interchangeable except for early Camaro Bose units. V8, V6, cassette, CD, Monsoon, non-Monsoon, Camaro, Firebird... it doesn't matter, all of them will work.

Now, there are differences between Camaro and Firebird such as face color, display illumination color, mounting tabs, and some features such as speed controlled volume in Camaros or the graphic equalizer in Firebirds. But they all use the same electrical connector (same as all GM 1.5 DIN standard head units since 1988) and where there are different features (such as steering wheel controls) the extra wire is positioned in the connector so as not to interfere with the standard functions.

And that eBay seller doesn't have a clue... he must be thinking about instrument clusters or something.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i actually have a firebird cd player in my camaro right now temporarily (doesn't even work right) but it does not mount up properly at all. definitely not a recommended swap unless it's just a temp fix. thanks for all the help as far as that tape player working with my setup. going back retro style with a tape player (for anyone that's wondering...car was broken into so i'm temporarily fixing it so i can have some type of stereo, and i have a cassette ipod adapter so that will be my source of tunes for a while).
Old 05-03-2010, 09:56 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by tuffluck
yeah i actually have a firebird cd player in my camaro right now temporarily (doesn't even work right) but it does not mount up properly at all. definitely not a recommended swap unless it's just a temp fix.
If the two decks are from the same generation then the mounting tabs can be swapped from the sides of the unit. That will give you the correct fit.