Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Custom ported trunk box with digital designs 8"

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 03:18 AM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Custom ported trunk box with digital designs 8"

so me and a buddy of mine ventured out on building a custom fitted ported box for the trunk of my car, and for my digital designs 8" sub woofer. We started about 5pm, and finished it up around 1am tonight. the only thing that needs to be figured out is a way to cover the sections of wood not able to be covered by the vinyl in the very corners of the port due to not being able to stretch it that far. other than that, for 1 8" dvc 4ohm sub which is seriously underpowered it beats down the block pretty hard. I'll be getting a new amplifier to power it accordingly because it's only running off about 150watts at the moment. i'm extremely happy with the fitment and overall cleanliness though, and it's completely removable. trunk liner is all intact along with the t-top holders. and the vinyl matches practically perfectly in the daylight. better pictures will be taken tomorrow in the daylight, the dark blurry pictures don't do it justice.

what do you guys think?
Old 09-12-2010, 04:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all that for a single 8". I'm confused.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:04 AM
scj
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Snake_Skinner
all that for a single 8". I'm confused.
You're confused because it's not about quantity or size, it's about quality and efficency.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like a great fit.. and good job for making it match so well..
Old 09-12-2010, 09:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by scj
You're confused because it's not about quantity or size, it's about quality and efficency.
I believe the question is, if this sub could work in the stealth box (specs wise, air space) then why make a box that takes up the whole trunk.

I'm not downing you, just emphasizing what might be snake skinner's point.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:50 AM
FormerVendor

I think it looks fantastic, and I bet it sounds nice too. Where you put a speaker and how you design a box are important. Stealth enclosures are nice and they don't take up room but I am going to bet this sounds better.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:10 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by meine96ws6
It looks like a great fit.. and good job for making it match so well..
Thanks man, we accidentally found the vinyl, and it just so happen to match perfectly.
Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
I believe the question is, if this sub could work in the stealth box (specs wise, air space) then why make a box that takes up the whole trunk.

I'm not downing you, just emphasizing what might be snake skinner's point.
to answer you're question as far as if a sub could work in a stealth box like this, no. Digital Designs sub woofers are specifically made for ported enclosures, trying to make a stealth box ported would be an epic fail, unless you're some kind of genius when it comes to mathematics with building ported boxes. This particular sub the DDt1508-d4 is recommended for 1cu foot of air space plus the port which would be impossible to squeeze out of a stealth box like enclosure, and running this sub sealed would destroy it's voice coils. Also understand this box is not the size of the outer cover(visible part) that's a fitted faceplate on the box itself, and the box is beneath it.
as far as taking up the whole trunk, it doesn't matter. this car is not going to be a daily, and nothing will ever be put in the trunk. and even when it was, i never put anything in the trunk anyways.
Originally Posted by SparksAI
I think it looks fantastic, and I bet it sounds nice too. Where you put a speaker and how you design a box are important. Stealth enclosures are nice and they don't take up room but I am going to bet this sounds better.
thanks man!
yes, i can def. say this sounds better than any stealth setup i've ever heard.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:33 PM
scj
TECH Addict

here are some better daytime pictures.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

Looks clean for what it is. I think it wasn't worth taking up all the room for an 8" but the work quality looks nice. Amp in the spare tire well or underneath?
Old 09-12-2010, 09:46 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cfallsguy
Looks clean for what it is. I think it wasn't worth taking up all the room for an 8" but the work quality looks nice. Amp in the spare tire well or underneath?
I think you are all underestimating this sub and enclosure combination. Now being that it's underpowered it's not going to perform to it's uttermost capability, but I've personally seen this sub and the appropriate airspace and port tuning push 145db in a crx's hatch area. It's only running on about 150watts when the rms is 500watts; so it has alot more potential than it is Currently running now. Eventually I will upgrade the amp and give it what it needs. I was going for a clean, simple, and quality setup and I'm very happy with the outcome and I think it is right on par for what I was going for. The amp is mounted on top of the battery box in the spare tire well.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

very nice work.

Last edited by FL Junkie; 09-12-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:01 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FL Junkie
very nice work.

thanks man!
Old 09-12-2010, 11:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by scj
I think you are all underestimating this sub and enclosure combination. Now being that it's underpowered it's not going to perform to it's uttermost capability, but I've personally seen this sub and the appropriate airspace and port tuning push 145db in a crx's hatch area. It's only running on about 150watts when the rms is 500watts; so it has alot more potential than it is Currently running now. Eventually I will upgrade the amp and give it what it needs. I was going for a clean, simple, and quality setup and I'm very happy with the outcome and I think it is right on par for what I was going for. The amp is mounted on top of the battery box in the spare tire well.
Nope not underestimating the 8" at all, I've seen them do some impressive numbers for what they are. I was siimply stating all that room taken for an 8" wouldn't have been my first choice, but it's different and if you don't need the room then I don't see a problem. The DD and Sundown 8's are getting pretty popular.
By the way, what's it tuned to and box dimensions for it?
Old 09-12-2010, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nice man!

DD's are no joke. people are saying "all that for a single 8?"

this 8 has enough punch to sound like a cheaper brand 15" when ported and givin the power
Old 09-13-2010, 02:21 AM
scj
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cfallsguy
Nope not underestimating the 8" at all, I've seen them do some impressive numbers for what they are. I was siimply stating all that room taken for an 8" wouldn't have been my first choice, but it's different and if you don't need the room then I don't see a problem. The DD and Sundown 8's are getting pretty popular.
By the way, what's it tuned to and box dimensions for it?
to put it this way i had a Memphis 10" in a stealth box before this setup, and this setup is easily 3x as loud with less wattage. I got this sub 2 weeks old for 1/3 of the price because it was taken out of a trade in vehicle, that's part of my reasoning with choosing this sub, and once doing some research on it, i found it to be very versatile, and quality, so i jumped on the deal.
i'm not exactly sure on the box and tuning specifics because my buddy that does this for a living out of his own shop did all the figures as far as the dimensions of the actual box and port tuning. if i recall it's tuned around 40hz though. not exactly sure, but my buddy knows his ****, and has been doing this for quite some time now. he figured the dimensions and tuning stuff, and we built and wrapped the box.

Originally Posted by Ellsworth
nice man!

DD's are no joke. people are saying "all that for a single 8?"

this 8 has enough punch to sound like a cheaper brand 15" when ported and givin the power
indeed sir!
Old 09-13-2010, 08:49 PM
scj
TECH Addict

heres the port done up better and the separator installed.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:17 PM
Teching In

Hey nice set up i will go ported any day over a stealth box, anyways that looks nice i want but a 10 set up for my Fi ten sub.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:38 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tito01ramair
Hey nice set up i will go ported any day over a stealth box, anyways that looks nice i want but a 10 set up for my Fi ten sub.
thanks man, i'm positive this exact setup could be made for a 10" sub, there's definitely enough room for that to be done, and an Fi ten would beat!
Old 09-14-2010, 10:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

thats amazing looks great
Old 09-14-2010, 11:09 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 6spdchevy
thats amazing looks great
thanks man, i'm really happy with it.

Quick Reply: Custom ported trunk box with digital designs 8"