Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Polk Audio...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 08:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Polk Audio...

http://cgi.ebay.com/POLK-AUDIO-DB650...item3efbd8b4ca

Just wondering if anyone has these... I have heard them and I think they sound amazing for the price. I am not looking for the best sound out there, it is for me and me only. As long as it sounds better than factory I will be extremely pleased. I only drive the car about 2 times a week and take it to the track. I listen to rock/heavy so I care nothing for "bump".

Also wondering if they are compatible with my car. I will NOT take out the factory CD player... '00 TA.. I know some speakers won't fit without modifying (cutting the body).

Sorry, I am a noob with this stuff. Any advice/input/comments are welcome, thanks!

Planning on a professional putting them in.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have those exact speakers in my doors and not only do they sound better than stock, they sound better than just about any speakers I've heard.

I crank these bad boys up and drive 70 mph on the highway with the t-tops off, windows down, and they sound perfectly clear with no distortion to speak of.

You won't be disappointed with these. Great sound, great price, easy install.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

great speakers at the price
Old 06-08-2010, 07:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i have the polk db 6.5 in my front doors and the 4' db in the very vary back panels and its the cleanest combo i have ever owned i can blast my 12' rocksford fosgate and hear all the words perfectly nothing is drowned out. def would go with them man you wont be dissapointed.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Awesome guys... And the install is pretty straight forward? Do I need an amp? These are the only speakers I will have hooked up.
Any of you on stock Cd player?
Old 06-09-2010, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lemons12
Awesome guys... And the install is pretty straight forward? Do I need an amp? These are the only speakers I will have hooked up.
I'm using the stock amp and stock headunit. Hardest part of the install is getting the door panels on and off.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well if you go with anything over 6 3/4 or 6 1/2 you will have to do some moodification it only took me a half hour to get all the speakers in and splice everything in. i had all of them in my 02 firebird which had monsoon and still had the stock radio and it was such a great combo i am going to be running an amp with them just because it makes that much of a difference. but you dont have to run an amp if you have the monsoon or if you have an aftermarket stereo it just makes the system sound tons better if you do with these.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well.. After talking with a well informed guy on this kind of stuff, I think I will be going with Kee audio premium package (2nd one down). They are made to work with the stock head unit. The premium package requires an external amp though.

Any suggestions on an amp? I want something affordable and small (as in weight).
Old 06-20-2010, 10:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

One more thing.. I want to be able to use my Mp3 player/Ipod with the stock unit (while sounding cd quality).. Best way about this?
Old 06-26-2010, 02:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One more thing.. I want to be able to use my Mp3 player/Ipod with the stock unit (while sounding cd quality).. Best way about this?
Have you seen the writeup about tapping a input jack into the cd changer wiring? I think it's a sticky, if not a search should find it.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Gordo78
Have you seen the writeup about tapping a input jack into the cd changer wiring? I think it's a sticky, if not a search should find it.
I did... Was looking for something a little more simple than that. Think I might just be going aftermarket head unit though so won't even have to worry about that.