Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Speakers in Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 02:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Speakers in Camaro

Ok. So I have replaced all my speakers with new alpines, and also put in a JL audio W3 in a stealth box. But when I replaced my middle speakers, they didnt work and the guy from the local audio store told me I had to splice the wires from my rear speakers. So i did and they work. But i realize now that my front door speakers barely even play. They are really quiet. Does anybody else have these problems? What should I do?
Old 05-30-2010, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

What amp did you use for the Alpine (stock)? Also what speakers you have for the doors? Most people use component speakers in the doors.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:34 PM
Launching!

Well i dont have an amp for them. right now I am running alpine type s 6.5 in the front and alpine type r 6.5 in the middle. My i had some type r 6x9s in the back but i had most of my stereo stolen about a year back. For a while I had nothing in the back but then I put in some old 4" pioneers that i found laying around. Putting those in didnt make any difference though.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:48 PM
Launching!

The guy at the stereo store that told me i had to run the mid speakers through the rear wires also owned a camaro and said he had the same problem. Did anyone else have trouble with this?
Old 06-04-2010, 07:43 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

I recommend you read the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the forum. It explains how the Monsoon amp sends only low-pass filtered signal to the sail panel subs so it isn't suitable for replacement full-range speakers. The hatch area speakers are full-range so pulling the wires forward to the sail panels gives you the right type of signal. However, you would be far better off putting in the correct types of speakers in each location rather than moving things around and giving up channels of amplifier output.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lsn to him ^ the FAQ is perfectly perfect lol
Old 06-09-2010, 06:58 PM
Launching!

Wow. I read the sticky (which i should have done first) and there i lots of great info in there. I honestly didnt even know the amp was back there! So it makes sense that my door speakers arent very loud because i have regular coax speakers in there and I dont even remember how I wired them.
Because I spliced the rear wires and ran them to the sail speakers, does that mean that one channel of the amp is pushing both speakers? And does that mean I am not utilizing the power that was originally ran to the sail speakers?

I wish i would have researched all this years ago when I replaced all the speakers.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:23 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Assuming you ran the hatch speaker wires forward to the sail panels on each side... No, you're not running both sail panel speakers on one channel - you are running the left rear and right rear channels to the corresponding sail panel speaker so your balance and fade will work as you would expect. But yes, you are giving up the two sub channels from the amp. This shouldn't be a problem since you have a separate sub to replace the lost bass (and then some).
Old 06-10-2010, 09:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad i stumbeled upon this thread im about to replace my stereo also.