Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Radio, blinkers and windows randomly wont work

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 11:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio, blinkers and windows randomly wont work

These are the issues i'm experiencing. Any ideas or thoughts where to begin?
I HATE electrical work/ issues
it's a 97 camaro
Old 04-28-2011, 12:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hands down its the BCM, theres a sticky around here somewhere on a simple trick to take it out and resodder one joint (at least for my windows), that worked like a charm.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:37 AM
TECH Regular

Here you go.
http://www.fbodyonline.com/how-to-fi...dio-and-locks/
Old 04-28-2011, 06:52 PM
TECH Resident

Thank you!!!!
Old 04-28-2011, 06:58 PM
TECH Resident

oh uh, am i going to be able to see the fault or defect to fix? or am i suppose to go on reheating everything little thing?
Old 04-28-2011, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Get it out, and you should be able to see it. The solder is going to be broken, or something. I did this with my car... It's kinda a pain to get out too.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:08 AM
Teching In

having the same problem, but only w/blinkers and driver window. 02 camaro ss s.o.m i read here yesterday my module is on left side above gas pedal, priced one today at dealer for 130 bucks. i could not find this part on the net, any help on a cheaper one.

Last edited by sunset02ss; 04-29-2011 at 12:17 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 04-29-2011, 04:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Would the BCM also control the alarm?
Old 04-29-2011, 04:06 AM
Staging Lane

Default same thing

is this the reason my driver and pass side windows act up
Old 04-29-2011, 07:01 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by firebird99
Would the BCM also control the alarm?
What's going on with your alarm?

Originally Posted by hookngo
is this the reason my driver and pass side windows act up
Usually when the windows act up then the radio will click off as well, but maybe could just be the windows, not 100% sure so I'm not going to give a definite answer.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:27 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by sunset02ss
having the same problem, but only w/blinkers and driver window. 02 camaro ss s.o.m i read here yesterday my module is on left side above gas pedal, priced one today at dealer for 130 bucks. i could not find this part on the net, any help on a cheaper one.
The BCM solder fix affects only the Retained Accessory Power (RAP) circuit which provides power to the audio system and the windows. It has nothing to do with the turn signals ("blinkers" to use the technical term). It also will always affect both windows and the radio at the same time - if it doesn't then the RAP circuit isn't the problem.

The module near the gas pedal is the window express down module. It's what controls the one-touch down function of the driver's window. It's mounted in a little pocket at the base of the firewall behind the center console above the transmission tunnel (just to the right of the gas pedal). The part number is 12182126 which retails for $124 at the dealer but is available for $72 at gmpartsdirect.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cfallsguy
What's going on with your alarm?
When i set it and walk away it waits about 20-30 seconds and beeps twice and it will do it until i turn it off.I have to get a new alarm before i go on the Hot Rod Power Tour but i hate all after market key fobs i want a stock key fob
Old 05-01-2011, 08:36 AM
TECH Regular

When i set it and walk away it waits about 20-30 seconds and beeps twice and it will do it until i turn it off.I have to get a new alarm before i go on the Hot Rod Power Tour but i hate all after market key fobs i want a stock key fob
So your alarm will randomly go off? Check out your shock sensor in the passenger side quarter panel and see if it's the issue. You will be able to disconnect the harness that's going to it and pull the actual sensor out. Pull it apart and check to see if moisture is in it and if so, take it apart and let it air out for the night. If you don't see any moisture or anything, you may need to replace it if you so choose.
Here's a picture for reference.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

You can get a Hornet 727T from DEI (makers of Viper, etc.) that is an alarm system designed to integrate with factory keyless entry systems. It uses the factory remotes but adds shock sensor, a siren, a starter disable and can be upgraded with accessories such as perimeter or glass break sensors. I installed the older version (700T) and connected it to the factory LED on top of the dash so it looked completely stock. Adding the motion sensor meant I could leave the T-tops off and have the alarm sound if anyone reached inside.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

Man! The thing with the windows and radio cutting out has been pissing me off for months!!! Thought it was hella weird and didn't see any posts on it so I never posted it up myself.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cfallsguy
So your alarm will randomly go off? Check out your shock sensor in the passenger side quarter panel and see if it's the issue. You will be able to disconnect the harness that's going to it and pull the actual sensor out. Pull it apart and check to see if moisture is in it and if so, take it apart and let it air out for the night. If you don't see any moisture or anything, you may need to replace it if you so choose.
Here's a picture for reference.
Thats funny you say that because the day it started doing it it was raining and now it has done it ever since thank you very much im going to just replace it and see what happens
Old 05-03-2011, 08:02 AM
TECH Regular

No need to spend money and replace it at first. My previous camaro had moisture in it so I just took it out for the night to let it dry, then reinstalled and put some tape around the edges of the sensor to seal it up and didn't have anymore issues.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:12 PM

As far as the windows and radio going out I just by-passed the bcm so that the windows and radio doesn't go out anymore. You take the smaller plug that has the brown and blue wires and cut them and just join the two together, it doesn't let you have the 10 min power anymore but its worth it to me cause I can listen to the radio without it going out easy and free fix.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:33 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by lslindquist
As far as the windows and radio going out I just by-passed the bcm so that the windows and radio doesn't go out anymore. You take the smaller plug that has the brown and blue wires and cut them and just join the two together, it doesn't let you have the 10 min power anymore but its worth it to me cause I can listen to the radio without it going out easy and free fix.
Too bad you didn't do some research first. You can fix the broken solder joints on the BCM circuit board in about the same amount of time and still keep your retained accessory power (RAP) circuit.

Quick Reply: Radio, blinkers and windows randomly wont work