Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Start won't. . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 10:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Start won't. . .

long story short - dash removed and reconnected. Two connections don't match anything either removed or in right now that I can see.

Alright. . . so I've got a pair of connectors under the steering wheel that aren't connected to anything or each other. I don't see the obvious connection points and the black one (4-wires A-B-C-D Yellow Grey Green Black/white) only has about 5-6 inches of range with which to swing. The blue connector (2-wires A-B Purple/white, Green) has about 15-20 inches. Both are pictured below... The blue 2-wire comes off of the harness block under and left by the clutch pedal. The clutch conformation switch test fine too.

Now I found a ground connection of some type from the passenger side stud for the dash down by the feet... If you open the door and look down, you'll probably see it. Where does this heavy gauge black wire go to???

ALL my electrical works so far (fuel pump pressurizes rails, mirrors move, seat moves, windows operate, headlights (high & low) are fine, horn, signals, brake lights. . . . EVERYTHING) except the start. I can hear the little black box about the size of a cell phone in the center of the dash relay operate when I turn the key to start.

Battery voltage is about 12.2V, lights come on (drops to 12.0V) and when I take to start, headlights turn off and voltage goes back to 12.2V.

IF I've missed anything here, please check https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ld-thread.html

Thanks,

D
Old 04-11-2011, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't tell what those connectors are coming from or do, but I'll state the obvious and hopefully in your frantic searching aren't thinking of.

The wires should be just a little bit longer than they need to be to reach their destination.
You have a starting problem - check along the wires coming out of the steering column as it sounds related to the VATS/ignition system.

Sorry i'm of no more help than that! Good luck man.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:40 PM
11 Second Club

No, I don't mind since you're offering something other than I suck

I can say the blue one comes out of the harness block above the clutch towards your left knee... the two wires there are green & purple w/white... It says PED11 on it. I think it's a manufacturers model #.

The 4-wires for the black one (PED3) are encased in a grey vinyl and heat shrinked right at the connector. They come out of the steering. I know it's not the horn nor is it the signals or emergency blinkers. I seriously doubt it's the stereo controls (I think thats a pair of wire-ribbons) and it's not the air bag. That leaves cruise control and if thats the case, I can snip that one!

BTW... with the clutch switch... I tested it and now I'm confused. When the button is pressed is when the leads test good. For instance...

| 1 2 3 4 | Button out (as in clutch pressed) no connections are good.
| 1=2 3=4 | Button in (as in clutch engaged) connections 1 & 2 are the same as 3 & 4 are.

For some reason I expected the opposite so that a relay would be engergized WITH connections made.

Thank you.

Last edited by Duffster; 04-11-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:45 PM
2TR
On The Tree

I looked and still found nothing. Gotta get some Z's!

The color end connector and wires going into it are listed below for future helpers to solve...

Light Blue ended : <2 wires> A.) Purple with White stripe B.) green.

Black ended: <4 wires> A.) Yellow B.) Grey C.) Green D.) Black with White stripe.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll look at it tomorrow in the daylight and see if I can help you out more
Old 04-11-2011, 11:59 PM
11 Second Club

thanks both
Old 04-12-2011, 12:38 AM
11 Second Club

K..... little black one.. I don't care about.. It's for stereo controls too.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...-controls.html

NEXT! ! !
Old 04-12-2011, 12:59 AM
11 Second Club

Found the other wires being the clutch safety I expected it to be. Theres another damned switch HIGH up in the foot well and it's near impossible to see. I was upside down nose into the brake pedal 4 or 5 times today and never saw it... Now I did and as of 01:00 AM, the wife, kids and neighbors aren't happy w/me

IT"S ALIVE! ! !

Thanks for those who read... kill thread.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:03 AM
2TR
On The Tree

This thread is useless without a VIDEO!
Old 04-12-2011, 11:44 AM
11 Second Club

Knew someone would say that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCVc0IEzmdA