Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
Old 04-29-2016, 12:51 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

interior lights and door locks dont work help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default interior lights and door locks dont work help!

i have a 99 camaro ss and yesterday when i was driving i put on my light that is on my mirror on and it started to flicker then went out i turned it on again and it did the same think now none of my interior lights turn on and all its weird too cause my door locks wont work please help thanks
Old 02-19-2011, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

bump!!!!!!!!
Old 02-19-2011, 05:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Courtesy fuse, my rear dome light wiggled loose and blew about 3 fuses til I tracked it down, every time I turned all the lights on it kept contacting and coming loose
Old 02-19-2011, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

i checked the fuses and they are fine i even changed the bulbs too
Old 02-20-2011, 11:20 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

There are two wires going to the bulbs. One to power them when the doors are open and another to power the switches on the mirror full-time.

Do the bulbs act differently when you use the mirror switch vs. opening the door?

Do your power locks work differently when you use the remote fob vs. the door switch? Are both door lock switches inactive?
Old 02-20-2011, 01:03 PM
On The Tree

the lights dont work at all , even when i unlock the doors. Both doors i cant lock the doors manually or with the key fob. The drivers door i can press the unlock button and it will unlock the drivers door, but nothing happens with the passenger door i looked at the light in the glove box yesterday and it looks like the black wire was touching the metel would that be related? its just really weird and driving me nuts. Another think i noticed is when i hit the lock button on the door or the key fob i hear a clicking noisce behind the dash, i dont hear anything when i try to lock the doors. Do the relays behind the radio have anything to do with the door locks? Another think just curious i just had long tubes, wires, plugs, and a ls6 intake put on friday that wouldnt make that happen would it?

Last edited by stanggreg90; 02-20-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Did you at least try the courtesy fuse? It may look okay but is actually blown, I had this same issue about 2 months ago
Old 02-20-2011, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

i changed the fuse twice, just noticed to when i get out of the car the lights flash and if i dont unlock the car before i get into it the alarm goes off

Last edited by stanggreg90; 02-20-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

bump!!!!!
Old 02-21-2011, 04:26 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by stanggreg90
the lights dont work at all , even when i unlock the doors. Both doors i cant lock the doors manually or with the key fob. The drivers door i can press the unlock button and it will unlock the drivers door, but nothing happens with the passenger door i looked at the light in the glove box yesterday and it looks like the black wire was touching the metel would that be related? its just really weird and driving me nuts. Another think i noticed is when i hit the lock button on the door or the key fob i hear a clicking noisce behind the dash, i dont hear anything when i try to lock the doors. Do the relays behind the radio have anything to do with the door locks? Another think just curious i just had long tubes, wires, plugs, and a ls6 intake put on friday that wouldnt make that happen would it?
Not sure I'm following everything. When you say the lights don't work at all, does that mean they flicker when you use the switch and open the doors?

How does your dome light work, back by the hatch? Does it behave the same when you turn the switch by the headlights and when you open the doors.

So, is the following correct for the locks?
- Lock and unlock does not work from the key fob.
- Lock does not work from either lock button on either door.
- Unlock only works from the driver's side button.

I ask the above in an effort to figure out if your problem is in wiring or in the BCM. (The BCM contains relays that work some of this stuff.)

Can you post a pic of the wire you are talking about behind the glove compartment?
Old 02-21-2011, 05:31 PM
On The Tree

The interior lights do not work at all now after they flicker the one time, the dimmer switch does not make them go on either.

Dome light bye the hatch dosnt work either.

From the key fob unlock works but only for the drivers door, nothing with the passenger door.

Lock buttons do not work on either door can only unlock on drivers side, passenger door lock and unlock does nothing.

Unlock only works from the driver's side button.

Using key fob when locking the car outside lights flash like normal, but do not lock the doors.When i get out of the car and close the door its like the car is locking itself, the lights flash outside of the car. If i dont unlock the car before i get into it the alarm will go off.

Can have a pic of the glove box tonight its the wire for the light that is in the glovebox when you open it it turns on
Old 02-21-2011, 07:30 PM
Save the manuals!

The locks and lights all go through the BCM. The flickering lights and inconsistent locks would point to a BCM problem, but...

The switches on the mirror are not connected to the BCM and the left and right lock switches are connected to each other before they get to the BCM.

So, it seems that something is really hosed. (I doubt the glove compartment light would be related.)

How long have you had the car? Did the problem just start all of a sudden? Have you installed any electronics or any other accessories recently? Has the car been driven off a cliff or set on fire, etc? I wonder if there is a problem with a wiring harness somewhere? Very very strange... How did the glove compartment light get tangled up?
Old 02-21-2011, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

That is really messed up i got the car about 4 months ago and everthing was working perfect. I got the long tubes and the intake done wires, plugs on friday. I picked up the car at 3 and the problem started around 9:30 that night . The only other problem i was having with the car is the passengers speaker in the door wasnt working, so i tock off the door panel and looked at it, noticed it was aftermarket one of the wires was hanging off, put the wires back on and it worked. That speaker keeps going in and out for some reason there is 4 wires going to it .
Old 02-23-2011, 10:09 AM
On The Tree

still having the problem guys its driving me nuts lol
Old 02-23-2011, 10:44 AM
Save the manuals!

With the work you had done, was anything moved/touched inside the car - or just the engine compartment? Sometimes, wires get melted touching new pipes, etc. - but these circuits should all be inside the car.

Have you tried trading fuses? I wonder if you have a borderline fuse that looks/tests good but is balky.

You may also have a BCM issue - but it would be odd that two functions would go out on you at the same time.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

i changed the fuse with 3 diffrent ones it didnt help, nothing was changed inside the car bye them i had led lights in the mirror and in the dome light bye the hatch. They where in there for 2 months with no problems. I have the stock ones in there now just to make sure it wasnt them, and the passenger speaker was not working and its aftermarket, it keeps going in and out. The brake light i just noticed on the dash dosnt come on dont know if that would relate to anything. When the lights where flickering that night i didnt smell any burning wires or anything.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:25 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by stanggreg90
i changed the fuse with 3 diffrent ones it didnt help, nothing was changed inside the car bye them i had led lights in the mirror and in the dome light bye the hatch. They where in there for 2 months with no problems. I have the stock ones in there now just to make sure it wasnt them, and the passenger speaker was not working and its aftermarket, it keeps going in and out. The brake light i just noticed on the dash dosnt come on dont know if that would relate to anything. When the lights where flickering that night i didnt smell any burning wires or anything.
Your main issues could be a classic cracked BCM solder joint:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-l...blems-fix.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...lickering.html

For the brake light, your brake handle switch could be bent. If you pull up on the handle with the car running, can you pop the rear hatch? If so, is the car an automatic or manual?
Old 02-23-2011, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

Ok going to check out the bcm first then. So you dont think it could be a ground problem at all? its a 6 speed the hatch does open with it pulled all the way up. Im hopeing this bcm is the problem thanks again for everones help so far i will find the problem lol.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:31 PM
Save the manuals!

It can always be a ground problem, but I think it would be unlikely here since those devices share a ground with other stuff. Since they are on the same circuit, I'd first look at things providing power.

You very well may end up tracing the circuit with a voltage tester at some point to uncover the problem.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

Update, i tock out the bcm and sodered the 4 places. I was hoping it would fix the problem and it didnt dont know if i just need a new bcm or what just really dont want to spend the money for no reason. I noticed one other think while i was messing around with it, when i press the unlock button on the passenger door it just nlocks the door on the drivers side. The unlock and lock rod does nothing on the passenger side, is there a place where the wires plug into each other on the door? The alarm is drving me nuts, when i press the unlock button i have to get in the car pretty quick and put the key in and start it or the dash lights blink and the alarm will go off. And that happens everytime with the passenger door, could it be the passenger door acculator? I dontr think the lights are connected to that?

Quick Reply: interior lights and door locks dont work help!