Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Where should I mount my amp?? Stealth setup

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 02:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Where should I mount my amp?? Stealth setup

Running a single 10 in a stealth box and am about to wire the amp but have no idea where i should mount it. I don't really want it visible is the floor of the trunk a bad idea ? Is there a good ground close to the floor ?
Old 05-21-2010, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a lot of people either buy or build their own amp rack that attaches to the back wall of the trunk. the t-tops are still usable.

remember that no matter what you consider stealth, two things are always true regardless:

1. people may break into your car to steal a $5 watch or a $100 cd player, and while in the car they will search it up and down for more valuables.
2. no matter where you put your amp all one has to do is follow speaker wires to find your amp, rendering a "stealth" setup pointless.

i had a *stealth* system and no faceplate on my cd player and my car was broken into because a used alternator was visible and that's what they wanted. when they got in the car they found the cd player, 2 amps, and 2 subs/boxes. you just have to realize anything in your car can trigger a burglar to get in no matter how unrelated it is to your sound system, otherwise you may as well lay your amps out on the dashboard, because they will be stolen if your car is penetrated no matter where they are.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:31 PM
TECH Resident

Not too concerned with an actual "complete" stealth setup I was just referring to the sub box I got. Just looking for a good spot to put it that's easy and close to a good ground. Is there a decent ground anywhere close to the spare tire?
Old 05-21-2010, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

i made my own ground on the piece of metal that the trunk connection is mounted to.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You could do a stealth setup for the class of it, not 'security'? I always thought it was better to hide away all the equipment, then to have it mounted in some showy setup, with logos plastered on every window, panel, and ounce of free space you can find

Originally Posted by tuffluck
a lot of people either buy or build their own amp rack that attaches to the back wall of the trunk. the t-tops are still usable.

remember that no matter what you consider stealth, two things are always true regardless:

1. people may break into your car to steal a $5 watch or a $100 cd player, and while in the car they will search it up and down for more valuables.
2. no matter where you put your amp all one has to do is follow speaker wires to find your amp, rendering a "stealth" setup pointless.

i had a *stealth* system and no faceplate on my cd player and my car was broken into because a used alternator was visible and that's what they wanted. when they got in the car they found the cd player, 2 amps, and 2 subs/boxes. you just have to realize anything in your car can trigger a burglar to get in no matter how unrelated it is to your sound system, otherwise you may as well lay your amps out on the dashboard, because they will be stolen if your car is penetrated no matter where they are.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Launching!

mount it in the spare tire area, use the big seat belt bolt for a ground
Old 05-22-2010, 01:16 PM
TECH Resident

I have it just sitting on the floor in the trunk. the ground is to the seat anchor for baby seats. Not sure if that is a good ground though. i did sand it to see metal and it is welded to the floor above the fuel tank. I am having other issues though.. see my other post..
Old 05-30-2010, 02:46 PM
Launching!

I just put mine on the flat spot above where the gas tank is. You can run all the wires under the plastic trim and then under your carpet. For the ground you just put a screw into the metal under the plastic trim on the side.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

http://www.banddirector.cz28.com/photo3.html
Old 06-05-2010, 04:07 AM
Launching!

i have my spare tired removed for my bottle i just used that whole where that plastic cover screws in to hold your jack etc..
Old 06-07-2010, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by PGUFF
mount it in the spare tire area, use the big seat belt bolt for a ground
This is where I have mine mounted and it's completely invisible and you have a decent amount of room to work with if you want to build a custom rack or holder for it.