Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Here is what i'm doing+question

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here is what i'm doing+question

So I am gonna ditch the OEM HU in my car. Also ditch the monsoon amp. I have a 10"sub and amp already that will sound good in the hatch. As far as door and sail panel speakers go, I am thinking I will buy 4 coaxial 6.5"/6.75" speakers for that role. Running new wire will not be a big deal. My question is should I be trying to buy 3-ways or just regular 2-way speakers? I've hooked up alot of speaker stuff before, but I never really payed any attention to sound difference of the two. Of course I understand that a pos 3-way will prolly not sound as good as a high end 2-way. Anyways opinions welcome!

thanks
Old 09-07-2010, 10:14 PM
FormerVendor

Low end 2 way vs low end 3 way = 3 way winner
high end 2 way vs low end 3 way = 2 way winner
high end 3 way vs high end 2 way = 3 way winner

Really you can go back and forth and get a 100% Solid..... Maybe on what is better. You can pick up a solid set of 6.5" component speakers for about $100 which is the way i would recommend. That way you can setup your sound stage, get the tweeters in a position where you are more likely to hear them.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Right now I am looking at the $40-$60 range kenwoods, rockfords, JVC, and some Clarions. Mostly 3-ways so thats prolly what I will end up with. Component would be nice, but I am already spending enough money on this stuff. Sucks when the car has absolutely nothing I can reuse. Speakers crackle/sound like ****. CD player doesn't play cd's. Any brand really better out of these. I know its hard to say w/o model number and all that. I would assume I should get all the same brand. Rockfords have the lowest wattage at 80 max, where the others are like 180watts, but I doubt thats gonna make significant difference running these off the HU.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:27 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Why can't you re-use the Monsoon amp? Granted, it's not the most powerful amp around but it's better than head unit power alone and it produces clean amplification. Not to mention the cost is right - you already have it.

Also, why would you even consider putting coaxial speakers in the doors when the door panels are clearly designed for components? Components will always sound better than coaxials of equal quality.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Why can't you re-use the Monsoon amp? Granted, it's not the most powerful amp around but it's better than head unit power alone and it produces clean amplification. Not to mention the cost is right - you already have it.

Also, why would you even consider putting coaxial speakers in the doors when the door panels are clearly designed for components? Components will always sound better than coaxials of equal quality.
well im on a budget, and just looking for some decent sound. im not against components, they are just more than i need or want price wise. i can always do components down the road and throw a decent 4 channel amp on highs and mids. for now im looking at a pioneer cd player with usb for $110 and 4 coaxials for $100, then use my sub and amp i already have, my wife is gonna freak out as it is. im always spending money on the car. however, i would like to hear your suggestion on using the monsoon amp and throwing components in there, how would i go about doing this?
Old 09-08-2010, 09:33 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

You're not going to be able to do much on a $100 budget for speakers. You can get 6.5" component sets for the doors for around $100 but sail panel speakers would add to the cost. Kee Audio (a sponsor here) has a complete package that includes speakers specifically matched to the Monsoon amp for $279. You can tell your wife that these are quality speakers that you won't have to throw away later when you do further upgrades (4 channel amp, etc.) although you may find that this setup along with your sub and amp will be enough that you won't need a later upgrade.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for all the help guys
Old 09-09-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So I could basically buy components for the doors, and coaxials for the sail panels and then pull the connection off the hatch speakers and run the wires to the sail panels to get full range sound? How are the door components wired? Is the tweeter one connection and the woofer another connection? Or are they wired together?
Here is another question for you=Lets say I bought some (for example) Prime R1652-S rockford phosgates. When I look at them it says they are 4ohms. So would these have a seperate connection for tweeter and woofer. Or do they wire together for a single 4ohm connection?
I just don't want to drop money on stuff that only works well with the monsoon amp. Also, would like to leave all the factory wiring alone so that if I decide to sale the car, everything can be put back in to stock trim. Thats why I said earlier I just wanted to run new wire and keep it simple for now.

thanks