Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Anyone Have 15's In their ride?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 11:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Have 15's In their ride?

Well after my accident i have been slowly buying parts for my t/a ws6(just bought a fender yesterday). i need to buy the headlight assembley and a new front bumper. So my t/a is under construction. But this past sunday i went to a car show and it was full of old school lowriders and bunch of ghetto *** rides, but the point is most of those cars were all fixed up really nice. The majority of them had BEAT!!!!!!

and well i need some BEAT, something that hits really hard something that people will hear me from blocks away. and i know everyone wants that but most people say they want but won't actually do it. Well i am and that car show just had me thinking what kind of system could i do with my t/a.

my first thought was getting two 15's but has anyone tried that and would it fit?

im guessing it would have to be a custom box to fit.

thanks in advance for anyone that contributes to my thread.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:30 PM
TECH Regular

If you know nothing about audio you can either:
A. Pay a shop to do all your work and you learn nothing of what you have except that it's "beats", which most people do.
B. Start checking out audio forums and learning what there is to know and go from there.

If you're serious about getting something decently set up and doing it yourself, check out www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board It's an audio forum with some of the most knowledgable/known people in the car audio scene, also has some idiots (as every forum does) and you just have to do your research and learn what to do.
But, going around saying you need "beats" is going to get you flamed by pretty much everyone on this board and others as well..

Last edited by cfallsguy; 10-06-2010 at 11:40 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

well i honestly think i made a thread that asks a question saying that i need "BEAT" was just a term to emphasize that i want a good set-up. sorry for being so generic i guess but i just wanted to know if two 15's would be a good set up and how it would sound especially since we have hatches.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:16 AM
TECH Regular

It will fit, but only properly in the backseat. Two 12's ported are a pain to even get the recommended air space per sub, but you can always just go with two sealed 12's in the hatch and it'll sound loud enough. If you're trying to be the guy who can be felt from blocks away, you got a lot of learning to do as it requires quite a bit of power and you gotta do it properly. I've seen people burn wiring harnesses from not having a proper audio setup, so as said have a shop do it or learn what you're doing before just going for it.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:00 AM
TECH Addict

I have a single RE Audio 15 going in my car if I can ever get the damn box finished. The box is in the rear well and is a 3.25 cu. ft. ported box. Its pretty much the most I could get back there without doing fiberglass and it has been a bitch, I could've gone a little bigger but I stopped when I got the correct airspace.

I can't comment on how it sounds yet but it should be pretty damn loud.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:07 AM
TECH Addict

As far as "beat" goes, I think the overall point would be to get the proper box to support what ever size sub you would like to use. Now, IMO I have a sealed box with 2-12's and 2 600 watt amps. At the audio shop it put out over 144.2 db's (which is louder then I would ever listen to it at!!!!) I.E hearing damage levels.
My box setup is fairly simple and it only takes up the flat space behind the rear seats.

Now, do you want 15's for a certain reason? Because, I think you can get that hard+loud bass out of a smaller set up since we have hatches. I hope this post made sense.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by meine96ws6
As far as "beat" goes, I think the overall point would be to get the proper box to support what ever size sub you would like to use. Now, IMO I have a sealed box with 2-12's and 2 600 watt amps. At the audio shop it put out over 144.2 db's (which is louder then I would ever listen to it at!!!!) I.E hearing damage levels.
My box setup is fairly simple and it only takes up the flat space behind the rear seats.

Now, do you want 15's for a certain reason? Because, I think you can get that hard+loud bass out of a smaller set up since we have hatches. I hope this post made sense.
this is really what i was thinking about. Because i would have to put a shitload of money to get a right setup with 15's, and with 12's i know i can have a good setup also for alot cheaper. But i just wanted to know if a pair of 15's has been done. but in reality i will probably end up with 2 12' square subs? do they really bump harder than the round subs?
Old 10-07-2010, 09:49 AM
Staging Lane

15's will so over whelming. I have 10's and they set off car alarms. I shake every window in my house when I pull into the driveway. Camaro's and Firebird's are notorious for being the BEST cars produced when it comes to making some hella bass! I wouldn't go with anything bigger than 12's. Just my .02 Good Luck
Old 10-07-2010, 10:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Chaotic94
15's will so over whelming. I have 10's and they set off car alarms. I shake every window in my house when I pull into the driveway. Camaro's and Firebird's are notorious for being the BEST cars produced when it comes to making some hella bass! I wouldn't go with anything bigger than 12's. Just my .02 Good Luck

what's your set-up?

i heard 10's have the best CLEAN bass and are very recommended
Old 10-07-2010, 10:20 AM
Staging Lane

I have 2 Re Audio SEx10's 2ohm Dual Voice Coil pushed by a Power Acoustik OVN1-3000D Mono Block Amp. Re Audio subs are BY FAR the best I've ever heard. I'm pushing about 1300 watts RMS to two 600 watt RMS subs. So they're a little over powered but I have the gain down on the amp. Sounds Amazing. I built my own box too. That might be a lot of it. My box is 1.5" thick all the way around lol.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:23 AM
Teching In

15s will be too much. go with 12s and save the money that you would have spent on 15s and get something custom looking. i have two memphis CM15s in my truck with a ported box that takes up the entire back seat with 1k watts of power going to each sub. memphis components and tweeters in the door, all powered by alpine amps 1000.2 and a highs amp. if you go with 15s and big power then you will need to do 0guage wiring to the speakers, amps, you will need to upgrade your alternator ($600 for a 300amp like mine) and run new batteries (i have two kinetik hc2400s at $300 a pop) thats if you want to go rediculous like my setup, for every day beat i would run two 12s, JL W3s are a all around good sub, and run a 300.2rms amp on them. with the hatch the bass will load off the back window and really get lounder than if it was in a trunk car. dont neglect your highs though. i cant stand to hear a car that the bass drowns out the highs. my truck can do hair tricks (if you dont know what it is type in youtube)
Old 10-07-2010, 10:26 AM
Teching In

ohh and the square kicker subs are ****. always blowing, there is a reason subs have been round since the 70s and continue to be round. you see very few competition vehicles running solobarics. the cones are always blowing. if you want a show 15" sub go with the orion sub, its got a red casing is mamoth, cant remember what the name is
Old 10-07-2010, 10:29 AM
TECH Regular

There really isn't a difference in square to round subs, it all depends on the quality. I have two DC lvl 3 12's with a 1200w US Amp and it's loud enough. I'm always told it's heard blocks away even when I'm not going full tilt. I'd say about 80% of how loud it is comes from the box design, 20% in the equipment used. Don't get cheap equipment as the amps usually never do rated power and the subs will be of poor quality, just get some good stuff the first time and save yourself the time/money, trust me. Try craigslist for some deals local to you if you're on a budget and don't want new, I found my US Amp md1d for $125 on there that was barely used and still worked amazingly.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Launching!

I've had 2 12 Kicker L5's in my old camaro, it was really loud and clean sounding. Ive had 1 10 in a stealth box and now 2 10's in a subthump box in my firebird and its decent but not the earth pounding, hear me from a mile away kind of sound that you seem to be looking for. Im about to downsize to 2 SA-8s in a ported box and i expect to be pleasantly suprised with how loud they will get. I think you'd be happy with 2 12's, a properly designed box and good power.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:35 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by enforcer
15s will be too much. go with 12s and save the money that you would have spent on 15s and get something custom looking. i have two memphis CM15s in my truck with a ported box that takes up the entire back seat with 1k watts of power going to each sub. memphis components and tweeters in the door, all powered by alpine amps 1000.2 and a highs amp. if you go with 15s and big power then you will need to do 0guage wiring to the speakers, amps, you will need to upgrade your alternator ($600 for a 300amp like mine) and run new batteries (i have two kinetik hc2400s at $300 a pop) thats if you want to go rediculous like my setup, for every day beat i would run two 12s, JL W3s are a all around good sub, and run a 300.2rms amp on them. with the hatch the bass will load off the back window and really get lounder than if it was in a trunk car. dont neglect your highs though. i cant stand to hear a car that the bass drowns out the highs. my truck can do hair tricks (if you dont know what it is type in youtube)
15's aren't a whole lot more then 12's, but it really depends on how much power you plan to throw at the subs, the more power you need the sub to handle the more expensive it is. Your setup sounds like a little bit of overkill for just 3kw, but going past 2kw is where it starts getting expensive.
What is your budget? Helps to know your range so we can recommend a good setup.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chaotic94
Dude, I hear ya, I have 1 10" MTX enclosure in my car and it hits like a mother. The only issue is that the I have the built-in AMP and it sucks (~250w). It clips if i turn it up to far.

Anyways, two 10's will def "bump". lol
Old 10-07-2010, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

One 15 in a small ported enclosure is all you'll get in the rear well, if you want 2 ported you'll need to go with a rear seat area enclosure. If you want it really loud and deep, make sure you go with a low tuned (28hz-35hz) custom ported enclosure.
I run 2 IDMAX 10's ported(28hz) w/2k watts rms and it hurts when I crank it up!
Old 10-07-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my buddy has done 4 15s at one point in a ws6. Did 2 of them in a well box and 2 more on rear deck
Old 10-07-2010, 09:28 PM
TECH Regular

I had two 15 inch Fosgate subs in a subthump box and they fit in the trunk well. I had them wired to an amp and that was to a Sony headunit. It most certainly beat. I had 350 in the subs and box and about 400 in my amp and then another 300 in my headunit.

Around 100 in misc stuff like wiring and connectors and such.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Staging Lane

my budget i guess would be around 600 to 700 bucks on some good "BEAT"